Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Question Probably receiving a 700, what am I in for...

Alright, well. I've been put in an interesting situation where a family member is going to give me an e-reader, thus putting an end to my incredible lack of books and so general reading woes.

However, despite my interests in a couple other models, they're pretty damn keen on the PRS 700 - and I really can't look a gift horse in the mouth, nor can I seem to gently change their mind.

I'm a little worried though, I know people out there love their 700s, but in my perusing of this forum and general google searches... I've seen all sorts of frustration about things like:
Dust particles under the screen
Screen contrast lacking when compared to the 505/other devices (due to the touchscreen)
The touchscreen only being useful if you're using the stylus
Screen glare
Sony being a bit iffy on the support side of things
Lack of mobi support
The lack of any open inkpot/hacked firmware/dev/etc

Are these universal issues (aside from the openinkpot/etc)? Do they tend to affect every unit?
Is hacked firmware/what have you bound to arrive any time in the not too distant future?
Is the device suitable for viewing comics on as well as your average novel?
Just how bad is this supposed screen glare in daylight, or say subway lighting?

Anyway, these are my questions. I really have nothing against the device, having never owned one, and never owning an e-reader before, but the masses of complaints worry me a bit

When I used to be able to buy gadgets, I spent a lot of time researching, and would then pick something that suited all or most of my needs, did the things it needs to do better than the other models, and would allow me to tinker with it in some way or another.
This time, I don't have the option, but I still have the questions

Any and all replies about your experience with the 700, and/or whether these issues affect you, etc, are of course greatly appreciated.
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
Well congratulations on the gift. Here's my dealings/experience (never owned one before - have had mine a couple of weeks - used constantly).

Short answer: These issues have not bothered me. I actually read more fiction now than before I got the 700 (mainly non-fiction/educational prior) - because I enjoy it more.

Dust particles under the screen - Haven't had this problem.

Screen contrast lacking when compared to the 505/other devices (due to the touchscreen) - the screen is overall duller than the 505; however, for me, it's not a deal breaker. I haven't encountered any lighting situation that could not be easily overcome by a tilt or turning on the LED lights. Not to be too revealing, but I've used mine in the bathroom; outside at various points of the day; restaurants; before bed; so on and so forth - and haven't thought about returning it.

The touchscreen only being useful if you're using the stylus - generally speaking I don't use the stylus at all. For highlighting text sized at small - I would recommend it - but, on medium, a light drag with a finger works for me in most cases. For turning pages with the touchscreen - I use my thumb (only a small motion needed). And, I use the keyboard the way most use the QWERTYs on their mobiles (two thumbs). And, navigating the menu - I'm all thumbs. Basically, if it isn't highlighting a passage that I can't do with my finger - the stylus never leaves its holster. (People were probably more concerned with smudges - stick to the edges of the screen for page turning, and wash your hands.)

Screen glare - see contrast above. I would say the reflection is more annoying than true glare.

Sony being a bit iffy on the support side of things - no experience thus far.

Lack of mobi support - no problem thus far.

The lack of any open inkpot/hacked firmware/dev/etc - hacking it would void warranty, which would make iffy support a moot point. I'm not too interested in hacking the device itself but, the books are fun to play with.

I would say that your comic experience would be very lacking. The format of a comic is too large for the screen. So, cross-over panels and the like wouldn't be quite the same. Needless to say - no color.

J

Last edited by jbruce; 03-21-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: grammar points
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Well, I'm very, very glad to hear all of that
Thanks for the detailed reply too.

Yes, no colour for comics obviously - but you can't scroll from one section to another on a large image or PDF? Although possibly the refresh time would make the experience a bit sad for anything other than appropriately sized manga.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply too.
Anytime.

RE Comics: With the zoom feature - you can pan by sliding your finger. The refresh is pretty quick. And, obviously full-page panels would be like looking through a keyhole in a door. Manga, and your standard comic strips would probably work out better - since they tend to be the left to right format. With "normal" graphic novels I would think the tediousness of it would ruin the effect (IMHO).

Cheers,
J
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
tali3sin
Connoisseur

All good things to take into consideration
I guess I'll just have to try comics out and see.

Unrelated to everything I said before, the recent news about Google Books + Sony is pretty exciting too.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
lordsilent
Enthusiast
lordsilent began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I read manga on mine all the time, works great. I also dont have problems with glare, i just tilt it a little and its fine.
lordsilent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-700, questions, sony