Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 AM   #46
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
With my reader mounted on /media/KOBOeReader, in
"/media/KOBOeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf" there is an entry:

[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale=en_US

I changed en_US to en_NZ, powered my Glo off then back on, and now it displays the date in proper NZ format DD/MM/YY instead MM/DD/YY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
[...] en_GB gives ddmmyy dates and 24h clock (hadn't expected that).

BEWARE!!! Changing the locale also changes your time zone!

It did for me anyway. I happily read right into the night on UK time... and then my alarm clock woke me up in NL time. Not fun!

Changing my time zone back to NL luckily did not affect my locale settings. Still on ddmmyyyy and 24 hours

EDIT: Hmmmmm that's not to say it won't change back to UK time zone after a sync...

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-22-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #47
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
It did for me anyway. I happily read right into the night on UK time... and then my alarm clock woke me up in NL time. Not fun!
Sounds like you're temporily confused...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #48
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Sounds like you're temporily confused...

But I SWEAR the time changed to an hour earlier! However I just synced, and my time stayed at local Amsterdam time. (Oh, and the sync only used 2% of my battery, from 100% to 98%, nice.) ...So I restarted to see if that caused time zone to go to GB: nope, still on NL time. Weird. (Oh, and battery went from 98% to 100% during startup... suuuuuure.)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #49
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(Oh, and the sync only used 2% of my battery, from 100% to 98%, nice.) ...
(Oh, and battery went from 98% to 100% during startup... suuuuuure.)
Sounds like you're batterily confused...
Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #50
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Sounds like you're batterily confused...
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #51
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
Yes, reloading it fixes the issue, though it's a bit of a faff since the 'BuyNow' button
means they cannot be deleted on the reader. I have to connect to a pc, delete, then
resideload and rename on the device.
It's a bit of a pain as I have half a dozen or so - it would be nice if there was some
other way than using the .kepub.epub extension to persuade the reader to treat
the book as epub3.
but what about any highlights you already had on the "buy now" kepub.epub? I am having exactly the same problem, but if I connect to the laptop and re-send the book I am going to miss my highlight on the book already on the device, is this correct?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #52
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
CurrentLocale unchanged after firmware update

I had CurrentLocale=en_NZ and it didn't change when I updated from the 12th Feb to the 14th Feb version of firmware 2.4.0.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #53
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Beware - there is a bug in the 2.4.0 firmware which means that italics for some fonts only work with a US locale. More details here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...45#post2435445.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #54
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
I had CurrentLocale=en_NZ and it didn't change when I updated from the 12th Feb to the 14th Feb version of firmware 2.4.0.
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Beware - there is a bug in the 2.4.0 firmware which means that italics for some fonts only work with a US locale. More details here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...45#post2435445.
...weird!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock: Beware - there is a bug in the 2.4.0 firmware which means that italics for some fonts only work with a US locale. More details here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...45#post2435445.

...weird!
I couldn't duplicate ShellShock's results using the Charis SIL font which he mentioned as one of those he had problems with. I tried half a dozen en_ locales, fr_CA, fr_FR, nl_NL and ja_JP. None of those locale changes seemed to have any effect on my font tester file. The version of Charis SIL I'm using displayed bold, italic, bold-italic and emphasized correctly, none of the characters went missing, etc. Avenir, Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel showed bold where italic was specified which is a bug that's been there since Kobo moved away from standard .tff files.

Since he mentioned editing the internal font file names, I suspect that he did not follow the Kobo font file naming convention which would lead to not using the correct font in at least some of his testing.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-24-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typos, what else....
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #56
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I tested all the built-in fonts using the test epub in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=87 and it made no difference difference whether CurrentLocale was set to en_US or en_NZ.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 AM   #57
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
I tested all the built-in fonts using the test epub in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=87 and it made no difference difference whether CurrentLocale was set to en_US or en_NZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I couldn't duplicate ShellShock's results using the Charis SIL font which he mentioned as one of those he had problems with. I tried half a dozen en_ locales, fr_CA, fr_FR, nl_NL and ja_JP. None of those locale changes seemed to have any effect on my font tester file. The version of Charis SIL I'm using displayed bold, italic, bold-italic and emphasized correctly, none of the characters went missing, etc. Avenir, Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel showed bold where italic was specified which is a bug that's been there since Kobo moved away from standard .tff files.

Since he mentioned editing the internal font file names, I suspect that he did not follow the Kobo font file naming convention which would lead to not using the correct font in at least some of his testing.
Aaahhh okay I can relax again now then! Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #58
murg
No Comment

So.... does anyone here actually do any reading on their ereaders?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #59
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
So.... does anyone here actually do any reading on their ereaders?

(I finished my book yesterday and I have a problem now. There's no other books on the device. And I can't plug it in to put another book on because I'm letting the battery run down. And I don't want to read a kepub and I don't really want to get a new book through Wifi as that'd negatively influence my battery life during the test
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

(I finished my book yesterday and I have a problem now. There's no other books on the device. And I can't plug it in to put another book on because I'm letting the battery run down. And I don't want to read a kepub and I don't really want to get a new book through Wifi as that'd negatively influence my battery life during the test
Use an SD Card?

Last edited by John F; 02-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote