Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
dumolebob
dumolebob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Dowload Just Calibre w/o any addons

New guy here with trouble downloading a clean Calibre program.

Where can I download Calibre without all the special but annoying addons?
dumolebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumolebob View Post

No way to run Calibre without Windows
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
All official versions of calibre are just that; no more; no less.. Go to http://calibre-ebook.com/download
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

dumolebob,

If you're downloading from the official site (the link PeterT gave you) then there are no 'special' addons - what you get, is what you need to get going.

1. Calibre uses a 'plug-in architecture' - the baseline product includes the plug-ins that Kovid considers necessary to make Calibre 'work'. You could remove any plug-ins that you think superfluous - but usual caveats - be it on your own head if Calibre breaks.

2. Calibre uses the Python language and libraries, this is where Calibre gets its ability to run on most variants of the OS/X. Unix and Windows. Each Python application, I run at 4 of them, 'contains' is own copy of the Python run time system and libraries, hence each is self contained, this reduces the chance they'll interfere with one another because different applications require different Python versions.

I hope this helps

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Whenever I see a post like this I think the person is not looking carefully enough at the download link they are clicking on, and instead are being fooled into downloading something else via an advertisement placed on the same page.

Define what you consider an "annoying addon"? The official calibre download does not install any malware, toolbars, or other "crap" that you will inevitably get if you just blindly accept a link from an advertisement.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
dumolebob
dumolebob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
KJiwidude, you are correct there are several items one can check off of during the DL process! I didn't read the fine print and ended up with a unwanted tool bar or so.!

Otherwise, I do love CALIBRE and have several hundred books in my library. What a great tool it is. I hope many people will take time to make a contribution to the authors as they sure have done a super job!

Thanks to you all for responding to my question!
Bob
dumolebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
KJiwidude, you are correct there are several items one can check off of during the DL process! I didn't read the fine print and ended up with a unwanted tool bar or so.!

Otherwise, I do love CALIBRE and have several hundred books in my library. What a great tool it is. I hope many people will take time to make a contribution to the authors as they sure have done a super job!

Thanks to you all for responding to my question!
Bob
The official calibre download has NO options (other than version).
No toolbars, no frisbies. Just Calibre Win, Win 64, MAC, Linux and portable
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The official calibre download has NO options (other than version).
No toolbars, no frisbies. Just Calibre Win, Win 64, MAC, Linux and portable
I don't know... I'm thinking I might like a frisbee with my download! Would it be a calibre frisbee?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
If you're seeing options then you are not downloading from an approved source. Here are the primary and secondary download locations.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If you're seeing options then you are not downloading from an approved source. Here are the primary and secondary download locations.
What constitutes an 'approved source'. You can download calibre from CNET - http://download.cnet.com/Calibre/300...-10910277.html.

If you click the Jolly Big Green Button you'll get the download via their ad supported installer - which is where the extras will come from.

If you click the Direct Download Link link you get what looks to be a normal calibre-0.9.10.msi file.

I suspect CNET is not the only such download site at which Calibre is available.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 2012-12-15 , 19_13_55.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	97710  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What constitutes an 'approved source'. You can download calibre from CNET - http://download.cnet.com/Calibre/300...-10910277.html.
While I have no doubt you can download calibre from a bunch of similar reputable download sites there are only two sources for downloading calibre pointed to by the developer on calibre's download page. One source is calibre's site itself and the alternate source is Sourceforge. Any other source than these two sites and you might run into any kind of spam or worse on download.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-15-2012 at 06:27 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote