Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Question K3 or PRS-650 for PDF viewing?

Hi,

I know that both devices are not optimised for PDF viewing and require zooming and panning to read PDFs. However, I have a question to the people who have been able to try both devices: which one is the best for PDF viewing in term of interface?

Many thanks in advance.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Vitel
Enthusiast
Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Vitel is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3 (broken), Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Fire, Kindle 4 Black
For viewing PDFs you should get Kindle DX or another device that has at least 8-inch screen. If you have to choose from 6-inch readers, then probably Sony PRS-650 is better because it supports multicolumn mode for PDFs. But that won't help you if your PDF files have single column layout. As for panning, forget about it, e-Ink is too slow for that. I am currently working on a program that would allow reflow of complex pdfs for 6-inch devices, but it is not ready yet and it probably won't be able handle all of the complex pdfs, because there are too many page layouts and designs. Existing tools for PDF conversion and reflow are not very good. So I would seriously consider an ereader with a screen larger than 6 inches.
Vitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
star
star began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, sony 350
Are the pdf's mainly text? If that is the case the sony readers will allow you to reflow the text to fit the screen. The kindle 3 does not do that. I have a sony 350 and a kindle 3, and pdf is far better on the sony. That being said, if it is just a txt pdf, I can convert it to mobi using mobipocket creator and it looks great on the kindle. The problem is, I have a lot of pdfs, hence having two readers.

If there are a lot of charts and graphs in your pdf files, go with something larger like the Kindle DX or the Sony larger version.
star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Of those two device, the Sony is better because, as stated, it supports reflow; the Kindle does not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Does Sony support PDF links? (Kindle does not)

Also how do annotation features compare?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, the Sony support hyperlinks in PDF files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
Hi,

I know that both devices are not optimised for PDF viewing and require zooming and panning to read PDFs. However, I have a question to the people who have been able to try both devices: which one is the best for PDF viewing in term of interface?

Many thanks in advance.
You might want to check this thread. I asked the same thing and there are screen shots provided by friendly members here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99064
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Many thanks for your answers and advice.

Unfortunately, the DX is not distributed in the UK, and is too pricey for me.
Regarding the choice between a K3 and the Sony, it is a dilemma. I will not read only PDFs, so it is not crucial. Furthermore the network capability of the Kindle makes it very interesting, although I will not buy DRM books by principle (but the wireles has other useful usage than buying through Amazon).

How the reflow makes PDF reading so much better? I looked at the pictures side by side of the two devices, and it was not clear to me the PDF on the Kindle was not readable. Are there other reasons, such as the zooming and page navigation handling? I mean is it easier to change columns in the Sony that is not practical with the K3?

Thanks.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
Many thanks for your answers and advice.

Unfortunately, the DX is not distributed in the UK, and is too pricey for me.
Regarding the choice between a K3 and the Sony, it is a dilemma. I will not read only PDFs, so it is not crucial. Furthermore the network capability of the Kindle makes it very interesting, although I will not buy DRM books by principle (but the wireles has other useful usage than buying through Amazon).

How the reflow makes PDF reading so much better? I looked at the pictures side by side of the two devices, and it was not clear to me the PDF on the Kindle was not readable. Are there other reasons, such as the zooming and page navigation handling? I mean is it easier to change columns in the Sony that is not practical with the K3?

Thanks.
Regarding reflow, you can get the flavor of this using Adobe Reader to look at a given PDF. It has a Reflow mode. From the little I have played with it, it is not something you can count on to improve small screen reading of PDFs. Sometimes it works okay (with simple text layout), but some PDFs I tried would not reflow at all, and others turned to mush.

So while it is probably a good option to have (and hopefully Amazon will add this feature at some point), its effectiveness will depend on the PDFs you attempt to use it on.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote