Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Rumor: Sony Reader in Canada on June 1st?

Reported by knigolub from the-ebook.org forums. Rough translation:

Quote:
A few days ago I've met a guy with the Sony Reader in Montreal's metro. He said he was at a Sony conference and Sony Canada announced that Reader sales will start on June 1st.
Source: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...?p=78413#78413
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Now when was that conference? I would have loved to be there.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
Boy I hope this is true. Not being able to use Connect without getting Leaping Gnome to buy gift certificates for me.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Great news if it's true! If they're expanding to Canada a European launch is probably not far behind, probably by the holiday season I expect.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
I got news from a SONYStyle store that a Canadian Connect store will open soon. They didn't mention ebooks though... looked more like selling content for SONY's mp3(???) walkmans, PSPs and stuff like that.
Definitely once they have the store up and running it will be easier to bring the reader to the Canadian market, but I guess they need publishing deals as well.
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This ties in with the strongly rumoured June UK launch. Perhaps a more general launch is being done then? Let's hope so!

Last edited by HarryT; 04-18-2007 at 01:45 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
sic, they've had a Connect Music store for a while in the US, long before the Connect book store.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
After reading this "rumor", I wrote an email to iLiad, ask them when will them build dealership in Canada, they say no plan.
Heyhey, seems they have too good selling score to willing bo business in Canada.

the Tax is really a barrier for buying Sony reader or iLiad in Canada. 349 us$ in US means around 400us$ for Canadian customers, shit
jimmyzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzou
the Tax is really a barrier for buying Sony reader or iLiad in Canada. 349 us$ in US means around 400us$ for Canadian customers, shit
Come on ...
have a look at the forums for how much Europeans have to pay in tax/duties/VAT for Reader. Most folks that have officialy imported their Readers have paid around 70$ ON TOP of the US VAT (which is some 20 bucks). Plus Europeans have to pay for shipping, handling, money transfer and usually also for the air they breathe while waiting for their Readers.
In my country, for example, VAT alone for a 350USD Reader would be 80USD.

a small example:
mac mini.
Identical models.
USA on line store price: $599
my country on line store price: $877
a modest 147% of the "usa price"

Sigh ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
is a price for europe before any tax is applied. 350 the reader + 50 shipping.
My tax was 90$ (£48) on top of the 400$ mentioned above. So, you Canadian are very lucky and get it almost for free in comparison to Europeans

Last edited by astra; 04-20-2007 at 08:22 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:13 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I paid £67, which is about US$135, in taxes and other import duties on mine!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:14 AM   #12
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
me too
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
After reading this "rumor", I wrote an email to iLiad, ask them when will them build dealership in Canada, they say no plan.
Heyhey, seems they have too good selling score to willing bo business in Canada.

It cost me an additional $127.29Cad to bring it in. There is only taxes on a max of $60.00 savings if you mark it as 'gift' while shipping. Which amounts to a whopping $7.35 savings!!! Thanks! Mr Harper!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
Boy I must be lucky. I did not have to pay any custom fees at all. I just had to pay US to Canadian dollar exchange at the time of purchase.

Must be my good living! ;-)
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
BrokenBird
Architect
BrokenBird began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Well I picked mine up during a business trip to the U.S. so no duty fees nor taxes. :-) I hate traveling but just for this it was worth it.
BrokenBird is offline   Reply With Quote