Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
A few software issues

Hi,
so, I have my new T3S for a while, the euphoria is gone and I'm struggling with the Reader software on both sides of the USB cable and (after some googling, of course) hope for your assistance:
  • On the PC: Switching off syncing with the T3S in Reader for PC causes most of my books to be removed from the T3S. Wow?? So I stopped using Reader for PC and download my books via Wifi or copy them directly to the READER drive. Is the latter a good idea?
  • On the T3S (without PC connection) I cannot delete books. Only remove them from a collection but they are still in the default book collection. So I have to connect the T3S to a PC and delete the books from the READER drive. 2nd wow??
  • While reading, when I create a note at the bottom of a page, the popup dictionary entry covers the note text, so I cannot edit the selection. Minor nuisance. Is it possible to switch off the dictionary function?
  • As far as I see, sorting notes alphabetically works only across all books and cannot be limited to a book or collection, which would be what I want when I create notes for use as index entries for my current book or series. 3rd wow?? A stunningly useless sorting function. I'd rather call it merge.

I'm really impressed by the software quality after more than 5 years of development.
Do you have similar issues, maybe on a T2, or any ideas on how to overcome mine?

Thanks in advance,
hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Copying books directly to the T3 is absolutely fine. No need to use the Reader software.

Personally I'd suggest maintaining your book library in Calibre, and letting Calibre add and delete books for you. That's what I do with all my reading devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Once you've synced the device to the software you cannot delete the book. That's the way the system is set up. I hate it too. I don't mind buying my books through the software but I either put them on manually, through Calibre or download on the device itself. I NEVER use sync. I'd say start from scratch. Connect the device to the PC, remove all the books through the Sony software so nothing is synced.

Make sure you have it set up to NOT automatically open & sync with the Sony software when you connect your device to your PC and then you can drag and drop at will. I'm also in agreement with Harry's statement of using Calibre to put your books on.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
Hi,
so, I have my new T3S for a while, the euphoria is gone and I'm struggling with the Reader software on both sides of the USB cable and (after some googling, of course) hope for your assistance:
  • On the PC: Switching off syncing with the T3S in Reader for PC causes most of my books to be removed from the T3S. Wow?? So I stopped using Reader for PC and download my books via Wifi or copy them directly to the READER drive. Is the latter a good idea?
  • On the T3S (without PC connection) I cannot delete books. Only remove them from a collection but they are still in the default book collection. So I have to connect the T3S to a PC and delete the books from the READER drive. 2nd wow??
  • While reading, when I create a note at the bottom of a page, the popup dictionary entry covers the note text, so I cannot edit the selection. Minor nuisance. Is it possible to switch off the dictionary function?
  • As far as I see, sorting notes alphabetically works only across all books and cannot be limited to a book or collection, which would be what I want when I create notes for use as index entries for my current book or series. 3rd wow?? A stunningly useless sorting function. I'd rather call it merge.

I'm really impressed by the software quality after more than 5 years of development.
Do you have similar issues, maybe on a T2, or any ideas on how to overcome mine?

Thanks in advance,
hansl
I am pretty sure you can delete the books from the book list, same as T1 or T2.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am pretty sure you can delete the books from the book list, same as T1 or T2.
Not on the device itself if it's been synced with the Sony software you can't.
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Not on the device itself if it's been synced with the Sony software you can't.
Not doubting you, but is there really no way to delete a book on the device using the device software? Seems totally weird and not at all like the other Sony readers.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Not doubting you, but is there really no way to delete a book on the device using the device software? Seems totally weird and not at all like the other Sony readers.

Helen
It is like the T1 and T2 when using Reader for PC. Use Calibre and you have a lot more control over what you can do.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:

Helen
It depends entirely on how the book was put on the device. Again, if it was synced with the Sony software, nope. You can't delete it on the device itself. Major PITA! This nonsense started with the T1.

If you downloaded it via wifi on the device, yes. If you connect the device to the computer and drag & drop it onto the device, yes. If you put it on via Calibre, yes.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
It depends entirely on how the book was put on the device. Again, if it was synced with the Sony software, nope. You can't delete it on the device itself. Major PITA! This nonsense started with the T1.

If you downloaded it via wifi on the device, yes. If you connect the device to the computer and drag & drop it onto the device, yes. If you put it on via Calibre, yes.
I use the Reader software and have not had a problem deleting synced books from my PRS-T1.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Hopefully I will have my PRS-T3 next week. (Brought to me by a friend visiting England). I intend to only use Adobe Digital Editions to manage the books on the T3, just as I have been doing with my Kobo Touch.

I will check out these items you have raised and report back with my experience.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:

I never had any problem deleting books on T2 and T3 or using Reader for PC application.

If you purchased any book from the Reader Store, then the purchased records will be shown on the library, but you cannot obviously delete them. Otherwise, you won't be able to download again from the Reader Store because the purchase records (indicated with an arrow pointing downward on the thumbnail) are only trigger points allowing you to download again whether you use T3 or Reader for PC.

This would be the only explanation for some people who are confused with actual ebooks already being downloaded vs purchase record indicators meaning books are ready to download. The latter cannot be deleted unless the purchased books are being downloaded and deleted if you do not wish to have them in your local storage.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance,
hansl
For your question, "While reading, when I create a note at the bottom of a page, the popup dictionary entry covers the note text, so I cannot edit the selection. Minor nuisance. Is it possible to switch off the dictionary function?",

The dictionary function cannot be turned off, but you could change the font size to change the location of the particular passage you wish to annotate.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #13
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
I thank you all for your thoughts and workarounds.
Regarding deletion of books, I fear that I need to stick to the "start from scratch" approach by Shopaholics. I really can't delete any book from the device when it is not plugged to my PC. Even wifi downloaded books. Maybe I produced an inconsistent state on my reader after sync on and off several times.
I'll try Calibre as management tool.

Another issue is that when I don't use Reader for PC I might lose the capability to backup notes together with the respective books. I'll check that too.

Thanks again,
hansl

Last edited by hansl; 10-24-2013 at 04:36 AM.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Try selecting the word and then move your finger to the right or left and the dictionary should disappear. If it is only the single word you want to add the note to rather than a phrase, then after the dictionary disappears move your finger back so just the word remains highlighted.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Lose your limitations .......

As a Sony reader fan of reasonably long standing, with a fair few devices to play with, and an admirer and satisfied user of said devices, my advice would be ..... lose the Sony software, it's junk !

Stick with Calibre, and make life so much simpler for yourself !

(And pick up some "Cleaning Tools" while you're at it and expand your horizons ............ )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote