Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Anyone had a problem with the power switch?

My sleep mode doesn't work (it prompts for shut-down when I flick the switch). I'm beginning to think I have may have a faulty on/off switch. I know this has occurred with 505's. Does anyone know if it can happen with x50's?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I don't know. But my 600 had problems with the power switch so I would not be surprised. I would have to slide it like 5 times sometimes to get it to go to sleep.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Mine is fine is far as I know.

Actually I never physically put mine into sleep mode, just close the cover and let it put itself to sleep. So far flicking the switch has always brought it back to life again.

Have you tried resetting it?
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Mine is fine is far as I know.

Actually I never physically put mine into sleep mode, just close the cover and let it put itself to sleep. So far flicking the switch has always brought it back to life again.

Have you tried resetting it?
Yes, multiple times, incl. hard factory resets. As long as I don't touch that switch, everything seems to work. I might have to open it up.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good luck with that.

Hopefully it will be something you can sort out yourself with having to resort to sending to Sony.

Mine is now about 10 months old so I'm starting to think the troubles may well start soon, although my old 600 was/is faultless.
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Rizla:

Question: does the power switch function normal for switching ON?

If yes, I suggest to do that:

Update your reader with a newer custom build of PRS+ (you could make it yourself or could grasp it there: http://erhartc.bplaced.net/ereader/).

Assign in PRS+ options a custom user gesture (say a down swipe) to go into sleep mode.

So you need the power button just for switching the reader ON, not for switching it OFF.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Rizla:

Question: does the power switch function normal for switching ON?

If yes, I suggest to do that:

Update your reader with a newer custom build of PRS+ (you could make it yourself or could grasp it there: http://erhartc.bplaced.net/ereader/).

Assign in PRS+ options a custom user gesture (say a down swipe) to go into sleep mode.

So you need the power button just for switching the reader ON, not for switching it OFF.

A.
Yes, basic Power On does work.

I didn't realize I could set a user gesture to enter sleep mode in PRS+. Are you sure that's possible?

And any particular reason for installing a newer / custom PRS+ build? Other than for the fact that icons are prettier, which is almost reason enough Thanks for the link...

But I don't think I can assign sleep to a gesture, unless it's been programmed in a custom build... Otherwise it might work.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired

There is mention of a "Regarding elusive battery discharge problem" on the PRS+ home page. This was happening to begin with. Hmmm. I suppose I better downgrade to stock Sony firmware to see if it changes anything, just in case.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I don't know. But my 600 had problems with the power switch so I would not be surprised. I would have to slide it like 5 times sometimes to get it to go to sleep.
That sounds like my 600, but I'd have issues turning it on - not off.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #10
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Rizla:

1) Yes, it is possible with your custom build you have. I'm working with this gesture a couple of weeks.

2) Yes, I would delete PRS+ for a view days and see how it does. I have had power-problems too. The reason was not PRS+ (I found out after lots of testings) but a corrupt file system. Reformatting the memory helped.

A.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Rizla:

1) Yes, it is possible with your custom build you have. I'm working with this gesture a couple of weeks.

2) Yes, I would delete PRS+ for a view days and see how it does. I have had power-problems too. The reason was not PRS+ (I found out after lots of testings) but a corrupt file system. Reformatting the memory helped.

A.
Yes, okay, I rebound a button to sleepmode and tested it last night. I put it in sleep mode, brought it out with the power button (the only way I think). This brought back the problem. The reader kept flicking back into sleep-mode. I turned the device off and in the morning it showed the screen asking me if I wanted to turn it off. I said no. The battery had been drained down to two bars. This is the original problem.

So thanks for your input. At least it's helping me get a clearer conception of the problem. It seems to be a combination of the power button and sleep mode. I do suspect a hardware fault.

I have done factory resets etc, but that doesn't make any different. I doubt removing PRS+ will make any difference but I should try. Also I would like to actually reflash the OS rather than do a factory reset, but I'm not sure if that can be done.

Anyway...it's not a total show-stopper. I just leave it on. The battery doesn't run down much faster, and I switch it off at night. I wonder how much power sleep-mode really saves. I don't see that much difference.

My advice to x50 users is to avoid the power button as much as possible. It appears to have a design flaw.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Analogus
Fanatic

Yes, sadly there is only one way for switching the reader on. No chance so far to avoid this (I asked for a way round in the developer forum). At least man can push usage down to 50% with a gesture.

Additionally man can deactivate the touch-screen to avoid page-flipping when not switched off.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 01-23-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
At least man can push usage down to 50% with a gesture.
Sorry, I don't understand. How?

Someone else suggested cleaning the switch with compressed air which I will try. I might even try WD40. Again, thanks for your suggestions! Much appreciated
Old 01-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #14
Ashjuk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post

Someone else suggested cleaning the switch with compressed air which I will try. I might even try WD40. Again, thanks for your suggestions! Much appreciated
Give the compressed air a try but to be honest I don't think I would consider using WD40. No doubt there are plastic components in the switch and using an oil based product on plastic is never a good idea.

If you really want to try to lubricate the switch I would suggest you look for a silicone based product. Something like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Silicone-.../dp/B001MRSU9S
Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
Analogus
Fanatic

You have to use the hardware switch just for switching ON, not switching OFF --> 50%

A.