Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-28-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Windows Update V5 RTM (2181)

Works also with Windows XP SP1.

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...ult.aspx?ln=en (English)
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...ult.aspx?ln=de (German)
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can download Windows XP SP2 Final (Build 2180) now!
Simply use Google and search for xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe if you cannot wait for the official download expected in a few days or weeks.

Build 2180 is 266.1MB in size for the English version.

below is a summary of the key milestones of the distribution plan:

8/6 Release to manufacturing
8/9 Release to Microsoft Download Center (network installation package)
8/9 Release to MSDN subscription site (CD ISO image)
8/10 Release to Automatic Updates (for machines running pre-release versions of Windows XP Service Pack 2 only)
8/16 Release to Automatic Updates (for machines NOT running pre-releases versions of Windows XP Service Pack 2)
8/16 Release to Software Update Services
Later in August Release to Windows Update for interactive user installations
Advert
Old 08-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Have you installed it yet, Morpheus? Any first impressions?
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:18 AM   #4
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!

I haven't. Personally I think it is good to wait for the first user reviews. I am sure MS will release yet another important fix before SP2 will run stable. Also, I don't know how well my notebook tools and drivers behave with SP2.

See that is why I am posting this info, that YOU are going to test-drive for me

Neowin has posted some direct download links.

Please ensure you check this file with an MD5 checksum verifier to ensure it's authenticity. The MD5 you should get for the exe is : 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7
Old 08-09-2004, 06:30 AM   #5
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
See that is why I am posting this info, that YOU are going to test-drive for me
Oh no, I'm not going to fall for that! I'm much too familiar with MS to install a SP early, especially when everything is working fairly well at the moment. It's my understanding that the bulk of the changes revolve around security, and I'm reasonably secure at all my locations, so I, like you, am in no rush...
Advert
Old 08-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic

Paul Thurrott has written an in-depth review of SP2. Haven't finished it, but it seems like good reading, and I like what Thurrott has written in the past...
Old 08-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!

Great link, thank you ignatz!

Btw, you can now also download XP SP2 from Microsoft's *official* servers:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...35-SP2-ENU.exe (English)

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...35-SP2-DEU.exe (German)
Old 08-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
ignatz
mechanoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Great link, thank you ignatz!
You bet. I've now read the review, and overall it looks like SP2 will be a good addition. One of my jobs is to run a small (<20 computers) office network, and even with a good firewall, we have had our share of spyware and virus problems. I'm hoping that this will help. My only big concern is the possibility of incompatibilities with some of my more esoteric software. But I guess I'll have to just take the dive and see...
Old 08-25-2004, 02:55 PM   #9
ignatz
mechanoholic

Getting ready to take the plunge and put SP2 on my machine before it gets automatically installed on the rest of the office. If you don't see me for a while you'll know why!
Old 08-26-2004, 05:01 PM   #10
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!

I've been running SP2 for a week now, and haven't had any incompatibility issues yet. Though, I have the integrated Firewall disabled, which is probably the #1 reason why some programs break with SP2.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:16 AM   #11
ignatz
mechanoholic

Put it on my work machine yesterday, to test it before it comes down to the rest of our XP machines (about 10). We have a hardware firewall that's very effective, so I think that I'll have most folks power down the firewall as well. But I haven't seen any problems either...
Old 08-27-2004, 01:39 PM   #12
ignatz
mechanoholic

I've got to take it off. Won't work with Solidworks or other OpenGL based apps, even with the latest Nvidia drivers. Solidworks says it won't work till the next SP, but they don't give a target date.