Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #106
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The time-limiting DRM mechanism on library books is a mechanism for implementing the usage limits that the library has purchased for a particular book. It's difficult to see how such limits could be implemented and enforced without using some form of DRM system. Can you suggest a viable alternative?
Yes. My suggestion would be the one that they have already implemented for MP3 audio-books. It's not far fetched to come up with a mechanism besides DRM, because they are already using one.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #107
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If it's an eBook, they buy a licence to distribute "x" simultaneous copies of the book for a restricted period of time.
Restricting the number of copies of a digital file is, obviously, pointless. You're trying to figure out how to apply the old model to new technology. Moejoe's point is that the old model makes no sense with regards to new technology, and any attempt to apply it to new technology is an illusion at best.
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #108
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yes. My suggestion would be the one that they have already implemented for MP3 audio-books. It's not far fetched to come up with a mechanism besides DRM, because they are already using one.
And what's that solution ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #109
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
...Of course, in our society, we presume anyone is innocent until proved guilty, right?...
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #110
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
...Because I sure as hell am not going to buy anything twice just because it's 'illegal' to move it to another device.
Actually, you can legally move it to another device. You just can't legally remove the DRM. Ironic, isn't it?
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #111
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
So, for music, would it be legal to format shift the old way - through analog recording?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #112
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
It seems like simple common sense to me, Tommy.

Copyright law grants the creator of a work the exclusive right to control it and profit from it. I don't need to conduct "empirical studies" to tell me that if that exclusive right to profit from a work did not exist, neither would the motive to create it.
The only problem with your statement is the copyright laws no longer just protect the work of the creator. Big concerns, such as Disney, have successfully lobbied to have the "protection" expanded to include the heirs of creators or anyone who buys the work from the original creator and maintain that "protection" forever by allowing infinite renewal of copyrights beyond a reasonable time frame.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #113
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
There is an Italian film done sometime in the '70s (I think) that was a gentle send-up of Fantasia. Different music, different animation and different presentation (I seem to recall a cleaning lady in the live sequence.)

Disney sued of course and there are very few that can stand up to American Corporate attack lawyers.
The film was Allegro Non Troppo and it screened here in the USA. I don't know about Disney's suit but it stills sells in DVD form here (I recently bought it from Amazon). It's a classic, satyrical ripoff of Fantasia. They even allude to Disney (by the use of the name Prisney) in the live portions. Very (as in ridiculously) low budget but still a classic.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-16-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: to correct Senioritis
Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #114
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
So, for music, would it be legal to format shift the old way - through analog recording?
As long as it isn't DRM protected. Analog recording is just another way that can be used to circumvent DRM. Stupid, isn't it?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #115
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Doesn't that rather depend on the situation? For example, I think most people would accept that having DRM on library books is essential, and that to remove that DRM is not fair use.
That would depend on whether your ereader will open DRM infected files or not.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #116
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The film was Allegro Non Troppo and it screened here in the USA. I don't know about Disney's suit but it stills sells in DVD form here (I recently bought it from Amazon). It's a classic, satyrical ripoff of Fantasia. They even allude to Disney (by the use of the name Prisney) in the live portions. Very (as in ridiculously) low budget but still a classic.
Thank you! -- that's it. I'll have look for a copy.

This bill would make make scanning books legal. Of course the publishers could claim any of, poor paper, poor printing or poor typography all of which are far too common, is an implementaion of DRM.

I'm currently scanning the complete collection of Dorothy Sayers short fiction (she's PD in Canada ((for the moment))). The font used for italics sends ABBY Sprint into paroxysms of invention. I'm also doing Joshua then and Now -- this is straight format shifting for the wife's PRS-300, this time it's poor ink on poor newsprint. And no, none of his fiction is available in ebook format.

But I wander, thank you for the title.
G
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #117
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
This is going to end up like the situation with pot smoking. You get pulled over, and the officer asked you if he can search your car for "weapons". In the process, he finds your Kindle on the console, in plain open sight, and since you've already given up all your rights after allowing the search, he checks it out and finds ebooks with DRM removed (he thinks), one of the new IP laws they have to enforce. You are now under arrest. Let's see, recently the movies guys are filing lawsuits for $150,000 per person for copying a movie, so a book is worth what, $100,000? So now you've got to make a $10,000 bail. Of course, in our society, we presume anyone is innocent until proved guilty, right? And of course, we have some people, actually members of this forum, that will try to say that the civil act of IP violation is a criminal act, so we can expect some jail time also, right? I mean now we are (I've been hearing this lately) of jailing or even sentencing someone to what, death? for IP violations?

This stuff is going too far. Better look out... history can repeat itself.
Oh give me a break! This is not a banana republic (or state) that we have here, this is Canada. Even if this bill does pass, I will continue to only buy DRM infested products where I can remove the DRM. Nothing will change.

The government's interest is not with individuals in possession (of either pot or IP) but with those making it available. I have no (NONE) fear of the police breaking my door down looking for broken DRM. I am simply of no interest (or is any other individual) to the authorities.

The the law against DRM circumvention is a bad law and should not be passed for the simple reason that laws that cannot be enforced subvert respect for the law in general.

Or maybe I just have insufficient paranoia.

Cheers
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #118
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
And what's that solution ?
I described what my local library does for MP3s in a previous post in this thread.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #119
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Copyright law grants the creator of a work the exclusive right to control it and profit from it.
Copyright grants neither control or profit.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #120
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Looks like the CRIA have started their astroturf campaign on this bill. *looks around at some of the posts on moilberead*

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5123/125/
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote