Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe things are different from a Touch to a Glo, but why would Kobo have a different store layout for each device ? Makes no sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Strange. When I do it, there's a plain "Buy" button which takes you to a full page of info on the book with another plain "Buy" button. It's only after that, I'm assuming, that the price gets revealed.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #17
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Maybe things are different from a Touch to a Glo, but why would Kobo have a different store layout for each device ? Makes no sense to me.
Because they now have two versions of the firmware out there. And they are already starting to diverge.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Because they now have two versions of the firmware out there. And they are already starting to diverge.
Between Glo and Touch? Of course there is different firmware - they are different devices. Or are you saying that there is more than one version of Touch firmware, in which case I think you need to produce some evidence.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Strange. When I do it, there's a plain "Buy" button which takes you to a full page of info on the book with another plain "Buy" button. It's only after that, I'm assuming, that the price gets revealed.
Mine is working pretty much like Quexos's. I select my category and get a list of books all with prices and a buy now button. If I select a book, I am then taken to a full page of info for the book with a buy button that includes the price and a separate preview button.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
That's fascinating. I've never browsed through the categories before... I've only done searches. If you use the Categories page, you see prices. If you use a Search, no prices until you get to the checkout page.

I'm on 2.1.5 on the Touch, btw.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Between Glo and Touch? Of course there is different firmware - they are different devices. Or are you saying that there is more than one version of Touch firmware, in which case I think you need to produce some evidence.
Well, there are two versions at least of the Touch. There is a post somewhere here with two or three different FCC ids for the Touch, so that implies different hardware. The difference I know of is that the earlier versions had hard-wired memory. Later models us an internal SD card. Add to that, Kobo updated the factory firmware version as they were produced. Mine has 1.9.11 on it and there were issues with this that Kobo had to solve to get past 2.0.0. Later factory firmware versions didn't have these problems.

As to the firmware, you can split it into two parts. There is the low level hardware and disk stuff that is different. But, there is the application layer, that is the same. The differences we see are in the application layer. They appear to be run-time switches rather than hard-coded differences.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #22
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Just a thought: depending on where you live in the EU, books have fixed pricing, so you would definitely see the price, as it never differs. In other countries, like the US, the price Kobo shows you depends on your account and probably other variables as well. Maybe that's why they don't show you the price if your Kobo is registered in some countries with more pricing flexibility.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote