Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I know afa that you did not want to interject god into this discussion, but I think it is inevitable.

If I knew that the world was going to end in a week, I would realize it was time to get right with god.

And I would spend many drunken days figuring out which one.

Donn

P.S. I am pretty sure it would be Bacchus.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 07-22-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #17
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Without repercussions there would be no sex offenders. I would have lynched their asses by now.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #18
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Without repercussions there would be no sex offenders. I would have lynched their asses by now.
Wholly Krap! That is chilling! With all the chaos, despondency and despair that comes with the last 7 days before the world ends, we have to take care not to bump our heads on the feet of the hanged sex offenders decorating the trees courtesy of Happy_Terd?

You should write the sequel to Stephen King's The Stand.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
An interesting article on this very subject in the New York Times today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/23/op..._r=1&th&emc=th
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It's quite an interesting article. But how far it is accurate in a world wide context ? Stated in the article:
Quote:
Where does our sense of right and wrong come from? Most people think it is a gift from God
I believe this is correct if you only take the US as your basis for this article (and this is not to offend anyone, but they are just more religious than other countries). But if you go to europe and asia, the impact of god is not considered that strong and morality will be determined, for the larger part, by your upbringing.

Furthermore I must agree with FizzyWater that there is no direct tie between morality and fear of repercussions.

I think that the tie exists between morality and the comfort of the human being. Take away comfort and threathen the survival of the human individual and morals will go overboard and a more primal instinct will take control, the will to survive.
And then anything is possible
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #21
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid_Elf View Post
Furthermore I must agree with FizzyWater that there is no direct tie between morality and fear of repercussions.
I'd have to disagree - sort of. When we are younger and being taught what is right and wrong, or what is socially acceptable and what isn't, there is often a large amount of punishment involved in the learning process. As we get older and, hopefully, the lessons begin to sink in we need less and less of the repercussions to keep us on the path, but at the beginning they are there. Whether or not they are needed or not is another question we can debate in the childhood development thread

I do agree that things would pretty rapidly break down as it became a fight for survival. Although I dont think it would much chance to evolve beyond that if we only had a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Or seeking out a lover without worrying about his sexual past.
I think Mansfield is about half way between us ...
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Wholly Krap! That is chilling! With all the chaos, despondency and despair that comes with the last 7 days before the world ends, we have to take care not to bump our heads on the feet of the hanged sex offenders decorating the trees courtesy of Happy_Terd?

You should write the sequel to Stephen King's The Stand.
And all it took was 1 relative to be raped for me to start thinking this way...amazing.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I think Mansfield is about half way between us ...

I'll keep that in mind when we get the end-of-the-world-is-near warning!

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #24
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And all it took was 1 relative to be raped for me to start thinking this way...amazing.
I, thankfully, do not know anyone that has had that happen to, but I'll gladly help you out H_T. You don't mind if I use a gun though do you? It is quicker, cheaper, and it is a lot easier to carry around a case of ammo than several hundred feet of rope.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #25
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

I'll keep that in mind when we get the end-of-the-world-is-near warning!

Cool. I'm available for bad weather too
Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #26
happy_terd
Banned

Sorry guys...I guess I shouldnt get this heated.

I just get upset about the whole sex offender thing because it scares the shit out of me as a parent. Type in the meghan's list and look at how many offenders are in every neighborhood in every town in every city in every state...
Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
If fear of repercussions are at the core of moral, then there is no moral - only fear of repercussions.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #28
happy_terd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
If fear of repercussions are at the core of moral, then there is no moral - only fear of repercussions.
Nicely stated.

Without repercussions I would like to believe that there would still be morals. A lot more crime and a lot more "private Justice" also.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #29
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Hey, have fun. Just be mindful of others. We gotta share these last 7 days too.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #30
happy_terd
Banned

Oh...I'd be having fun.

Tags
apple, doomsday, ethics, morals, philosophical