Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Book titles disappear off page

I find on my Story that book titles disappear off the right hand side of the screen in the menu page. There are too few characters available, which makes book titles difficult to manage.

For instance, if you have a series of books titled "The Story Trilogy, Book 01 - The Letter X", "The Story Trilogy, Book 02 - The Letter Y" and "The Story Trilogy, Book 03 - The Letter Z", then for each of them the title is going to disappear off the right-hand end before you can read distinguishing data. It's just three books, all titled (as far as you can see) the same.

It's a bit of a pain, isn't it, to have to rename books and their source files just so they'll display in a usable manner? But if you rename them so the titles come first, or are the only thing that shows, then the books in a connected series will most likely not even appear near each other in the menu. I'd rather the device do the sorting, in a logical and productive manner, so I don't have to remember extra detail for every file on the device.

Anyone else feel this is a flaw in the design of the Story's software?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Create subfolders, MacEachaidh. Create a folder for the Author, then a subfolder called, say, "The Story Trilogy" and rename the books to Book 01 - The Letter X" etc and Bob's your uncle. You'll find the books in your full list under B for Book, but if you go in via My Books, you can find your folder and under it the books.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for the idea, James. I've done something like that, but it still doesn't solve the issue with (for example) books like the Bourne Trilogy, unless you want to truncate the names to a bizarre degree. My copies are all named "Bourne 0x - The Bourne yyyyyyyy", but on the Story, I have to distinguish between them by the volume number, because the last word of the title on all three disappears off the side of the screen.

Look, it's not a deal-breaker. Neither is having a trilogy on your shelf made up of books from three different print runs of the books, with three different cover designs - but I've known people to purchase second copies of books just so they match the other ones in the set, and I've understood where they were coming from. Wouldn't do it myself, but I could conceive of doing so.

So, it's just on my list of druthers for the Story OS. (As in, I'd ruther it was like that...) Along with a manual that gave an idea of all these different options in using the device effectively! The OS has some well-considered capabilities, but many of them are not even mentioned in the available user guide and other material, and they sit alongside some other design choices that are far from spectacular.

Last edited by MacEachaidh; 08-13-2010 at 03:13 PM.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote