Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Jaede
Enthusiast
Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Another Ereader Confession

So there I was.

I've posted a few times about my quest for just the right E-Reader, about how I dumped the Nook ST for the Sony PRS T1, about how I came crawling back, and begged it for forgiveness. I might have the new tech-toy syndrome, but it's never been proven.

So what about today? The Nook ST worked with me for a while, but I think we grew apart. So I gifted it to my wife's friend, and took another chance at the Sony PRS T1.

Oh, what times we've had. I found that if you lump books in series in Calibre those series tags become collections in the Sony. Who knew? I wasted weeks renaming the authors to match how I thought the Sony Reader wanted them, and the answer was a simple Series tag. Can you say "Send to Storage Card A?"

Because of this 402 shelves now exist to keep my 3000 plus books organized. It's all I ever wanted. With natural sounds in the music player like woods and waterfalls I have the perfect reading experience. I should have been happy.

But then the T2 came out, and suddenly the grass is greener on the other side of the fence-AGAIN! I don't really care about Evernote or facebook features, or whatever, but the screen is definitely clearer than the previous year's model. It's also loads quicker, and doesn't flash on every single page. I got one and stuck my SD card from the other reader into it, and in an instant I had all 402 collections on the new one without any problems.

Now I'm torn between the two. I know the new model is a complete ripoff since it's essentially the last year model with updated software, and no MP3 capability. And I know I got suckered into it because I'm an E-Ink Reader junkie, but with the jump up to two month battery life it seemed almost worth it.

I'm debating on which one to stick with. And hint-they still don't know about each other. I've tried juggling between the two but that only works in the movies.
Jaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Lol, thanks for a great post.

You know, I've heard of some readers who lead double lives -- splitting their time between two e-readers. Do you think you could handle that? One could be left by your bed, and the other could travel with you... just a thought.

Whatever you do, just don't start looking into lit e-ink screens. First off, Sony doesn't have one yet, so you'll be torn from the get-go. Second, they allow you to read anywhere -- even that cozy couch in the corner that doesn't have a reading lamp next to it. Could be dangerous...
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Ravyna
Ravyna began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Just so you know, you can easily adjust the page refresh on the T1 with morkl's "June Reader". I've set it to refresh every 5 pages, works like a charm and you don't have to root your reader.
Ravyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I have "binders full" of ereaders...hehehe
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I am also an egadget junkie, but my funds are so limited, I am limited on choices.

Since you love the Sony reader for READING, then I suggest buying an Ipod nano for your MP3 playing. Some people would suggest a Sansa Clip, but I'm not to hot on Sansa products (and their customer service sucks).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Can I join......I have 4 ereaders, all Kindle, (I did start with Sony, had the 505, 600 and 650) I have a wifi Kindle Keyboard, 3G Kindle Keyboard and 2 Kindle Touch's (1 may be returned, I haven't told it yet, its sitting happily with my Keyboards for now) and a Paperwhite on order. I keep different types of books on each one, and tbh, the price you can get now for a secondhand reader it's worth more to me to keep them as additional readers (and storage devices) than to sell them.

Oh and I'm reading on an iPad, and listen to my audiobooks on an iPhone.

It's a good job I work.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote