Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
freeflyer
freeflyer began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
GingerBreak not working after the update?

So after the first update and having the majority of my installed apps corrupted, i remember reading that it would have been best to un-root my vox. After reading the successes others were having with this new update, I decided I'd give it a shot.

This time I prepared by un-rooting my vox through the gingerbreak app and installed the update. Everything seemed to have gone uneventful, but now gingerbreak seems to be unable to root my vox. I'm going to need root access to get rid of all the unneeded apps the update put on my vox again: facebook, twitter, INQ, ect.

Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions?
freeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Did you turn on usb debugging?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
freeflyer

yep - couple of times to make sure it was on.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
What version of Gingerbreak are you using? I used the one hosted on my website and it worked fine.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
freeflyer

that's the one i used v1.2 - even tried re-installing it

[Resolved!]
actually had to uninstall, then re-install gingerbreak for it to finally work.
thank goodness - didn't think i could take listening to that startup sound again

Last edited by freeflyer; 12-23-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Vox
Wait, you can get rid of the startup sound? How!?! It drives me crazy!
terranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
The file is:

/system/media/bootaudio.mp3

Remove it, replace it, etc. You'll need root.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
terranq
terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.terranq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
The file is:

/system/media/bootaudio.mp3

Remove it, replace it, etc. You'll need root.
Duh, of course it is. Sorry, I should have known that. I'll have to wait on that though, my Vox is boot looping.

We really need a recovery method and image. I know exactly what the problem is-I accidentally copied over the google setup wizard when I updated the market/gmail/youtube apps after the latest update. This caused multiple FC, and now it won't reboot, just loops at the Vox book image. If I could get it started I could adb in and delete the apk, or with a recovery image I could wipe it and start from scratch. Instead, I have a trouble ticket in with Kobo support, waiting for a Tier 2 to email me back-on Christmas weekend.

*sigh*
terranq is offline   Reply With Quote