Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Allis
Allis began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
stanza/iphone suddenly can't find calibre on pc

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered. I'm really confused as to why suddenly my iphone/stanza app can no longer locate/connect to calibre on my pc. I'm not doing anything different that I can think of. Both are on our wireless network as usual. One weird thing is on the access log, it was connecting to the iphone/stanza's ip address, but now it seems to be connecting only to an ip address 127.0.0.1 that appears to be the web page of the test server. here is a clip of the access server's current message:

127.0.0.1 - - [05/Feb/2010:14:53:34] "GET /get/cover/48 HTTP/1.1" 200 54421 "http://127.0.0.1:8080/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618)"

I've tried to manually add the pc ip to the catalog, but it says the catalog is empty/can't connect to host, or it asks for an authenticate user name and password which I have no idea as to what that is.

I've rebooted and/or reconnected the wifi connections on both pc and iphone. I am not very tech-savvy so apologies if my explanations are not using the accurate words. Thanks in advance for any help.
Allis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast
Guido Henkel began at the beginning.

Device: mobi, epub, lit
I believe this has to do with the latest update of Stanza on the iPhone. Reportedly the direct download support has been disabled. Check the Stanza page in the AppStore for details.
Guido Henkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
This is not due to the Stanza update. It is the downloading via USB cable that has been removed. WiFi and 3G methods should still work fine (and do for me).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like your network setup has changed. A new firewall/router?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
To see if its a network issue, try to connect using Stanza Desktop and the Stanza iPhone app.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
thadine
thadine began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
I have this exact problem. Stanza (iphone) was connecting to calibre content server with no problem. I added some books to calibre on the pc, went to get download them on Stanza, and suddenly it can't find the content server. Absolutely no network changes made.
thadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you updated Calibre? If so you probably need to update your firewall software to let the latest version have full internet access.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
thadine
thadine began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
No, I hadn't updated calibre between it working and not working. We're talking about 1 minute it was fine, and 5 minutes later it didn't work anymore.
At any rate, I ran the installer again in Repair mode, and it works again, so I guess the software must have gotten corrupted somehow.
thadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
Lomez
Lomez began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, BeBook, Nokia N810
I also had this problem. I was pleased that everything worked flawlessly with Calibre, Stanza and my iPod. Then today, without warning, and without making any changes, I could no longer hook up to the server.

I spent the better part of the day going through the manuals, FAQs, and forums, and tried everything I ran across, to no avail. I was thoroughly disgusted and gave up, restoring all settings, port changes, etc., to what they were in the first place. Two hours later, it simply started working again.

Jeez...
Lomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard

Sounds like a Windows/Firewall issue? They can always be a bit frustrating.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Lomez
Lomez began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, BeBook, Nokia N810
Definitely not a firewall issue. Despite that one difficulty, I'd have to say that Calibre is the only app I've run across that does so much, so well.
Lomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
bunnycharlotte
bunnycharlotte began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin, Calibre, Yosemite
I had the exact same problem, tried everything and solved it by rebooting my router. Like a miracle!
bunnycharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #13
Fura
Fura began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I had the same problem when I first used Stanza. I opened up Calibre Desktop and went to Preferences>Content Server and made sure to check "run server automatically on start up."
Fura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
Loren Zu
Loren Zu began at the beginning.

Device: ipod
I don't know if you have sovled this question, but i have a method to solve this problem, add a url http://myhostname:8080 , myhostname is your computer name. try this, and you will find it is effectively
Loren Zu is offline   Reply With Quote