Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
sociedaddelocio
Dr. Sybough Brick Ed.
sociedaddelocio began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Exclamation Cybook 3 bricked?

hey guys!

firstly, I have to say that I don't speak english so forget all my language mistakes!
this is my first post to explain that my cybook crashed! I think this topic matches well the "developer corner". I'm crossing fingers for someone really skilled who solved this riddle.

I'm not a lucky guy but how could it happen to me? I'm the only idiot who has bricked his ebook reader? at least, I deserve a statue for that, doesn't I?

short story: last night I was about performing a firmware update. everything seemed to work fine until I tried to start up my cybook. nothing. when I connect it to my pc, I can, apparentely, "charge" (the red light is on) but whether trying every button or connecting it again and again, it doesn't start up. not at all.

obviously, everthing is gonna be alright if I could, at least, install the driver on my system (actually I'm running windows 7 and cybook was working fine with).
I'm wondering if there is some driver out there that could be installed on my system and then "to try" install another firmware.

on the other hand, it seems like that you can't install any driver/file directly over the pc... you have to start up the cybook at first, that is the bigger problem.

as I said, I can't start up the cybook... any ideas?

thanks in advance!

Last edited by sociedaddelocio; 07-03-2009 at 04:41 AM.
sociedaddelocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Sound briked indead.

Have a look in windows's disk manager, see if the cybook shows up. If so, there is a special firmware that re-flashes the memory.

Still, i'm afraid you'll have to ask bookeen to fix that.

Quote:
I'm not a lucky guy but how could it happen to me?
That's pretty much it, bad luck.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-03-2009 at 02:51 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
sociedaddelocio
Dr. Sybough Brick Ed.

Thanks EowynCarter!

Curiously, windows (I'm actually using windows 7) "tried" to identify the device twice, I think, so when the wizard came up I had to decide about which kind of device it was, I couldn't determinate it... is it a USB-hubb, a external hard disc or both? I supposed the second chance but, even if I might have had known it, then, how could I be able to install the firmware on the SD card? I need necessarily a working Cybook to perform that action, I guess.

Efter twice, the pop-up install windows has not appeared again. I, naturally, uninstalled every USB device shown on the device manager but nothing happened. I'm wondering what it could happen if I reinstall the whole OS?

I'm trying with Linux as well (thanks god I had an old partition available), but the OS doesn't recognize my device either. I supposed that, because of most of ereaders are running open kernels, it would be easily to find a solution.

I understand that is a firmware problem which could be solved through software as well. That what people do when their PSP or Ipods fail.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Please can you give us more information about you Cybook?

Which update do you try to do?

How many stickers do you have in the back?

Do you remember the last version of the firmware you had on it ?

When you press the reset button behind, and then the power button, what's happen? Does it display the bootscreen? or better the second boot screen? (the mini cybook with three dots)

Without more informations it's difficult to answer you...

Did you try to charge it all night (when the red light is turn on) and try to boot it the next morning?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
sociedaddelocio
Dr. Sybough Brick Ed.

Hey Godzil:

Thanks for posting,
I will answer more accurate later... Everything is messed up right now... The Cybook has been very important to me these days, no kidding!

Well, I'm going to answer what I can remember now. I'll check out the firmware and other "technical" information later since I don't have any around me at the moment.

1- I just have one sticker. There is the code bar on it, the serial and further consumer information. Everything looks normal, my model is Cybook GEN3;

2- If you asked about charging, I was pretty sure that my Cybook was at 90%-100% when I did update it (or literally damage...);

3- The big problem is that, efter trying any possible button combination, I don't see any boot screen at all but, when I connect it to whether Linux, Windows or also a AC/DC charger, it seems like the red light is working.
I can't see any icon device on "my computer" (Windows) or "places" (Linux- Ubuntu).

So, independently what I was doing on it, how could someone, at least, install some driver to recognize the device?

I'm very appreciate any suggestion!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sociedaddelocio View Post
3- The big problem is that, efter trying any possible button combination, I don't see any boot screen at all but, when I connect it to whether Linux, Windows or also a AC/DC charger, it seems like the red light is working.
I can't see any icon device on "my computer" (Windows) or "places" (Linux- Ubuntu).
When you see the read light try to turn it on.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

The red light is purely driven by hardware, so until the hardware is dead, it will work.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm very appreciate any suggestion!
Try installing the firmware update on the SD Card when it's in an SD Card reader, rather than your CyBook.

Then put it in your CyBook and try to do the firmware update again.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:39 AM   #9
sociedaddelocio
Dr. Sybough Brick Ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
The red light is purely driven by hardware, so until the hardware is dead, it will work.
Not too bad at all!
I don't wanna give up! For example, despite I know my Cybook is charged at 90-100%, I'm still charging it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Try installing the firmware update on the SD Card when it's in an SD Card reader, rather than your CyBook.
Thanks pdurrant.
That's the way I use to do; until now, I'd tried with 3 different SD cards (up to 2 GB of course)
Old 07-03-2009, 04:51 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks pdurrant.
That's the way I use to do; until now, I'd tried with 3 different SD cards (up to 2 GB of course)
Have you emailed Bookeen support? If not, give full details, and they might be able to supply some kind of fix -- I believe they can supply a more complete firmware install package, rather than an updater.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #11
Godzil

If you have a 400Mhz Cybook, there is no online firmware update. So if this is the case you can't brick it with the available update (it is not compatible)

Are you sure you didn't do some devellopers trick ?

What does your serial number start with? (the nine first letters)
Old 07-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
sociedaddelocio
Dr. Sybough Brick Ed.

Dear friends,

I'm afraid that is more f=#¤# serios that I'd though... Checking out my downloads, I saw that I'd never installed a Cybook firmware!Let me explain:

I remember that, I always was very suspicious, bland other things, about the battery performance and the garbage can button (from now, "the garbage can of the dead").. Well, you probably know the Kindler-Sony "killer" Foxit Slick which is similar to my dead Cybook (looking closely, you'll even see the garbage can button!)... And guess what... exactly, I'd installed that firmware instead!

I didn't kill anyone but I'm feel quite stupid... My own birthday is ruined!

However, I hope someone, much clever , could guide me through the darkness tunnel road of the resurrection... And finally finish my 700 pages novels!

But I'd always thought that, independently the firmware "mistake", any problem could be solved through software... I have seen people fixing PSPs, why couldn't I fix my Cybook on my own? I'm wondering if I could use that "pandora" kit for the PSP as well

Happy weekend everybody and remember: never install the competence's firmware -or whatever- on your own system!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Go to Paris tomorrow, maybe they can fix it

I'd say you have to install a genuine Bookeen firmware. If it's true that the 796 firmware doesn't work for your Cybook version, you should ask Bookeen directly and explain your problem, or wait till the new firmware is released
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I can't make head or tail of it. Eslick's not out yet, if I haven't missed something. Nor are there any firmware updates for eslick reader. So I don't get it how you could have installed their FW update on your Cybook. Not to mention that even if there was some update by another manufacturer, it most likely wouldn't work, because the update routines are different; for the same reason cybook can't be updated with pocketbook's firmware update.
Ergo i'm asking - is this some kind of a joke or what?

Edit
My apologies, there really is a fw update for eslick. Though I still think that it shouldn't be recognized by cybook or started by its update routine.

Last edited by Abelturd; 07-03-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14642

look like the re-flash firmware might be able to fix that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, cybook, driver, firmware, homebrew