Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Yep .... I just picked up a copy too. I look forward to reading it.
Thanks Ricky....one more tiny tiny nail in the coffin of the TPs!
David J. Guyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by David J. Guyton View Post
Thanks Ricky....one more tiny tiny nail in the coffin of the TPs!
One very vocal nail ...
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #18
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
painting the new cover (yes I do my own artwork)
Very nice cover artwork! I clicked to the site and zoomed the cover--
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:25 AM   #19
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:48 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:48 AM   #20
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
dadioflex;

Think of the Billboard 100 and its use in the marketplace to track what the most popular music sales are. This situation is as if a studio released, say, a new Alicia Keys album and gave away millions of copies for free and then was shown on the Billboard 100 as the top selling album at the moment.

You could give away the worse book of the century but have it listed in the Top Ten sellers on Amazon just because people grabbed it since it was free. People not knowing any better in the future could look at that title or author and have an false sense of the merit of the author in the bookreading community based on those rankings.

It is perfectly within their right to give away a book and use it as a loss leader but having it appear in the ranking system is fishy at best.

We recently had a user that argued, quite ardently in fact, for systems like Amazons in that they were nearly impossible to 'game'. I think this shows just how any system can be.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #21
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #22
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #23
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
dadioflex;

Valid correction, but yeah, the end result is still the title shows up in the ranking. My logic is usually sound, but my means to communicate it is often flawed...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #24
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
dadioflex;
You could give away the worse book of the century but have it listed in the Top Ten sellers on Amazon just because people grabbed it since it was free. People not knowing any better in the future could look at that title or author and have an false sense of the merit of the author in the bookreading community based on those rankings.

It is perfectly within their right to give away a book and use it as a loss leader but having it appear in the ranking system is fishy at best.
-MJ
Not that I'm an Apple fanatic or anything, but I think the iTunes App store handles this the right way, having separate lists for "top paid" and "top free." Amazon should do the same.

Last edited by KindleDude; 03-19-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: misspelling
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #25
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #26
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur
David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David J. Guyton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes Apple apparently has a better solution.

And I meant to bring this information to everyone sort of as an advanced warning. Of course there are many books in the top 100, 1000 and 5000 that are not free....but I see a trend and it won't be long before there are several hundred or maybe even several thousand free books, and at that point the Independednt authors will get pushed out of the way.

As I said before, I don't care that free books are distributed, I just want the chance to do it myself to get my sales stats lower too....if Independent authors are not allowed, then the free books shouldn't be allowed in the stats sytem. There is (was) no difference for Independent authors and Traditional Publishers as far as uploading and selling Kindle books....meaning the Independents were treated as equals. The actual sales are what mattered. If you can keep up with the sales of the TPs (I do my best) then they have no advantage over you.....but now they do.

Oh and also, my book is indeed in paperback already. I have already run several contests for free signed paperbacks too.

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Hammer-...dp/1440486077/

Doesn't sell nearly as well as my Kindle version, but both versions are as low as I can possibly price them in order to get as many readers as possible.

And dadioflex,
My book is usually in the top 50 in the fantasy/epic catgory....Here are my stats at the moment:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #4,826 in Kindle Store
Popular in these categories:

#23 in Kindle Store > Kindle Books > Fiction > Genre Fiction > Political
#51 in Kindle Store > Kindle Books > Fantasy > Epic
#83 in Kindle Store > Kindle Books > Fiction > Action & Adventure

#4826 is not fantastic, but it's by no means horrible. It changes every hour though and I fluctuate between #1500 and about #7000 generally.

Last edited by David J. Guyton; 03-19-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #27
KindleDude
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
KindleDude - elegant solution!
Appreciate the shout-out, but thank His Jobsness!!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #28
KindleDude
Connoisseur

Quote:
but I see a trend and it won't be long before there are several hundred or maybe even several thousand free books, and at that point the Independednt authors will get pushed out of the way.
I can understand why you're upset, and I do think the lists should be adjusted in some way to account for free versus paid (folks, can we not provide this information in feedback to Amazon?). But I really think it's not as bad as you say. Most discerning readers, including discerning readers of sci-fi and fantasy, are not going to be swayed by numbers but by reputation among readers and reviews by trusted reviewers.

(I may feel differently if my novel, if I ever finish it, gets swamped by freebies from the big houses. If so, you are welcome to say 'I told you, dude.').
Old 03-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #29
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #30
David J. Guyton
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
I think that's pretty good! Sod's law that I only checked the top 50 in Fantasy Epic.

Your book isn't listed on the Amazon.co.uk - is that something that can be easily rectified?
I don't know. I know that the Kindle only works in the USA, so no chance for it being available there anytime soon. I have seen my paperback for sale on a few UK sites before, but not amazon.co.uk. Unfortunately I have no control over the level of distrubution. Amazon.com and amazon.co.uk are obviously connected, so it's possible they might offer it over there at some point....it's not up to me though.

Anyone across the pond will probably have to pay to have it shipped from amazon.com I guess.