Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
a couple of questions about children's stories and reality

first: I've just written a story called "Pussy Willow" - on another forum, people immediately thought it was erotica (or at least made erotica jokes) - I'm talking about the actual type of willow, and yes, that specific type of willow is crucial to the story. Is this going to be an issue in a collection of fairy tales?'

Also, I'm thinking of writing a fable about salmon. I know that salmon that actually do make it to the spawning grounds don't always survive the journey, and that most don't survive the spawning itself (although apparently some varieties of salmon do return back to the ocean once they've spawned.)

Is it too dark to talk about the fish (who will be the main characters in the story, although not really a personified main character) dying? This story actually has a moral to it: that it's ok to die in pursuit of a dream, that it's ok to try and to fail - where it's not ok is to not try, or to die embittered by the attempts.

I know the Grimm brothers and Hans Christian Anderson wrote some pretty dark stuff - most classical fairy tales are pretty dark - but is this too dark for a collection to be titled Fables and Fireflies?

(also: I came up with the title; now I need to come up with a story about fireflies... any ideas?)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
How about a story about a little firefly whose light doesn't work right, and how it's ok to be different from others.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I don't have a problem with Pussy Willow, and it's in the dictionary. I'd probably avoid using "pussy" in the book title, but as the title of one of the stories inside a book that is obviously for children, I think it should be fine.

As for the death thing ... I can imagine some people might have trouble with it, but as you say, there are plenty of examples in classic fairy tales. I don't think there is a general rule here, it's really going to come down to whether you get it right in the story (no pressure ). I think you will probably have to write it first and decide later whether it works.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Is it too dark to talk about the fish (who will be the main characters in the story, although not really a personified main character) dying? This story actually has a moral to it: that it's ok to die in pursuit of a dream, that it's ok to try and to fail - where it's not ok is to not try, or to die embittered by the attempts.
Children, in general, have no problem with stories about characters dying. It's parents and worse, non-parents who think children are made of spun glass, who think they need to be sheltered from "dark ideas," who object to stories with deaths in them.

"He finished what he wanted to, and then he died" is a fine summation for a children's story. So is "he tried his very hardest, and even though he didn't succeed, he got to be his own hero."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
first: I've just written a story called "Pussy Willow" - on another forum, people immediately thought it was erotica (or at least made erotica jokes) - I'm talking about the actual type of willow, and yes, that specific type of willow is crucial to the story. Is this going to be an issue in a collection of fairy tales?'
Not necessarily, especially if the cover image (or a subtitle) makes it clear that it's a children's story.

Quote:
Also, I'm thinking of writing a fable about salmon. I know that salmon that actually do make it to the spawning grounds don't always survive the journey, and that most don't survive the spawning itself (although apparently some varieties of salmon do return back to the ocean once they've spawned.)

I know the Grimm brothers and Hans Christian Anderson wrote some pretty dark stuff - most classical fairy tales are pretty dark - but is this too dark for a collection to be titled Fables and Fireflies?
Not if you handle it right. Or, you could change "salmon" to "shad" -- which return to the ocean after spawning. But that might limit you to the northeast US, where we have seasonal shad festivals. Maybe Europe, too, but I don't know.

Quote:
(also: I came up with the title; now I need to come up with a story about fireflies... any ideas?)
Sorry, can't help you there!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was going to title the story "salmon" and maybe describe the fish, but just call them "fish" in the story. If I change the title to something more fairy-tale-ish and the description so to be shad description rather than salmon, I think I can get away with it. I've never heard of shad before, and I'm not sure how many of my readers have either, but yeah, if I don't mention the specific type of fish, that will be a good thing.

I've also pretty much decided to make this a stand-alone story rather than include it in my collection - that will give parents more of an option.

Thanks for the idea!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
My mind immediately goes to a freighter captain traveling through the black with a crew of rogues and fugitives, just trying to keep flying and stay one step ahead of the Alliance.

I would so read that.

Quote:
I've never heard of shad before, and I'm not sure how many of my readers have eithe
I live on the northeastern US coast, and I hadn't heard of it either.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Apparently shad are being introduced into western waters with some degree of success, according to Wikipedia.

Shad do seem to exhibit the behavior that I want - but I can't title the story "Shad" - didn't want to title the story "salmon" either - any suggestions for a better title?

(PS: ApK - how did Cassie like Pussy Willow?)
Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Apparently shad are being introduced into western waters with some degree of success, according to Wikipedia.

Shad do seem to exhibit the behavior that I want - but I can't title the story "Shad" - didn't want to title the story "salmon" either - any suggestions for a better title?
Shad is a herring. I guess Herring wouldn't work either.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard

It doesn't have to be the name of a fish - that was just my working title.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Maybe a rhyming title? Chad the shad?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Shad is a herring.
Heard of herring?

"No, my ears work just fine, sonny." <ba-dum-bum>

Becca, I didn't even get to tell them about it yet. Their mom distracted us all night with a Minecraft paper-crafting project, so I hope to do the story tonight.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
It doesn't have to be the name of a fish - that was just my working title.
I guess I misunderstood you at first. I thought you wanted the title to be the kind of fish you were writing about.

The title might come more easily once the story is written. As in "One Fish's Struggle," or "Shad Conquers His Fears" or whatever descriptive title that embodies the lesson or result you're going for in the story.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I live on the northeastern US coast, and I hadn't heard of it either.

ApK
You've got to get out to Lambertville (or New Hope) for Shadfest next spring!

http://www.shadfest.com/

(And read The Founding Fish, by John McPhee -- a good book!)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
You've got to get out to Lambertville (or New Hope) for Shadfest next spring!

http://www.shadfest.com/

(And read The Founding Fish, by John McPhee -- a good book!)
Mmm...shad and shrimp fritters....I'm there!
I don't even know what shad taste like, and that still sounds good!

Becca, would it send the wrong message if your hero fish ended up in a REALLY GOOD fritter?
"Confident, Courageous, Delicious"

Last edited by ApK; 10-02-2013 at 02:36 PM.