Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
ddjohn
Enthusiast
ddjohn began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX; Pandigital-7W
Managing Tags

Glancing through the Tags in tag browser and learn that I have well over 2,000 meta-data tags. Then figured out how to do some simple editing of the Tags. So I deleted a couple of useless tags. Great. Then I found a misspelled tag and fixed that. Nice.

Now comes the problem. I found that I had two tags, intended to be the same word, but one was misspelled. After fixing the misspelled Tag I really thought the two tags would merge and become one correctly spelled Tag and encompass all the records of both previous Tags. Not so good. The misspelled Tags simply vanished, and no merger took place.

So is there some method to merge Tags when making corrections or clean ups?
ddjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
When that happens to me I just select the "wrong" tag in the left-hand tag browser, select all the books now listed, hit "E" (or use the menu to select bulk-editing metadata), then type the correct tag in the "add tags" box and type the incorrect tag in the "remove tags" box.

I had to do this after staying up too late and tagging several books with "Sceince Fiction".
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjohn View Post
Now comes the problem. I found that I had two tags, intended to be the same word, but one was misspelled. After fixing the misspelled Tag I really thought the two tags would merge and become one correctly spelled Tag and encompass all the records of both previous Tags. Not so good. The misspelled Tags simply vanished, and no merger took place.

So is there some method to merge Tags when making corrections or clean ups?
I just tested this on 0.7.45. I created two tags, one misspelled and assigned them to two different books. I "fixed" the misspelled tag in the Tag Browser (select the tag, right click on it and choose rename tagname), and I ended up with two books having the correct tag - exactly as it should have worked. Did yours work differently?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I just tested this on 0.7.45. I created two tags, one misspelled and assigned them to two different books. I "fixed" the misspelled tag in the Tag Browser (select the tag, right click on it and choose rename tagname), and I ended up with two books having the correct tag - exactly as it should have worked. Did yours work differently?
Same here. Also works for Authors, publishers ...
Rename to an existing one and the merge.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Same here. Also works for Authors, publishers ...
Rename to an existing one and the merge.
I wondered if I was missing something, or if there'd been some code regression. I do this all the time. It's always worked for me.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote