Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Geo-restrictions (hardware?)

I know that this is a topic that has come up in the past and that not a lot of people seemed to care about. But since the T2 has been on the market for a year now, I'd like to check back in and ask if maybe people have figured out a way around this.

I bought a T2 from Germany and would like to use the US Sony Store (mainly because there's no Sony store in Austria or Germany). Now, I cannot select "US" as a region on my T2 which seems to be (in part) a hardware issue since I use the same firmware everybody else does. Even if I select English as a menu language, I can't select "US" as a region (it's simply not there as a possible selection).

I can buy books using the PC software from the US store with no problems (so I can transfer them to my T2 and read them) and I can access the store on the T2's integrated browser (and can even buy books), but the download quits with an error message.

Has anybody figured out how the firmware knows that my T2 is a European model? Is there a way around this?

It's not a major issue but it's the main reason why I switched to Amazon's Kindle PW this year after being a loyal Sony customer since 2007. And as much as I'd like to buy the T3 and go back, I'm afraid it'll have the same issue.

Things worked perfectly fine on the T1, btw.

Matt
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Has anybody figured out how the firmware knows that my T2 is a European model?
That's hard coded in the reader's flash memory.
ebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmr View Post
That's hard coded in the reader's flash memory.
Excuse the naive question, but can I, um, flash that somehow?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Excuse the naive question, but can I, um, flash that somehow?
Without knowing what dependencies might exist, you surely will destroy the device.
ebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

First, there is Sony Reader Store in Germany and Austria. They opened early this year. Check with your European T2. Also, European and North American T2 come with different sets of embedded dictionaries. European T2 comes with a lot more of dictionaries.
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
MattW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
First, there is Sony Reader Store in Germany and Austria. They opened early this year. Check with your European T2. Also, European and North American T2 come with different sets of embedded dictionaries. European T2 comes with a lot more of dictionaries.
Indeed there is. I didn't check back after all these years of trying in vain and shedding bitter tears.

Thank you.

Matt