Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #31
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
So after lots and lots of very helpful advice I have decided to create my own genre column
All I want basically is just to label my thrillers suspense romance biographies etc
But have found many more that I dont know the genre yet and want to label them something like worth reading etc

So hoping someone can lead me through creating a column and the heirarchy stuff As its very confusing reading it in the calibre guide
Got to be simple
Then I can sort my books out bit by bit to my hearts comtent and not disturb you again

As I read at least 5 books every week

Last edited by book64; 01-19-2013 at 08:19 AM.
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #32
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Red face Added Genre Column to Calibre but can't figure out Subgenres

Well I managed to add the Genre Column yippee
The genres I am adding are listed to the left
But just noticed I dont seem to have a Hierarchy Even though the names are different

What am I missing?

Also it says drag a book onto the genre
But they don't seem to want to drag, where should I be dragging from? lol

I am soooo close
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	99656  
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Under preferences>look and feel>tag browser you must type #genre into categories with hierarchical items.

Your custom column type should be comma seperated text like tags

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #34
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've been basing my library on the Dewey Decimal system. I figure it works for libraries, why not me? 000-Gen, 100-Philosophy, 900-History, etc. "Fiction" is large, so I use genres, i.e. Fiction-Horror, Fiction-Sci Fi.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #35
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
To answer your earlier question, I create "collections" using an old version of Sony's ebook software, as I find this much easier. I have converted books using Calibre and noticed that the tags affect my collections if I don't delete the tags and replace it with the name of the collection which I want it to be in.

Calibre isn't simple to use, but it's worth it when you get used to it (so I've been told!).
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #36
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Is there a standard (de-facto or otherwise) set of genres in the library or publishing world?

How about here at the MR library - are the genres a set list, or whatever the poster chooses?

Aside: I was uncertain, so I googled for the plural of "genre". I read that it is "genres", but the "s" is silent when spoken. So I learned something (that I may have known one or many times before, and forgotten, but anyway...).
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #37
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I know of one list of genre terms used in (american) libraries - GSAFD. I don't know if it's the standard, or one of several possible classifications schemes.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #38
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Under preferences>look and feel>tag browser you must type #genre into categories with hierarchical items.

Your custom column type should be comma seperated text like tags

Helen
???? Don't understand
Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #39
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
???? Don't understand
Sorry I was answering the wrong question
To drag and Drop you click and hold on the book title and drag to the genre in the tag browser.

I use the edit metadata window with the following setting
Preferences>Behavior>Edit metadata (single) layout: All on 1 tab.
I find this easier as I have quite a few genres

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #40
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I have recently noticed that B&N has updated the files for many of the epubs I have purchased there. They have new file names, now with a clear revision number attached to them. My hope is that at least some of them contain updated text, including corrections and improved formatting.

Kindle users have said on this forum that Amazon sends out notice of updated books to existing purchasers. B&N just seems to make the updates without providing notice.

Corrections in the text and formatting are important to me, and it means I'll be re-downloading already-purchased but since-updated books. The tags for these will have to be redone.

Just something to think about before spending a lot of time retagging purchased books.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #41
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Sorry I was answering the wrong question
To drag and Drop you click and hold on the book title and drag to the genre in the tag browser.

I use the edit metadata window with the following setting
Preferences>Behavior>Edit metadata (single) layout: All on 1 tab.
I find this easier as I have quite a few genres

Helen
Sorry dont understand
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
To answer your earlier question, I create "collections" using an old version of Sony's ebook software, as I find this much easier. I have converted books using Calibre and noticed that the tags affect my collections if I don't delete the tags and replace it with the name of the collection which I want it to be in.

Calibre isn't simple to use, but it's worth it when you get used to it (so I've been told!).
You can also edit the collections the books are in, once they're already on the reader. If you're in Calibre with the reader plugged in, and in Calibre on the top click "Device" to go to the list of books on your reader. Then you can click once to highlight the book you want to edit, then click once in the "collections" field and then you can change the collection, without changing your library tags.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #43
book64
Love reading

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Disable downloading tags completely or restrict to 1 or 2. Disable sources you dont want to get tags.
How do I restrict it to one or two please?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #44
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
How do I restrict it to one or two please?
Click on EDIT METADATA. Then, look at the tool button next to the DOWNLOAD METADATA. Click on it. On the right hand side, find Max number of tags to download and adjust it to the number you prefer or zero.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #45
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I just go by my personal tastes. So I have separate categories for each of my favourite authors, where I am likely to have a whole lot of books by them. Then I have Pre-18th-Century for all sorts of classics, going back to the ancient Greeks. I have 18th-Century Literature, 19th-Century Literature, 20th-Century Literature, 21st-Century Literature, all for literary writing. Then Crime and Thrillers (speaks for itself) as do Science and Mathematics, and Philosophy, Sociology and Religion, and History. I also have a Miscellaneous category for stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories and everything in it is a one-off as far as my collection is concerned.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote