Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
email on kindle

Ok so i have been doing some research until my kindle 3 arrives about reading email on the kindle and all the solutions i have seen involve using the web browser which i imagine is slow and requires a wi-fi connection unless you have the 3G model. So does anyone know of a way to convert an email to pdf and then forward it with pdf attached to the email address of my kindle device?

I want to this to happen automatically so when an email comes into my gmail account it is converted to pdf and forwarded to the kindle address automatically without the need for me to turn my computer on.

Thanks for any help, something like this must be possible in this day and age.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Actually I've used my gmail email account plenty on the Kindle 2 and it is a tiny bit slow but I've had no problems reading my email or writing new emails. Apparently the new Kindle is faster so I am itching to try emailing out when I receive it.

I don't know of a program which will automatically convert your incoming emails to PDFs and send them to your Kindle but perhaps someone else does. I am happy getting my email via the Kindle web.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I don't understand - Wifi will be needed to get the email on to your Kindle however you access it. Why not try to access email via the web app first, before deciding that it's too slow? Many providers have a mobile version of their web-based email, which uses much less bandwidth and is faster - I'd recommend trying that.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
You can access your Gmail from everywhere. I do it all the time. No need to convert to PDF and send the PDF file.
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I occasionally check my Yahoo e-mail on the Kindle, thru the Experimental Browser. I've got it set up as a bookmark, so it's pretty easy. Not what I would call fast, but it works.
It's quicker to do it on my phone, though, even though they are both 3G.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
nimblebooks
Enthusiast
nimblebooks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This would be easy to do on a *nix system. set up a filter on your mailbox and pipe chunks of messages (say 10 at a time) to an open source PDF converter, then mail the resulting file to your Kindle.

On Windows, not so easy.
nimblebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
nimblebooks
Enthusiast
nimblebooks began at the beginning.

Now here's an interesting possibility: Google has just added voice from Gmail. Could you use the Kindle 3's microphone to make phone calls from your Kindle?
nimblebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
mvdarend
mvdarend doesn't littermvdarend doesn't litter

How about using Calibre to grab the Gmail RSS feed?
mvdarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblebooks View Post
Now here's an interesting possibility: Google has just added voice from Gmail. Could you use the Kindle 3's microphone to make phone calls from your Kindle?
I'm really hoping not. If Amazon finds themselves footing the bill for 3G phone calls they'll kill free 3G faster than you can blink.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
The problem i have with using web access to view email is that i will only be able to that where i have an wi-fi connection where as if i could get my emails converted into some sort of document i would be able to just turn my kindle on in the morning and have my mail downloaded so i could read on the bus etc.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Oh, you are talking about push technology. I doubt that will be available. As far as I know you can only get things sent to your Kindle via Amazon using Whispernet. Amazon will only send things you buy through them to your Kindle (without charging you). You can have files converted by Amazon then sent to your Kindle but they reserve the right to charge for that service. But sent in this case means each item has to be emailed to your Kindle email address, go through Amazon's conversion, then sent to your Kindle. That is not the same thing as setting up automated pushing as in an email client.

To get your emails to you each morning most likely will require a manual step on your part. Don't forget, this is an inexpensive ebook reader and not a smartphone or computer. However, some kind soul might be able to create a hack to do this.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-26-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
While it is possible to setup email to pdf converter and forwarder on your PC with some batch file magic, are you really OK with paying 15 cents per incoming email?
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
@ Blog Kindle
There is no charge if it's sent to the @free.kindle address, since the O/P only has a wifi version they would never get charged for this. Its only stuff sent to your kindle over 3G (not including purchased books) that you get charged for.

I agree with Mvdarend's suggestion of using Gmail RSS feed and Calibre, you should be able to get something working using that method. Not sure how easy it would be for the non-computer savvy though.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #14
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Use the built in browser to go to the mobile versions of the various email systems:

http://m.gmail.com
http://us.m.yahoo.com

and others...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #15
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphphotography View Post
@ Blog Kindle
There is no charge if it's sent to the @free.kindle address, since the O/P only has a wifi version they would never get charged for this.
My understanding was that he wanted email to arrive to Kindle automatically. Sending stuff to @free.kindle will not get it on the device - it will be emailed back.

Does amazon actually differentiate if document was downloaded via 3G of WiFi?
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote