Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
makani
Enthusiast
makani began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-505
new kindle coming?

Amazon has the kindle 2 on sale, does this mean a new kindle is on the way?
Makani

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-23-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling in Thread Title
makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
yep! the day after your 30 day grace period ends after you pony up for the K2!

anyway, probably not. it's a price war with Nook
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Rumors are Kindle 3 in/around August.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
thadiyan
Enthusiast
thadiyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Touch
The Wall Street Journal reported that a new kindle model is due to be out in a few weeks yesterday.
thadiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Doesn't matter, I am fine with my K2. I will skip the new version and upgrade when the K4 comes out.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Doesn't matter, I am fine with my K2. I will skip the new version and upgrade when the K4 comes out.
For me it depends on the specs. If it's got the new higher contrast eInk screen I'll probably be interested.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
... unless I can get the wife to take the K2. Hmmm.....
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I bet it will be a wifi job, like the cheap Nook. No more whispernet.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLarson View Post
I bet it will be a wifi job, like the cheap Nook. No more whispernet.
Rumors are two models. One with Wi-Fi and one without.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For me it depends on the specs. If it's got the new higher contrast eInk screen I'll probably be interested.
did the 2.5.3 update not fix the contrast? supposedly it made it night and day.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorz View Post
A current Viziplex screen (which pretty much all eInk devices use) has a contrast ratio of about 7:1. The new screens are supposed to be more like 15:1. You can't change something like that with firmware, although the font's might be a little sharper now or at least some think so.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorz View Post
Well, I wouldn't describe the difference as "night and day" but, at least in my case, there is quite an improvement in sharpness and density/darkness of the text on my K2. I haven't yet upgraded the DX - its text is already outstanding.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
A current Viziplex screen (which pretty much all eInk devices use) has a contrast ratio of about 7:1. The new screens are supposed to be more like 15:1. You can't change something like that with firmware, although the font's might be a little sharper now or at least some think so.
That's quite an improvement over 2.5.3 but probably not a compelling enough reason to replace K2. I'm patiently waiting for Amazon to announce the specs.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I'm waiting for when a color eink reaches $250 range. It may be awhile but I'm not big on early adopting anyways.
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnowimcoolx View Post
I'm waiting for when a color eink reaches $250 range. It may be awhile but I'm not big on early adopting anyways.
That means you'll have to wait until color eink is out + several month when you'll start to buy a device what could be outrated by its technology?

Color eink 2nd gen and Not early adaptor will still Need lot of time.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote