Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
booksonthemove
Connoisseur
booksonthemove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 with latest Calibre and Linux Ubuntu-9.10
metadata and PDF

Hi,

Can calibre write metadata to a pdf book? I ask because, within calibre, I modified the metadata of 10 books. I upload to my reader, and the titles are what they were before the modification.

1. is this expected behaviour?

2. if #1 is true, please can you suggest a program to modify metadata in PDF?

(running latest calibre)

thanks!
booksonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Someone else who knows should be around here soon.

Last edited by Starson17; 03-13-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no calibre will update metadata in files when sendin to device or saving to disk. only thing is with pdf changing metadata is somewhat hit and miss. PDf is just an ugly, ugly format.

One thing you can do is make sure your PDf metadata writing plugin is not disabled.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
no calibre will update metadata in files when sendin to device or saving to disk. only thing is with pdf changing metadata is somewhat hit and miss. PDf is just an ugly, ugly format.

One thing you can do is make sure your PDf metadata writing plugin is not disabled.
Oops, I could have sworn it didn't change the internal metadata in a file just because you changed the metadata in the database. Sorry for the wrong info.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
booksonthemove
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
just checked - it's enabled (in fact, everything is enabled )

I'll re-edit/re-upload as suggested

cheers
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
booksonthemove
Connoisseur

ByCePDFMetaEdit (windows app) runs fine under xp emulation (wine 1.2). I wish i knew more about writing widgets :|
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
michaelhughes
michaelhughes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
How/where is the metadata set in the PDF?

I have created some PDFs, but when I load them into Calibre and/or my reader, they show the file name rather than a title and no publisher info.

Any pointers are appreciated -- thanks!
michaelhughes is offline   Reply With Quote