Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Author Sort

I'm wondering if there's a way to change how the authors are sorted on Sony Readers. In Calibre, the authors are displayed as First Name Last Name. While I'd prefer to see them as Last Name, First Name, I can live with them as they are because they still sort by last name. Alas, when Calibre transfers them to the reader, they are sorted by first name. While it's disturbing to find Connie Willis under the Cs instead of the Ws, it's a real problem with new books since I often don't remember the author's first name. I might only remember that the author's last name was someplace in the J range and recognize the title when I see it. With Calibre's excellent tagging and collection abilities, I can tag all new books as unread, but it would be really nice if the authors listed alphabetically by last name on the reader.

In Calibre metadata, I have, for example, Connie Willis in Author and Willis, Connie in Author Sort. Any suggestions?

Thanks
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I'm wondering if there's a way to change how the authors are sorted on Sony Readers.
The original firmware respected author-sort, but the support was removed in 1.1.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
CapnKirk
CapnKirk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
The original firmware respected author-sort, but the support was removed in 1.1.
Curious. Do you happen to know why? Have they indicated that it will return?

So, we're left with putting Last name, First name in the author field, then.
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
I have no idea why, except for the plain old stupidity.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I know this is not ideal, but when I build books in Calibre, I enter the names in last name, first name order.

So the only ones displayed the other way are purchased (and not converted) ebooks.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Thank you all for the replies. I did some more experimenting. If all of the metadata in Calibre has the author as last name, first name, then the authors display properly in Calibre and the Reader with last name, first name. Is there any way to automate author display in Calibre? I suspect that if Calibre sent Author Sort instead of Author over in the metadata, the Reader would display last name, first name with the authors in alphabetical order, but could be wrong on that.

I'm finding that I have update the metadata for each author to get this to work. That's not the end of the world, but it already shows Author Display as last name, first name, so it would be nice if that was an option under preferences. Would this be a new feature request?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
CapnKirk
CapnKirk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-600
Polly, I've been thinking about the problem since I just got a 16GB SD card for my prs-600 and will be loading a ton of pdf's and others (a lot of technical literature...). How to organize it? Especially with the issue you mentioned of not being able to remember the exact author name.

The search function will be useful if I can remember a word or string of words relating to the book/document.

The other way is with collections (tags in calibre). For fiction, I have favorite authors and own a lot of their works. So I put all those into a collection. Of course, remembering author name is not a problem here. But it's convenient to have everything in one place. The other technique I'm going to use is subject headings. For the technical literature, I'm going to look up the Library of Congress subject heading for a group of books/documents and use those or a modification of them. And for fiction, general genre would help, too: science fiction, mystery, romance, historical fiction, etc.

Collections have their limitations: you can't nest one collection inside another. But given those limitations, they help cut down what one must scan to find something.
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote