Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Reyben
Connoisseur
Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Erm... None.
Living History: Ben Franklin and dinosaurs.

'Kay, I'm pretty new here, but I have something to be read and these days I'm no longer shy about looking for people to read.

It's a short novella called Living History, available to download in PDF form. Very briefly, the plot concerns clones, dinosaurs and the Concept of Benjamin Franklin. A more detailed synopsis, together with the story itself, is available on the other side of this link:

http://www.red-jay.co.uk/index.php?p=1_16_Prose

EDIT:

And also, for those of you who crave further formats... Living History can now be found here on Feedbooks.

http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/7088

And here on Smashwords. I still recommend the PDF...

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3344

On Red-Jay there's both a regular black-and-white version and a slightly colourised easy-read version for people who have a tough time with screen/contrast issues. If anyone has any trouble with the formats there, let me know and I can try sending you a custom version.

Oh, and it's free, by the way. Forgot to mention that. Good reading!

Last edited by Reyben; 08-15-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Reyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I like it. JSW will probably be around in a few minutes to complain about your novella only being in PDF format but this one should be pretty easy to convert to other formats.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hello, again, Reyben!

It's very good of you to share your work with us.

Another great way to announce your work is to create a signature, put your link in it, and maybe use the cover art as your avatar or even show it in the signature. Check out what the other author / members are doing on MR for additional ideas.

Now, when you jump in and participate in the MR community, others may see it.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Hello, again, Reyben!

It's very good of you to share your work with us.

Another great way to announce your work is to create a signature, put your link in it, and maybe use the cover art as your avatar or even show it in the signature. Check out what the other author / members are doing on MR for additional ideas.

Now, when you jump in and participate in the MR community, others may see it.
What dreams said Thanks for sharing Reyben. I've downloaded your work and will give it a read as soon as I have some time.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Reyben
Connoisseur
Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, y'all! For all those PDF-allergic, I probably have a word version lying around my harddisk somewhere. Somewhere obscure, I should think.

I've been looking to edit my signature, but (at the risk of sounding particularly dense) there's no 'Edit Signature' option anywhere on my User CP, or in any of the subpanels. The search continues...
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyben View Post
Thanks, y'all! For all those PDF-allergic, I probably have a word version lying around my harddisk somewhere. Somewhere obscure, I should think.

I've been looking to edit my signature, but (at the risk of sounding particularly dense) there's no 'Edit Signature' option anywhere on my User CP, or in any of the subpanels. The search continues...
You have to make 20 posts, I think, before you can edit your signature
Old 08-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Reyben
Connoisseur

That's a relief. I was beginning to worry that the button was there, but completely invisible to my eyes. There would be several potential explanations for that, and none of them are good...
Old 08-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's a relief. I was beginning to worry that the button was there, but completely invisible to my eyes. There would be several potential explanations for that, and none of them are good...

Well, maybe until you hit the magic number of posts for a signature.... use the cover art of your book as your avatar?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
You have to make 20 posts, I think, before you can edit your signature
Aha! I'm not going mad then! More mad, that is. I was looking for it desperately, and then the next time I looked, it was bleeding obvious. Nasty people!

Oh, umm, hi Reyben! Have you thought about using Smashwords or Feedbooks to offer more formats?

Quote:
Well, maybe until you hit the magic number of posts for a signature.... use the cover art of your book as your avatar?
Or just post a lot?

(whoops, did I say that?)
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Reyben
Connoisseur

Quote:
...Like thus? I don't know, it feels a little small. I worry about making people squint.

Quote:
Oh, umm, hi Reyben! Have you thought about using Smashwords or Feedbooks to offer more formats?
I have now. I'll have to go digging around for the original word document to send to them. You know, it's remarkable how quickly one's harddrive comes to resemble one's mind- cluttered, cavernous and full of images you can't quite identify.

Quote:
Or just post a lot?

(whoops, did I say that?)
No.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
I have now. I'll have to go digging around for the original word document to send to them. You know, it's remarkable how quickly one's harddrive comes to resemble one's mind- cluttered, cavernous and full of images you can't quite identify.
Thankfully, my HDD does NOT resemble my mind. Otherwise it'd be out of memory, fading in and out, and forming random, silly cross-references left right and centre.

Quote:
No.
Phew. Btw, it's probably not just '20 posts minimum', as I just noticed that this is my 20th post and I've had a sig for a while. Might be minimum posts or karma, though, I guess?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
...Like thus? I don't know, it feels a little small. I worry about making people squint.
looks good.. you could always "edit your details" in your user CP (blue bar above on the left).. and under Reyben.. put author of Living History [ links / info in your sig when you can ]

The below shows the edit details section for this. It is under the bold where mine says coffee, the 505, and me.. Just type in what you want..

Click image for larger version

Name:	edit.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	33863click me
Old 08-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
Reyben
Connoisseur

Dreams, I was just about to follow your suggestion when.... voila, signature! Nomesque was right, far less than twenty. Maybe it was something to do with karma. Not website Karma, actual Karma. I don't really believe in it, but I was kind to a cat yesterday, so I figure I'm due.

I wonder if I should change my Avatar back now? I don't want to look too much like a billboard...

EDIT: Hmmm, had a better idea. Didn't want to shrink the picture too much.

Last edited by Reyben; 08-08-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Yea! You have a signature.

Now you can play with changing avatars.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
Moejoe
Banned

I did a cover for my own copy (still haven't read it yet, but i will as soon as I have time). Feel free to do what you will with it, and if you want the original document it was done in the Gimp (.xcf) but I can translate it to Photoshop (.psd) if you need it.

As ever, if you want anything changing on the cover, have a different idea of how it should be, or what have you, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BENFRANK&DINOSAURS2.PNG
Views:	590
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	33887