Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Just for reading...

Hi

So this is another one of those "what should I buy" threads. I have browsed the forums, checked the wiki and I'm still unsure...

The thing is I just want something to read on, I don't need music or internet service or anything else, just the ability to read books.

I have books on PDF and .lit, I mostly read horror/fantasy/sci-fi and information books (eg: blink, your inner fish, an apple a day ect). Hardly any of the books I read have a lot of images so thats a non-issue...and I live in Quebec.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ETA: I know I don't want a Kindle and can't afford an iLiad

Last edited by ChipnDale; 11-05-2008 at 06:11 PM.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Kindle is not available in Canada but I'm curious as to why you don't want one?

Have you looked at the Sony 505 and 700?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm very happy with my PRS-505 for reading. Most of my books are pdf or lrf. I like that the 505 remembers the last page I read even if I forget to bookmark it. And I like being able to create bookmarks in multiple documents because I tend to read a couple of books at the same time.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
carrie
Enthusiast
carrie doesn't littercarrie doesn't littercarrie doesn't litter

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale View Post
I have browsed the forums, checked the wiki and I'm still unsure...

The thing is I just want something to read on, I don't need music or internet service or anything else, just the ability to read books.

I have books on PDF and .lit, I mostly read horror/fantasy/sci-fi and information books (eg: blink, your inner fish, an apple a day ect). Hardly any of the books I read have a lot of images so thats a non-issue...and I live in Quebec.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Oh my god! You're me! - I have the same types of files, I'm into sci-fi etc and I want it just for reading.

I've got it down to the Sony 505, BeBook and Cybook. And out of them I mostly trying to decide between the BeBook and Cybook.

The BeBook and Cybook seem really similar, I guess it's mostly down to price.

The BeBook is £229
includeds the reader, case, usb cable, earphones
http://mybebook.com/p5/BEBOOK-Digita...duct_info.html

The Cybook has 2 prices
Standard is £180
includes the reader and usb cable
(case brought seperately £25-35)
http://bookeen.com/shop/productdetai...?ProductID=417

Deluxe is £280
includes the reader, usb cable, usb charger, case, 2GB memory card, earphones, extra battery.
http://bookeen.com/shop/productdetai...?ProductID=407
carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both.

Daffy: I have relatives in the US so I could get the kindle but I won't really benefit from having it in QC ($359 to purchase plus around 50$ to ship it to montreal and just to use it for book reading)...looking at the price it just won't be worth it for me. I'm thinking of the Sony 505 but worried about the warranty issues.

Dreamer: The 505 does seem like a great choice sans bells and whistles and it's not too bad price wise either. Only problem for me is the lack of a real warranty...

Carrie: Glad to see I'm not alone on this . The links are very useful...and the Cybook is starting to look really attractive (it'll be about $360 and it comes with a warranty). I'd be interested to hear what you finally decide on.

Last edited by ChipnDale; 11-05-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Advert
Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Thank you both.

Daffy: I have relatives in the US so I could get the kindle but I won't really benefit from having it in QC ($359 to purchase plus around 50$ to ship it to montreal and just to use it for book reading)...looking at the price it just won't be worth it for me. I'm thinking of the Sony 505 but worried about the warranty issues.

Dreamer: The 505 does seem like a great choice sans bells and whistles and it's not too bad price wise either. Only problem for me is the lack of a real warranty...

Carrie: Glad to see I'm not alone on this . The links are very useful...and the Cybook is starting to look really attractive (it'll be about $360 and it comes with a warranty). I'd be interested to hear what you finally decide on.
Go with the BeBook. Not only does it handle HTML better than the Cybook, but it also does a good job with PDF, RTF and non-drm pdb and mobi ebooks. Plus, if you live-run OpenInkpot operating system, you can then use FBReader as your ebook reading application. You get CHM support and FB2 support as well, and by simply taking out the SD card with the OpenInkpot/FBReader, you're back to running the standard BeBook firmware.

Plus, if you go through my affiliates page (in the link in my signature line) I get a few bucks towards buying another BeBook for my mother.

Note that I already own and use two Cybooks, a PRS-500 and EB-100.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm thinking of the Sony 505 but worried about the warranty issues.
What warranty issues? If you are strictly looking at price the Sony is your best bet. If you think the Kindle is to much, then so will be theCyBook or the BeBook... they will cost you more than the Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers

Thanks for the input delphid and pilotbob

Well the Kindle will be more hassel to buy and I won't be able to take full advantage of it so not worth my money...I can't afford the iLiad.

The CyBook right now is having a sale so I can get the basic for about 250$ which isn't bad and from what I've gathered Sony warranty doesn't extend past the US...then again I took that at face value and it can be wrong information.

The Sony 505 and CyBook are the ones that seem mighty tempting right now...
Old 11-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What warranty issues? If you are strictly looking at price the Sony is your best bet. If you think the Kindle is to much, then so will be theCyBook or the BeBook... they will cost you more than the Kindle.

BOb
If you buy a Sony Reader in a country where it's not officially released, then effectively you're buying it without a warranty. You can send it back to the US to be repaired, but Sony won't ship it back to you internationally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I think you'd be happy with either the Bebook or the Cybook. I eventually chose the cybook due to the good price deal in the UK at the time, but was carefully considering the bebook. Each has it's own pros and cons. A comparison of the specs (avail on this site) may assist.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers

Thank you everyone .

I think I'm going with the CyBook via BooksonBoard since they have it on sale. With shipping and a 3yr warranty it comes to about 500$ which is not bad considering I tend to hang on to my gadgets for a long long time (I still have my Sega Genisis from around 1990-ish :P). I'll update my status once I've actually purchased something
Old 11-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you buy a Sony Reader in a country where it's not officially released, then effectively you're buying it without a warranty. You can send it back to the US to be repaired, but Sony won't ship it back to you internationally.
Ok. But, I think the OP is in Canada. In that case Sony does officially sell and warrant the device there.

BOb
Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
from what I've gathered Sony warranty doesn't extend past the US...then again I took that at face value and it can be wrong information.
That's not true. The Sony is sold in Canada and the warranty will be honored there. Also in Canada you can buy from the Sony Connect ebook store. (Not that this is any great advantage.)

BOb
Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok. But, I think the OP is in Canada. In that case Sony does officially sell and warrant the device there.

BOb
Yes, that's certainly true!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers

Ooohhh, in that case I should get the Sony, it'll be much cheaper plus I get 100 free ebooks!! Thanks again

Last edited by ChipnDale; 11-06-2008 at 04:45 PM.