Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
hekom
hekom began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy 10.1
Request: new field/table for characters

I would like to suggest a new field (or table) to register the main characters in a book.

Some writers have a serie of books about one or more persons, for example Robert Crais, writing about Joe Pike, Elvis Cole, Carol Starkey. In some books a combination of those three appear.

regards,
Henny
hekom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can add as many new fields as you want via Preferences->Add your own columns
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
hekom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can add as many new fields as you want via Preferences->Add your own columns
Thanks for your answer!

I've used this feature, but then I would have to create multiple fields for the same purpose. (in my example 3 fields because I have 3 characters).

Or did I miss something?

br
Henny
Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can put all three characters into a single field, just like a book can have multiple authors in the authors field.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
hekom

ah... then I must doing something wrong.

Because when i put "Child, Lee & Connelly, Michael & Slaughter, Karin" in authors they are seperated in the labelbrowser. And that's what I like !

But when i put "Elvis Cole & Joe Pike" in the new field, they are not seperated in the labelbrowser and shown as "Elvis Cole & Joe Pike"

So what is wrong here?

btw, thanks again for your quick responses!!

br
henny
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

When you are creating the column you need click the Authors link in the create column dialog so that it creates a column that behaves like the builtin authors column.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
hekom

That's it !! Perfect !

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
hekom

I do have one additional question to this topic,
Is it also possible to create a new text field/column, which is not displayed in the tag browser?
I want to create a field "Aternative Title", in which, for example, I can store the title of the book in another language.
Of course I can use the columntype "'text, column shown in tag browser" and then I can hide it in the GUI, but I cannot hide it in the website/content server, or can I?

thanks
Henny

Last edited by hekom; 10-29-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can hide any field you like from the tag browser by right clicking it and from the contnet server via Preferences->Tweaks
Old 10-31-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
hekom

thanks,

I cannot get this working for the content server.

I've put these lines in the tweaks:
content_server_will_display = ['*']
content_server_wont_display = ['#alttitle']

It seems to be working only when you start the content server from the GUI.

But these tweaks does not apply when I'm starting it from the commandline (which I do) ?

Is there another way to hide choices in content-server when it is started from commandline?

EDIT: Forget this msg, I've put this in a new tread in another, more appropriate forum called devices.

Last edited by hekom; 11-08-2013 at 09:56 AM.