Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
cliffsloane
cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kindle 4
Can the K4 NT be hacked at all?

I just returned to Thailand from the USA where I bought the Kindle 4 / wi-fi / $79 (BTW, what is the most accurate name for this?). Believe it or not, it is nearly impossible to buy any ebook reader in Thailand.

Mostly, I use it for PDFs and articles from newspapers and magazines. I usually copy and paste to Word doc, and now I save it for the Kindle as a TXT (using Western European Windows charset). I chose the K4 because, despite descriptions on several review sites, PDF display on others, ESPECIALLY the Sony was seriously flawed. It is not great on the K4, but adequate.

OK, the hack question.
Is it possible to change any of these myself?
1. Fonts or font darkness. Can I add fonts, or change the darkness?
2. Margins on PDFs? I can "nudge" a frame, but can I expand it too?
3. If a PDF has columns, can I hack a choice into the options for column width (as opposed to page width)?
4. Other hacking threads for other Kindles talked about enabling support for other formats, such as Epub and RTF. Is that even remotely possible on this one?

Thanks for any pointers you may have.
cliffsloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't know the answer for questions 2-4.

The non-hacking calibre plugin that allows you to modify margins smaller than the system defaults and allows you to use a sideloaded font works exactly like it does on the K3. link.
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I can't answer your questions, except I do believe Amazon calls this the Kindle 4. The previous model has become the Kindle Keyboard. Other new ones coming out are Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Quote:
4. Other hacking threads for other Kindles talked about enabling support for other formats, such as Epub and RTF. Is that even remotely possible on this one?
Not a direct answer, but I have books purchased in .epub format prior to getting a Kindle. I use Calibre to convert those books to mobi, and then side load them to my Kindle Keyboard (K3)
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
cliffsloane
cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.cliffsloane can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't know the answer for questions 2-4.

The non-hacking calibre plugin that allows you to modify margins smaller than the system defaults and allows you to use a sideloaded font works exactly like it does on the K3. link.
This is good, and it wasn't hard to do. I added Georgia (the standard Windows one); it not only shows up, but offers some very nice line spacing options as well as font sizes.

The problems (there are two) are that you can only add one additional font, and that it will remove your new font (renamed "alt") from the list if you select "std" even once. So it does not allow you to switch back and forth. But I wind up concluding that Georgia is so much better than the default serif font (does anyone know its name?) that I will just stay with it, fort the time being.
cliffsloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The default serif font is Caecilia .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote