Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
Breila
Breila began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600, Nook STR
Home Screen, do you use it?

I didn't specify a Nook model for the thread because I suspect this applies to all models.

Do you ever go to the home screen? Once I was past the first few days of ownership, I don't think I've been to the home screen since except to check out the free Friday book, I just don't see the point of it, it just seems like one big advertisement. Am I missing a point?

Perhaps I should note that 90% of what I read are library books, though I will occasionally make a purchase if the library does not have a copy or the anticipated wait is too long. That might make a difference in my usage habits.
Breila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
on my nook classic, very rarely but my nook color quite often. It has three homepages, I use one page for my apps and email. I use the main for current book and two on deck. And i use the last one form newspapers and magazines I download.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
i don't use it on the touch. i pretty much only use the reader and the library.

i would use it if it showed a list of my most recent books, including sideloaded ones. As it is, it's of no use to me.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
cfrock
Enthusiast
cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cfrock once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR & K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

i would use it if it showed a list of my most recent books, including sideloaded ones. As it is, it's of no use to me.
Agreed.
cfrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I have a NookColor, and I use the home screen to access the apps that I make regular use of (ezPDF Reader, Angry Birds, and the Gallery). Other than that, I don't make much use of it.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

Seconded. Even though I buy a fair number of Nook books due to cashback and discounted gift cards through my Discover card, I immediately rip the DRM off of any purchase and sideload instead of syncing my STR with my Nook library. As long as the home screen ignores sideloaded content, it's useless to me.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Worthless advertising panel.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Not really. Only if I get "lost" and need to get back to what I'm currently reading.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote