Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
Hacking EBW-1150 to browse the Internet

Has anyone managed to browse the Internet with an EBW-1150?

I'm thinking this would not be completely crazy. When I click a hyperlink in a document that I read on the device, the device tries to connect to the Internet and the "Initiating connection... Dialing 1-858xxxxxxx" message is displayed." The internal modem wants to connect, and then ""The connection to the eBook Network was not successful. No dialtone. Connect a phone like to your eBook and try again"

If i plug the device in the USB port, when I click a link I get the message "Communicating with eBook Network" but the page is never displayed.

Part of the difficulty is that the device reads IMP files, while most of the internet is html. I would very much like to be able to browse the internet on this device, so if anyone has managed to hack it for this purpose I'm all ears.
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I haven't done it, but I can think of a theoretical approach. As far as I know, there's no way to change the software on the reader itself, but you could make a proxy on the computer you connect to that would catch the network request and figure out what to do with it. The Librarian software does this now and redirects the bookshelf access to your local bookshelf, rather than the one at eBookWise, so it seems at least possible that you could catch the hyperlink network calls the same way.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

I have noticed that in the settings page of the device one has the option of both HTTP proxy and proxy for USB. In both cases, you can specify the http proxy address and the http proxy port. But I have no idea how to go from here.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not that proxy -- that would be for if you have a proxy server to get through a firewall, e.g. at a business or school. The idea is similar, though.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
sputnik
Enthusiast

So I have to transform my computer into a proxy server for the ebook, this is what are you saying? If yes, where can I find some reliable information on how to do that?
Advert
Old 07-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Try writing to the author of the eBookwise Librarian software. There are some links from the eBookwise site.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
sputnik
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip
Old 08-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yes you can browse the internet with an EBW1150. The only thing is that the internal browser is not very powerful and will not correctly render new HTML pages. Simple HTML is fine for this device.

I tried that when I was trying to write a Java program to upload local ebooks to my device. As a proof of concept I remember generating a special html page that enabled web surfing. The project then died because of my lack of java knowledge and time.

This is how it worked: the device tries to connect to ebooktechnologies server and asks for a file which is a list of books. You change your OS "hosts" file so that that URL resolves to another IP. Breeno has done that and changed it to point to 127.0.01 (localhost) so that you can upload local content.
The second part is to instead of giving the list of books file, give it a specific file with a link to the internet so that you can start browsing. I think you cannot directly type an URL.
I still have the java files if you are interested in that small proof of concept.
Hope this helps a little...
Regards!
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
Yes you can browse the internet with an EBW1150. The only thing is that the internal browser is not very powerful and will not correctly render new HTML pages. Simple HTML is fine for this device.

I tried that when I was trying to write a Java program to upload local ebooks to my device. As a proof of concept I remember generating a special html page that enabled web surfing. The project then died because of my lack of java knowledge and time.

This is how it worked: the device tries to connect to ebooktechnologies server and asks for a file which is a list of books. You change your OS "hosts" file so that that URL resolves to another IP. Breeno has done that and changed it to point to 127.0.01 (localhost) so that you can upload local content.
The second part is to instead of giving the list of books file, give it a specific file with a link to the internet so that you can start browsing. I think you cannot directly type an URL.
I still have the java files if you are interested in that small proof of concept.
Hope this helps a little...
Regards!
This sounds so interesting.

I have been playing with a proxy server (Linreb - Linux eLibrarian) for the REB 1200 (big brother to the EBW1150) and have not done any testing on the EBW1150 because it doesn't connect to the internet via ethernet. I grab the HTTP GET / POST produced by the REB 1200 and server back my info.

Can you share your (java) code and experiences getting the EBW 1150 to "surf the net"?

Most appreciated if you can!

EDIT: Just tested Linreb with the EBW1150 and it works perfectly. I'm all set except for that psuedo-surfing ability you hacked together! Cool! This may work together with the recent announcement that Mobileread has gone Mobile by pointing the EBW1150's internal broweser to http://www.mobileread.mobi/ . These are simple pages and hopefully Linreb can be modified to allow direct downloading from the Mobileread IMP ebook uploads forum... please stay tuned...

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-08-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: now tested Linreb proxy server with EBW1150 and it works!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi,
Unfortunately I had a HD crash and lost the few lines of Java code I managed to work with. I'm sorry. I remember giving the code to users in fictionwise Yahoo group, though.
I remember that that code consisted on responding to a book list request from the EB1150 device with html code. That code was a static html file which had some links to the internet. That was the way the device could surf the web.
Sorry I can't give you more details, I lost all my files so I cannot be more specific. I'm trying to contact a guy from Yahoo group who might still have the code.
Good luck!
Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi,
Unfortunately I had a HD crash and lost the few lines of Java code I managed to work with. I'm sorry. I remember giving the code to users in fictionwise Yahoo group, though.
I remember that that code consisted on responding to a book list request from the EB1150 device with html code. That code was a static html file which had some links to the internet. That was the way the device could surf the web.
Sorry I can't give you more details, I lost all my files so I cannot be more specific. I'm trying to contact a guy from Yahoo group who might still have the code.
Good luck!
Thanks for trying to track down that code.

I have been hacking the Linreb eLibrarian code I uploaded to the Fictionwise forum here and trying your idea of sending the html file with links to the internet in place of the booklist, but I couldn't get it to work.

I would welcome looking at that java code (even though I have no java programming experience) to see how the special file is transferred to the EBW1150 and what the links in that file 'look like'.

I'm a member of the Fictionwise Yahoo group so I will search there as well.

Again, thanks for trying! Do you still use your EBW1150?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Ret
Connoisseur

Yes, I still have (and love) my EB1150.
So far I didn't find my code, and I'm afraid I won't be able to get it back
Anyway, I remember reading the protocol used between the device and the server. I think I've used some kind of software to "listen to" the network traffic while the device tried to access ebookwise account on the internet (I may have used tcpdump)
The protocol for book request/download was quite simple. I don't remember if I "injected" the html file as a response to the first server access or when the device requested a book.
I'll try to check on an old hard drive I dumped long time ago.
Hope this helps :P
Old 08-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
nrapallo

Quote:
Yes, I still have (and love) my EB1150.
So far I didn't find my code, and I'm afraid I won't be able to get it back
Anyway, I remember reading the protocol used between the device and the server. I think I've used some kind of software to "listen to" the network traffic while the device tried to access ebookwise account on the internet (I may have used tcpdump)
The protocol for book request/download was quite simple. I don't remember if I "injected" the html file as a response to the first server access or when the device requested a book.
I'll try to check on an old hard drive I dumped long time ago.
Hope this helps :P
Looks promising...

I want to adapt your idea of 'serving up' a html file instead of a booklist or book and "serve up" .imp ebooks directly from the uploads ebook forum here.

The C code for Linreb is very straight forward and shows all the HTTP GET requests that get served up and/or responded to by the (proxy) program. I have sniffed all but the REB1200's communication with the ETI servers. I captured with Linreb the communication between the proxy server and the EBW1150 (and REB1200) and used assniffer v0.2 to capture the EBW1150 communication with the ETI server. The EBW1150 uses the usb to connect to the internet. Alas, I couldn't do the same with the REB1200 as it connects off a router and assniffer under Win XP couldn't sniff other local IPs than my XP box. The REB1200 uses a NIC to connect to the internet but my XP box needs that NIC to connect to the ETI server so no capturing could be done!

However, in the REB1200 Yahoo group Files section in the 'REB1200 content' directory, there is a file (free_book_http.cap) that shows all the HTTP packets exchanged between the REB1200 and the old Gemstar servers in Aug 2002!

So I have 'sniffed'-capture files coming out of my ears, but need to try your hack to see if it is still possible to 'surf the internet'.

I asked for your java code in the Fictionwise Yahoo group so hopefully others can help the cause...

If you want to look at the Linreb code or HTTP capture files, I can point you in the right direction...
Old 08-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
If you want to look at the Linreb code or HTTP capture files, I can point you in the right direction...
I now attach those HTTP capture files that show the communications between the EBW1150 and ETI servers, REB1200 and old Gemstar servers as well as REB1200 and GEBLibrarian / Linreb.

Lots of techie stuff in there...

I also include the html files sent to the EBW1150 from the ETI servers along with some of the images, for reference purposes.

The old Gemstar servers capture file shows some interesting communications with the local host, namely:
Code:
local://remotebooklist
The GEBLibrarian capture file shows that the first ebook in the booklist sent to the reader is the place holder for the directory selector. Very interesting...
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTTP_captures.zip (174.3 KB, 639 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 08-21-2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
Ret
Connoisseur

Reading those caps I can recall some things:
You see the device uses Allegro HTTP client. It sends HTTP GET requests to the server. If you use a local "Librarian" you can fetch any HTML file. My proof of concept fetched a static html file containing one link to google.com. That prooved that the device could surf the net.

If you want to generate and fetch your own list of books you'll have to fetch an HTTP response containing the string "Content-Type: text/x-booklist" and then the list of books in this format:

Code:
3:B:ebook<TAB>BOOKNAME<TAB>AUTHOR<TAB>CATEGORY<TAB>SIZE<TAB>URL_TO_BOOK<TAB>1<TAB>17
Taken from:
3:B:eBook	eBook User's Guide Version 2.2	Thomson Consumer Electronics	General Interest	452630	http://bookshelf.softbook.net/bookshelf/default.asp?BOOK_ID=eBook&SOURCE_ID=3&SOURCE_TYPE=B	1	17
If the device asks for a book the server should respond with an HTTP response containg "Content-Type: text/x-book" (which I infer, since it's not on those caps)

Does this help you? Hope it does Take a closer look at your caps. I think all you need to know is almost all there
Good luck