Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
chicki
Enthusiast
chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Re: Smashwords

Interesting article by author Bob Mayer about using Smashwords.

http://writeitforward.wordpress.com/...k-distributor/

Chicki Brown
chicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
That is interesting. Thanks for the link.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Is Smashwords really that bad? I ask, because I've heard so many good things about them.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The problems described in the article are familiar to me, too. Some of them are a result of Smashwords' "use one file to create for everyone" system, and the fact that satisfying the Premium Distribution channels is... involved. Plus, the system might have you think you have more control, but in the Premium channels at least, you don't. Just like authors who go through big publishers, you are still at the mercy of the people with the big pockets.

I wouldn't blame Smashwords for this... most of it is, quite frankly, out of their hands. The mistake many people make is assuming Smashwords has some special relationship with the bookstores that they will take on your behalf, and it's not so. They are, essentially, an open-to-the-public distributor (one that also allows direct sales). They simplify the process, for those who can't handle the complexity of other channels. Their output isn't always the prettiest, but it works.

As long as you have realistic expectations for what services Smashwords provides, you won't be disappointed.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I know quite a few authors, including myself, who've had similar experiences. It's not the fault of Smashwords, but the bookstores who discount so severely. Mark Coker, the Smashwords dude, suggested to price the book slightly higher on SW to take into account the discounting that some bookstores do. Or, you could opt out of listing your books in the stores that are notorious for deep discounts (Kobo).

I upped the SW price on my book to $3.99 so that a 25% discount would bring the price down to where I wanted it in the first place: $2.99. If anyone discounts more than that, I'll yank the book from their store.

Now that we have PubIt as an option to get books into B&N, SW is most useful for authors who want their books in multiple formats. For my next book, I will publish at Amazon's DTP, PubIt and Smashwords, but @ SW I will opt out of distribution. I'd rather not have to worry about price juggling.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Cliff Ball
Zealot
Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I uploaded my 3 novels to Kindle and one to Pubit myself. I like the fact that I have them on Apple, Kobo, Sony, and other places through Smashwords. I sold more novels through Apple in one month than even on Kindle, and I didn't even really advertise they were on there. But, unless I'm offering a free copy on Smashwords, I can't get anyone to buy my novels on Smashwords.
Cliff Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
The reason I'm not happy with the idea of using Smashwords is that they start out from a MS Word document, and although my OpenOffice and even LibreOffice can save in MS Word format, it's not really where I would want to begin from, especially as I have taken a lot of trouble getting my book into epub format.

But this article killed any plan to use the Smashwords premium system.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Oh dear... That's me screwed.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Oh, does this only cover their premium service and not their regular one?
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Smashwords has been very worthwhile for me, although I'm in a different position from the blog writer, as my books are not yet in the Kindle Store, and neither B&N nor Sony are discounting them (possibly because they're only $1.99). Based on the most recent sales reports, I'm currently selling about 100 books/week at B&N, which is the most successful outlet for me so far.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I'm considering dropping the premium distribution from SW because the handful of sales I've gotten from Kobo don't make up for having to adjust the price and then offer a coupon to get the price back to $2.99. Smashwords is really convenient for getting electronic copies to reviewers, though. For the first month of my novel's release, I had more sales directly through SW than through any other retailer.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
horse_girl
Enthusiast
horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!horse_girl rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook, Motorola Droid
It tends to be Kobo that discounts and Amazon and B&N match it. If you don't want to have your books discounted, just opt out of Kobo.
horse_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for this useful post
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I think the article is a little unfair. I haven't had any problems so far as getting books distributed to other sites. As for discounting, I'm not exactly sure what Kobo is doing. I have one book (under another name) distributed through Smashwords to Apple, Sony, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and Diesel, but directly through Amazon.

I listed the book for $0.99, which is how it shows up everywhere. On Kobo, however, when I search for the book it comes up as $1.09 discounted to $0.99. And then when I click on the book, the book's page shows the discount as $0.99 discounted to $0.89. The book hasn't been reduced on Amazon or disabled.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
How does Amazon's price matching thing work with mixed currency sales, does it go by the current conversion rate? Does it take account of UK VAT versus no VAT for Americans? 3USD (average Smashwords price) is about 1.88GBP, which would be about 2.25GBP including VAT from January onwards.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote