Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Producing ePub documents from Adobe InDesign

Until now, creating e-books in the recently introduced ePub format (which is poised to become the next open e-book standard) has not been exact science but more of a trial and error process. This may change now that Piotr Kula, a Berkeley student who spent his summer intern at Adobe, has documented the necessary steps to create ePub documents with the convenience of Adobe InDesign.

First installment of the documentation: Link.

[via Adobe Blogs]

Related: Adobe Digital Editions 1.0 released
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Has anyone heard of any e-reader companies whose SW actually supports ePub yet? In other words, has anyone moved from support to actually using it? I will likely release my next novel in ePub, but if no one's using it "in the field" yet, I won't rush.

I also wouldn't mind cutting back my list of formats to ePub plus 1-2 others, but again, if no one's using it yet, I'm hesitant to do that.

Or are all the companies simply planning on releasing "ePub-to-MyFormat" converters?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

There is of course Adobe's own digital Editions - but only available for desktops/laptops at the moment.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Those directions do sound rather complicated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Those directions do sound rather complicated.
For public domain books, it'll be much easier to use Feedbooks.com for Epub files...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Okay, but my requirement is to convert my own novels to the ePub format, to offer them for sale. I'm in the proofing/cleanup stages of my latest now, after which comes format conversions to (presently) 6 different formats, and I'm just wondering what kind of actual market there is for ePub right now.

And in fact, I know that I can do the job manually, or, to make the job blindingly easy, I can plunk down a few C-notes for InDesign. Either way, it's do-able.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Okay, but my requirement is to convert my own novels to the ePub format, to offer them for sale. I'm in the proofing/cleanup stages of my latest now, after which comes format conversions to (presently) 6 different formats, and I'm just wondering what kind of actual market there is for ePub right now.

And in fact, I know that I can do the job manually, or, to make the job blindingly easy, I can plunk down a few C-notes for InDesign. Either way, it's do-able.
There's no market right now for Epub. Epub is for the near future, but don't expect anyone to read your book using Epub right now.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Hadrien,

I found out something interesting about FBReader. With the sample epub books at IDPF, I simply renamed them .oebzip and FBReader displayed them just fine. I'm sure that there are some things that epub does that won't work this way, but apparently there is enough backwards compatibility with OEB that this works with all four sample files.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
Hadrien,

I found out something interesting about FBReader. With the sample epub books at IDPF, I simply renamed them .oebzip and FBReader displayed them just fine. I'm sure that there are some things that epub does that won't work this way, but apparently there is enough backwards compatibility with OEB that this works with all four sample files.
You can make OEB valid Epub files, I guess that's why these Epub files displayed just fine in FBReader. The lack of CSS support and embedded fonts though mean that you won't get the full experience.
I really hope that FBReader will support Epub, this way iLiad users will be able to use Epub files too (for the Sony PRS-500, the support will be directly from Adobe).
Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The very latest FBReader version 0.8.6c (released last night) has initial support for .epub. The TOC isn't recognized yet, and CSS/fonts (and tables) are generic issues for FBReader.

MobiPocket says that their Windows Reader 6.0 will convert .epub files to .mobi, but this did not work on any of the files I tried from Adobe.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The very latest FBReader version 0.8.6c (released last night) has initial support for .epub. The TOC isn't recognized yet, and CSS/fonts (and tables) are generic issues for FBReader.

MobiPocket says that their Windows Reader 6.0 will convert .epub files to .mobi, but this did not work on any of the files I tried from Adobe.
The lack of proper CSS support is embarassing for Epub in FBReader: it's a pretty important feature of Epub.

But initial support also mean that people with the iLiad will be able to use Epub files pretty soon.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

I suggest you unzip the epub files and take a look at the contents. It will give you a clue as to the success you might have converting it. I extracted a few .epub documents and found that the html ones and some xhtml documents would convert fine to my eb1150 using ebook publisher. They should convert fine using MobiPocket's publishing tool as well and will probably convert ok with the Windows Reader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The more I learn about this .epub, the better it sounds. Almost makes me optimistic.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote