Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What Travel/Adventure book will enthrall us in March?
The Last Days of Old Beijing: Life in the Vanishing Backstreets of a City Transformed by Michael Meyer 10 25.64%
Wild by Cheryl Strayed 10 25.64%
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson 13 33.33%
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce 7 17.95%
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne 13 33.33%
In an Antique Land: History in the Guise of a Traveler's Tale by Amitav Ghosh 9 23.08%
Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer 10 25.64%
Endurance by Alfred Lansing 7 17.95%
River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard 8 20.51%
In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hmm... I've just realized that regardless of which book wins (save Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea), I may be priced out of March.
By the way, I've been doing a bit of reading on the horrid state of affairs with this book relating to bad translations. However, the main complaint is the original translation and some that were derived from that terribly abridged version.

There is no such problem with the MR links I've provided. They were based on a public domain translation by F. P. Walter which was meant to be quite good and not abridged (religiously or politically).

I think those who were hanging out for a "proper" translation of the text need not wait for a new book to be published.

HarryT can probably expound much further as my investigation into the matter was brief and based on the Wikipedia reference to this novel and the epub that HarryT has kindly provided for us here at MR.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The Last Days of Old Beijing is under $10 at Kobo and coupons will reduce that. You can play the current trivia contest to get a coupon code.

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-L...Lyw/page1.html
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hmm... I've just realized that regardless of which book wins (save Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea), I may be priced out of March.
You can always go my path with paper books from the library. My current reading this year is 14 paper books and 1 eBook. I like the convenience of eBooks, but not the price. Most of these titles would be $14 for me in eBook format.

amazon.ca prices:
Endurance: $8.97
In a Sunburned Country: $14.99
In an Antique Land by Amitav Ghosh: $9.99
In Patagonia: unavailable (there's an old link from Inkmesh into Amazon.com, but searching amazon.ca and even amazon.com yields nothing)
The Last Days of Old Beijing: $9.45
River of Doubt: $13.99
Seven Years in Tibet: $9.99
20,000 Leagues: free as its public domain in Canada
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: $13.99
Wild: $14.99

I requested In Patagonia from the library.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
In Patagonia: unavailable (there's an old link from Inkmesh into Amazon.com, but searching amazon.ca and even amazon.com yields nothing)
In Patagonia is available from Sony for $12.99. https://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/br...00000000329111 It is a Penguin release and thus will be $12.99 everywhere in the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #20
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I'm just wondering how this beautiful cover would look on an Eink screen!

Spoiler:
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
I'm just wondering how this beautiful cover would look on an Eink screen!

Spoiler:
It's not that nice. It looks Photoshopped.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe it's a collage of an old pic of Potala Palace with a more recent pic.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There are a few things about the cover that I don't like.

I don't like the author of line under the author name.
I don't like the review blurb.
I don't like the more than a paperback bit.

Those are not specific to that cover. I just don't like extra junk on a cover that doesn't need to be there.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
medard
Wizard

I agree with point a) and point c).

Point a) is quite annoying since I've never heard about this book. Seven Years in Tibet is by far Harrer's most famous book.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'm seeing that myself. When I was thinking of books to nominate pretty much everything I checked was $12-$15. I'm thinking if I can't get the winner at the library I'm going to try and go used paper as I'm not keen on paying to much for any of these except maybe one.
I might have to go that route as well, as I don't have a lot of faith in my library system. It really will depend on which book wins.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A review blurb has never ever gotten me to buy a book. And if the review blurb in on the front cover, I may possibly pass up that book. This is for paper books in a bookstore.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #27
medard
Wizard

As long as it's written You're really smart if you buy this now and The Times thinks so, too I'm fine with this.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #28
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

C'mon The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce!!! You're both my first choice and actually available in my library system, through Overdrive!!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
C'mon The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce!!! You're both my first choice and actually available in my library system, through Overdrive!!!!!
Put in the reserve now and when it's available borrow it for the longest time allowed.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #30
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Put in the reserve now and when it's available borrow it for the longest time allowed.
Can I reserve a book that is currently available?