Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
filling up my ereader

perhaps this is a silly question. i'm getting close to filling up my touch.

does it need to have a little bit of disk room left "free" for memory swapping like my laptop uses ... or can i fill it up?

and what happens if i try to put more books on it than it has room for?
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
perhaps this is a silly question. i'm getting close to filling up my touch.

does it need to have a little bit of disk room left "free" for memory swapping like my laptop uses ... or can i fill it up?

and what happens if i try to put more books on it than it has room for?
You'll blow it up and in the process, you'll get hit with flying shrapnel from the Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The one thing I woulkd be careful about is filling it! I'm kind of afraid that you might get a corrupted database on the Kobo if the unit has no free storage when it goes to process the material you just added to it.

Also, when time comes for a firmware upgrade the new firmware is initially copied to the same storage area as the books and database are in, so again, I for see issues....

The new firmware images are normally in the 100 to 150 Meg range .
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
I filled my Glo to overflowing through Calibre. After 400 accepted books it refused to add anything and had an official 0 bytes left. That meant that I couldn't write to the SD card either, probably because there was no room for the updated database on the internal card. I don't know about swap files, but I would leave a few Mb free internally. After all, you have a card slot, why not use it?
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The one thing I woulkd be careful about is filling it! I'm kind of afraid that you might get a corrupted database on the Kobo if the unit has no free storage when it goes to process the material you just added to it.

Also, when time comes for a firmware upgrade the new firmware is initially copied to the same storage area as the books and database are in, so again, I for see issues....

The new firmware images are normally in the 100 to 150 Meg range .
I can actually comment from experience here.. I haven't really encountered database corruption from filling up the memory on the KT. I've currently got my KT filled to 1390/1400 with no problems on speed or DB corruption. The only problem with having it filled to this point (I suspect a large chunk is actually image files that the KT creates/deletes as needed) is that since firmware updates expect 100-150MB free to unpack and install you won't be able to upgrade till you bring the total down. Or if you look at it the other way if you keep your KT relatively full you can continue to sync a few ebook files w/o the worry of getting upgraded forcefully. If you attempt sync and the KT becomes too full it simply displays a message to erase a few files before trying to sync again. Your KT will not explode like some others may imply..
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

that's good to know it needs about 150 for the updates. that's what i have right now ... but since it prompts me for a password to connect to wifi each time, i've been to lazy to sync since the last upgrade. so i don't think it's going to be asking me to upgrade anytime soon, unless i can find that slip of paper with my neighbor's wifi password on it.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Dakini why do you want to store all of your books on your reader. I keep under 100 on mine. It seems slow to page through 100 books looking for one. Would it not be easier to store them on a computer or flash drive and add a few in your current reading queue?
When using the Android tablets or phones you can keep them all in a directory on a card and only import the ones to be on your shelves, but with a dedicated ereader the unit must process all that are there. Seems like asking alot of a reader, especially since you can only read a few at a time if that? Just curious.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
dakini
not "it"

actually, all my books aren't on my reader.

but i live in more than one country, and often travel. i'll be away for a month soon. in several countries. so i like having a wide assortment of books on the reader. pleasure reading. books i'll be teaching next term. books i've wanted to read for a while. some classics. some silly children's books and young adult books.

*shrugs* i knew it was getting full, but then when i added another 200 this weekend, it was suddenly ... oh, over 1GB used now ... less than 200 MB left ...
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I have the glo but I think touch is similar in book storage.. How about using Dropbox and storing your library there and then adding what you choose to read? It might be alot easier to browse.. I read mostly light fiction, mysteries, paranormals etc. so I delete when finished. If I really want them back, I think Amazon or Kobo stores them in a cloud somewhere...My freebies are on my harddrive. I tried to only use 2 or 3 pages of books on my kindle, but with the Kobo, I have added a few extra.. Nice to find out it, will read mobis..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote