Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Classics with a happy ending?

Hello! My boyfriend and I are trying to pick a book to read together. We want to read something that is a classic so that it will be in the public domain and we can just download it from here (ideally) or from gutenberg or manybooks. What are some of your favorite classics that have happy endings?

Edited to add: My boyfriend does not want to read Jane Austen. We have read two of her novels together and he was not a huge fan.

Last edited by purple_fishy; 10-09-2012 at 01:50 PM.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Jane Austen's EMMA might suit you.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Unfortunately, my boyfriend dislikes reading Jane Austen. Otherwise we would be diving into Emma or Persuasion right now.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the inital post. I will try to edit that.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Unusual for Dickens, but The Pickwick Papers has what I would call an all round happy ending. David Copperfield as well I suppose.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
Unfortunately, my boyfriend dislikes reading Jane Austen. Otherwise we would be diving into Emma or Persuasion right now.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the inital post. I will try to edit that.
Well, you *could* try Edgar Rice Burroughs's Mars Novels. The first trio definitely has a happy ending and is *nothing* like Jane Austen.
Conan Doyle.
Mark Twain.
The prisoner of Zenda and Rupert of Hentzau.
(That should have enough testosterone to suit an Austen-hater.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Unusual for Dickens, but The Pickwick Papers has what I would call an all round happy ending. David Copperfield as well I suppose.
I enjoyed David Copperfield.

Spoiler:
I still to this day am a bit miffed that he didn't marry Agnes right off the bat. His first wife who he stuck with and was the epitome of high-maintenance until the day she died, and yet he loved her.... But I was so glad he ended up with Agnes in the end.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I second the Mark Twain.

And depending on your definition of "happy," you could include Gulliver's Travels. Which also has the added benefit of explaining some geeky inside jokes (ever wonder where the words "big-endian," "little-endian," and "yahoo" came from?)
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
purple_fishy
Zealot

We loved Gulliver's Travels. We read that together last year.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_fishy View Post
We loved Gulliver's Travels. We read that together last year.
I was just wondering about "read together", how does that work exactly?
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
purple_fishy
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
We pick a book that both of us wants to read and we read it. We chit chat about it as we go through it. It's not like a formal book club or anything, just something we like to do together.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
The Secret Garden by Frances Hogdson Burnett is a considered a children's book, but I liked it and it does have a happy ending.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Graustark, by George Barr McCutcheon, in a similar vein to Prisoner of Zenda and Rupert of Hentzau, except that it really does have a happy ending, unlike the Hope novels. Available here at MR.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozawun View Post
My wife and I will read to each other in bed. I have to do the reading usually because I tend to fall asleep a little too quickly when just listening.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce is definitely a classic and has one of the most beautiful endings I know. Don't be put off by the fact that it is usually classed as Young Adult--everyone of whatever age (including me!} can get something quintessentially beautiful out of it.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Three Musketeers
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote