Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
Is 505 contrast much better than PRS-500?

Hi -

I got my PRS-500 cheap a few months ago, and am happy with it, except
for the gray background. The words are definitely hard to read in dim light.

I'm told that the 505 has a much greater contrast, and a "whiter" shade of gray.

Can anyone confirm that the 505 screen is much better?

Thanks!
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It's much better, easier to read, no ghosting. Faster page turning
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is specifically the readability in low light levels for which the 2nd Gen "VizPlex" screens show the greatest improvement. I always had to use to use a reading light in the evening with my PRS-500. With my Gen3 (which uses the same screen as the 505) I can comfortably read in normal ambient light.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
That's good to hear. I've got $300 burning in my pocket, and I think it may go to purchasing a 505 upgrade.

:-)
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Thread 1

Thread 2
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Yes, the background is lighter and the black print is darker.
Is this solely because of the Vizplex or is it partly due to the 8 colors available, which I don't think all devices with the Vizplex screen have.

Last edited by BenG; 05-15-2008 at 08:12 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DojoPat View Post
That's good to hear. I've got $300 burning in my pocket, and I think it may go to purchasing a 505 upgrade.

:-)
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Yes, the background is lighter and the black print is darker.
Is this solely because of the Vizplex or is it partly due to the 8 colors available, which I don't think all devices with the Vizplex screen have.
Nothing to do with the 8 vs. 4 grey-scales. "Black" is "Black" no matter how many grey-scales you have .
Old 05-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But the "black" is blacker on the 505 compared to the 500 and not just in contrast to the background.
It's especially noticeable on the information bars at the top or bottom of the page.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It is indeed, but that's due to the VizPlex screen, not the number of grey scales. It's equally "black" on the Gen3, which has the same VizPlex screen as the 505, but only 4 grey-scales.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard

Thanks. I haven't seen any screens other than the 505.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
chiral
chiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enoughchiral will become famous soon enough

Device: 505
Yes, except in full sun, which seems to ionize and weaken the image.

Try this experiment -- in full sun shade a portion of the screen. With the other hand flip the page. You will see the shaded portion much darker.
chiral is offline   Reply With Quote