Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
keep selection made on device!

hi people...
I asked time ago for a feature allowing me to create a catalog just for books residing inside a particular collection (my "To Read" books: a catalog of all the books on device would be too large), but I was told it wasnt possible.

I just thought that it could be done in the easiest way with a very small change in Calibre: if I order the books in the Device panel, I can easily select all the books in the same collection.
Now, the only thing Calibre should be changed to do is, when I switch to the Library, to keep the same books selected.
This way, since now I would be in the Library pane, I could access the "Make Catalog" feature.
Seems simple, isnt it?

alessandro
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
I asked time ago for a feature allowing me to create a catalog just for books residing inside a particular collection (my "To Read" books: a catalog of all the books on device would be too large), but I was told it wasnt possible.
It has been able to be done for ages. Simply search for what you want, as an example.

tags:"=To Read"

Then create catalog via the drop down arrow next to convert books icon.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
It has been able to be done for ages. Simply search for what you want, as an example.

tags:"=To Read"

Then create catalog via the drop down arrow next to convert books icon.
mmmmm no, not really: "To Read" is a value of "Collections", a column that appears in the Device pane when I connect my Kindle: it is not a tag value.

alessandro
Old 11-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
mmmmm no, not really: "To Read" is a value of "Collections", a column that appears in the Device pane when I connect my Kindle: it is not a tag value.
So make it a tag and create the catalog.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
alexxx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
So make it a tag and create the catalog.
yes, but here we are again: if I select the books on the Device pane, I cannot edit anything, tags included.
That's why it would be perfect to select in Device, and have the same books selected in Library.

alessandro
Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
yes, but here we are again: if I select the books on the Device pane, I cannot edit anything, tags included.
That's why it would be perfect to select in Device, and have the same books selected in Library.
I am at a disadvantage since you have a Kindle and are looking at it.

When my device is connected I see in the library view exactly what books are on the device so I never see any need to look at the device view. Everything I want to do can be done from that view.

If I had a Kindle I would use the Kindle collections plugin to create my collections and my To Read collection would be reflected in a tag already.

Good Luck.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
To add to Wals reply.
Any book in the device view WITH a tick mark , also has a Tick in the main library.
So, You can add a tag You just have to switch views. (click the column head to sort or enter the search: ondevice:true then do a bulk edit and Add Tag

BTW Only those WITHOUT a tick in device view, do not exist in the main Library (you might want to select those and right-click "copy to Library" as a backup )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #8
alexxx
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
To add to Wals reply.
Any book in the device view WITH a tick mark , also has a Tick in the main library.
So, You can add a tag You just have to switch views. (click the column head to sort or enter the search: ondevice:true then do a bulk edit and Add Tag

BTW Only those WITHOUT a tick in device view, do not exist in the main Library (you might want to select those and right-click "copy to Library" as a backup )
I'm really starting to feel stupid ... can I just replay my steps, maybe I/you will see what I'm missing???
1) Device pane - I select a dozen or so books (e.g. in the Collection "To Read", but they can be any books...).
2) Double-check: they are all "In-Library" ticked
3) I switch view to Library pane: there, I find selected whichever book I had selected before going in the Device pane, in step 1), so no way to edit metadata for the set of books selected at that step

What am I missing????

alessandro

Last edited by alexxx; 11-15-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm really starting to feel stupid ... can I just replay my steps, maybe I/you will see what I'm missing???
1) Device pane - I select a dozen or so books (e.g. in the Collection "To Read", but they can be any books...).
2) Double-check: they are all "In-Library" ticked
3) I switch view to Library pane: there, I find selected whichever book I had selected before going in the Device pane, in step 1), so no way to edit metadata for the set of books selected at that step

What am I missing????

alessandro
Don't switch Library views.
Tap 'E' (bulk metadata edit because more than 1 title selected)
fill in the Add Tags box with your Tag(s) to add
'OK'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote