Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #46
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatGIV View Post
OR, they just don't care one way or the other.
Unfortunately, you may be right.

I do hope though, that even if the answer is "Overdrive has no plans to make their new site work with Sony readers" that the library person will at least take a minute to email me and tell me this, just so I will know.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:30 PM   #47
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I submitted my case yesterday morning, and got this response back this afternoon:

>>>Thanks for contacting OverDrive Support Services.
>>>
>>>I'm sorry for the trouble you're having. Our developers are aware of the issue you mentioned and are working hard to fix it.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately, we don't have an estimated time of completion yet. I appreciate your patience.
>>>
>>>In the meantime, you can transfer eBooks to your Sony Reader using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).

Of course, my only working Windows machine runs XP, so I am loath to connect it to the internet anymore.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #48
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I submitted my case yesterday morning, and got this response back this afternoon:

>>>Thanks for contacting OverDrive Support Services.
>>>
>>>I'm sorry for the trouble you're having. Our developers are aware of the issue you mentioned and are working hard to fix it.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately, we don't have an estimated time of completion yet. I appreciate your patience.
>>>
>>>In the meantime, you can transfer eBooks to your Sony Reader using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).

Of course, my only working Windows machine runs XP, so I am loath to connect it to the internet anymore.
Thank you - it is good to know they are working on it. I hope you can find a workaround in the meantime.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #49
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Thank you very much, pholy. Starting off Monday morning on a positive note!
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #50
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
I have a Nook Tablet, the one that came out in 2011, and I've had a lot of trouble with the Overdrive (new version of). So much that I gave it up and started using ADE.

I know this thread is about Sony, but it might be of help to Sony owners as well. Lastnight, I was able to use my Overdrive (worked great). For me it was very slow the first time around, but I wanted to keep trying to use it every once in awhile, because I don't like ADE.

Anyway, it was slow, slow, slow, but it was working through each step of borrowing a book from my library2go through Overdrive. I got so tired from waiting, but I did get my book. Instead of reading I just laid there for awhile, couldn't sleep so decided to give it another go, downloading another book. It went faster, and just like the old Overdrive. So it must have been my Wifi.

The one thing I realized I don't have to do in order to put the book on my Homepage, is Add to App. I just did the download.

I can't find what the Add to App means? Does anyone know? Thanks, and hope I am not intruding here, because I can't find others talking about this Overdrive thing, except here. If there is another place, feel welcome to tell me to "go to" LOL! Denise
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #51
4691mls
Wizard

Heard back from the library person, they requested a snapshot of the page that shows Add to App instead of Download.

Unfortunately Tonight (as has happened at least half the time since the switch to the new Overdrive) I managed to sign in to my account but cannot access my holds, loans, or wishlist. When attempting to access my holds, loans, or wishlist I get booted out of the Sony reader’s browser altogether. When I reopen the browser I get an error page that says “something went wrong”. I did figure out how to take a snapshot, so I attached a copy to my email to the library.

Since I could not actually get to my loans and attempt to get a book, I found images online of the old "download" and new "add to app" screens and pasted those into my email.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #52
4691mls
Wizard

Haven't heard back yet re: my latest email to the library.

Tonight I am able to access holds, loans, and wishlist - this ability seems to come and go every couple of days.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #53
Tremont
Tremont began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nexus 7 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Thank you - it is good to know they are working on it. I hope you can find a workaround in the meantime.
I am having the same problem, and appreciate your efforts to get a response, although I worry that a solution might not be forthcoming.
I was subscribed to two libraries, and was able to download using the prs-t1 and use the 'add to app' button.
First 1 library failed to download, and now the second won't work with my Sony : Download Unsuccessful.
I have also encountered problems where I get booted out of the library to the WiFi homepage.
I prefer an ereader for my books, and don't side load from a PC as I travel frequently.
For now it appears I will use Overdrive on my Nexus 7 as a workaround, but that isn't my long term solution.
Perhaps I'll have to look at Kobo as an alternate solution.
Thanks again for the other posters for adding information on this subject.
Tremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #54
as649
as649 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
This post on the Overdrive site is not encouraging:

https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...gital-editions

Are there options on a rooted Sony PRS T1 which would allow us to borrow books from libraries directly onto the ereader? (i.e. not side-loading on PC)
as649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #55
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by as649 View Post
This post on the Overdrive site is not encouraging:

https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...gital-editions

Are there options on a rooted Sony PRS T1 which would allow us to borrow books from libraries directly onto the ereader? (i.e. not side-loading on PC)
darn.
I see this page https://help.overdrive.com/customer/...-e-ink-readers still has text that says "How to borrow and download eBooks using a Sony Reader Wi-Fi" but there is no longer a link to instructions.

Edited to add that I've started a thread in the "which one should I buy" forum asking what other options there are, in case I decide to get a different reader.

I have not heard anything further from my library's help desk. I guess they don't want to be the ones to officially tell me Overdrive is no longer supporting direct download on Sonys.

So I guess it's either keep the Sony and rely on sideloading, or look into other readers. Ugh.

Last edited by 4691mls; 12-23-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #56
librarylion
librarylion began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs-t1
Bad News from Overdrive

My library tech received the following response from Overdrive. The problem seems to be https. The sony browser is not compatible with https. So unless Sony issues a software update .... it's sideloading. Sorry

==================

OverDrive recently upgraded more of our services to HTTPS as part of our continued commitment to security and privacy. While this process was seamless and invisible to the vast majority of users, it resulted in compatibility issues for some older devices and software versions.

Unfortunately, Sony Reader Wi-Fi devices no longer allow users to download library eBooks directly on the device.

Users can still download library eBooks to Sony Reader software on their computer, then transfer eBooks from their computer to their Sony Reader.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and have provided solutions and alternatives below (wherever possible).

Sony Reader WiFi
Sony Reader WiFi devices no longer allow users to download eBooks directly on the device. Users can still download library eBooks to the Sony Reader software on their computer, then transfer eBooks from their computer to their Sony Reader.

NOOK GlowLight Plus
Users cannot currently open library eBooks that they've transferred to the NOOK GlowLight Plus. Barnes & Noble is aware of this problem and working on a fix, which should be released in a future device software update.

Adobe Digital Editions (ADE)
Some users have had problems downloading eBooks using Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) 2.0 or below. As a solution, we recommend always using the latest version of ADE (currently version 4.5). Some Windows XP users have continued to experience issues after upgrading ADE, so they may still have difficulty downloading library eBooks. Microsoft discontinued support for XP in 2014, and unfortunately there is no solution for these users at this time.
librarylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #57
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Funny thing is, they could have Overdrive's page identify the browser and/or it's features (HTTPS or not) and adjust accordingly. They just don't want to.

So our only hope is someone rooting the latest versions of our firmware so we can install an updated browser.
That sort of thing seems to have stopped too.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #58
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Funny thing is, they could have Overdrive's page identify the browser and/or it's features (HTTPS or not) and adjust accordingly. They just don't want to.
Aside from the additional work involved in running two systems, since this change was ostensibly for increased security NOT using HTTPS on all browsers leaves them open to liability it's not going to happen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #59
4691mls
Wizard

I discovered the reader will no longer access Google Play either - it used to be possible to shop there (though not download books) but if I try to access the store now it boots me out of the reader.

I suppose the reader will be able to access fewer and fewer websites as the sites are upgraded.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #60
Colin Grant
Colin Grant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hi all,
I contacted Sony Europe about this problem, and here is their reply and my response:

Dear Mr Grant,
Thank you for your recent respond.
In regards to your enquiry, please be advised that sadly there will be no firmware update for the device to be compatible HTTPS.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Dear.......,
It is indeed sad and disappointing that Sony have decided to cease supporting the PRS-Tx readers only 4 years after the last ones were sold.
Sony used to have a reputation for supporting legacy devices (such as the Walkman) by maintaining compatibility with changes in software systems. Now, all who purcased this e-reader because of its ability to download books while away from a PC will have to purchase a new device such as a tablet. In most cases I doubt they will choose Sony.

Sadly yours,

Colin Grant

If they do respond I'll post again, but I don't hold out much hope.

Colin
Colin Grant is offline   Reply With Quote