Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 04:50 AM   #46
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
I have a 64 bit iMac, so was excited to learn here of the new Reader software for Mac.

Unfortunately, once installed I was not able to log into my account. Instead I got an error message:
"Reader Store encountered an error.
Please contact Sony customer support.

Error: -1."

I did contact Sony, they took over my computer, but could not immediately identify the problem. I am very impressed by their customer service, but am still waiting to login!
That's a bug in their new software. I have a password with special symbols and it works everywhere except in this new program. After I changed it on my reader to something more plain (alphanumeric only), I was able to log in without problem.

Oh, and to reset the credentials (if you check Remember me, it's kind of impossible to do "normal way"), you have to go to the registry
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Corporation\ReaderDesktop
and delete values in eBSPassword and saveCredentials.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:53 AM   #47
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
K, How can Calibre be used with books offered by the Sony Store?
I buy and download new books with Sony's tool, then remove the DRM with my own tool (actually, you can skip this step), then add the result to Calibre and sync them to my reader.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 AM   #48
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
K, How can Calibre be used with books offered by the Sony Store?
Any book you purchase from the Sony store, once downloaded, can be added to the calibre library and can be managed like any other book. Since the purchased book is restricted by DRM you won't be able to view the file via the calibre viewer or convert to any other format. The DRM though will not prevent you from using calibre to send the book to the ereader.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #49
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
This may be better off in another forum, but does Calibre allow you to create collections in a way that mimics the collections option that the sony software does?
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #50
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgriff View Post
This may be better off in another forum, but does Calibre allow you to create collections in a way that mimics the collections option that the sony software does?
I've owned Sony devices for almost three years and have never used the Sony software for more then an occasional purchase so I can't compare the collection features.

Calibre is very tightly integrated with all current Sony devices. I have set calibre metadata management to automatic and have chose to create collections automatically, every series I have is turned into a collection on the device and every tag I have not in brackets[] are turned into collections. Additionally I use the metadata plugboard to add the Series info to the author line as shown in the attached image.

So I can't compare the two, I am sure you can also manually create collections via calibre too but prefer them to be handled on the fly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Author series.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	76626  
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #51
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Any book you purchase from the Sony store, once downloaded, can be added to the calibre library and can be managed like any other book.
Walt, Thanks for the good info!

A clarification? By "can be added to the Calibre library" do you mean to <copy> and <paste> the book into the folder from which Calibre does its <add books> from? Or is there some other way to get the books into the Calibre library.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #52
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
A clarification? By "can be added to the Calibre library" do you mean to <copy> and <paste> the book into the folder from which Calibre does its <add books> from? Or is there some other way to get the books into the Calibre library.
There are multiple ways to add books the big red add books icon is a good place to start. I just drag any book I'm adding from my file manager to the main library list. You can get more info over in the calibre forum.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #53
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Because I use Calibre, I only have the latest books I have pruchased in my Reader Library. I archive them to a separate folder once I import them into Calibre.

As for creating collections, Calibre is MUCH mroe flexible for that than the Sony Software. Calibre lets you make collections from tags, for Series (including putting the books in the collection the series order), Author Name. And you can create custom columns to use to organize you books any way you want.

So Calibre really makes the collections feature of Sony Readers WORK.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #54
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Well, I am still trying to get the new software to work. Has anyone had success in getting it to see memory cards, SD cards or any other external memory plugged into the Reader? Every time I plug in a device with a memory card, the software freezes.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #55
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
I for one like the new software. If works on my slate pc, the old software would not display correctly.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #56
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike View Post
I for one like the new software. If works on my slate pc, the old software would not display correctly.
Any luck with annotations? I can't get those to display in the new software, any tips would be appreciated. I have finally figured out it actually stores them - for example, if I scribble on a PDF, copy it to my PC, delete it from the device, annotations won't display on PC - but if I then copy it over to the device again, the annotations are there. So they are stores, just not displayed correctly.

Also, I can't get it to export annotations correctly.

Pages do sync. Kind of. Device to PC, they do. But if I plug a second device, it tends to overwrite the previous sync, which is annoying, instead of syncing the second device. Not sure, I might just need to dig into this more.

But dictionaries are not syncing at all. I am not sure whether they are supposed to, but I assumed dictionary logs would.

What about memory cards? I can't get it to recognize any. This is actually quite a big nuisance for me.

Also, it keeps putting some issues of periodicals (such as Financial Times and WSJ) under the 'Periodicals' tab while other issues under the 'Books' tab. And some under both. I can't figure it out - same magazine, auto-delivery, some days goes under one tab, some days under the other.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #57
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
Sorry, but I don't use annotations. I just use the software to read on my pc. I did highlight a word and type in some test info and it shows a little page icon next to the highlighted word as well as in the contents, bookmarks and highlights menu. Clicking on the word listed in highlights took be back to the page where the word was selected, clicking on the little page icon next to the highlighted word brought up the test page that I typed. Hope that this helps.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #58
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike View Post
Sorry, but I don't use annotations. I just use the software to read on my pc. I did highlight a word and type in some test info and it shows a little page icon next to the highlighted word as well as in the contents, bookmarks and highlights menu. Clicking on the word listed in highlights took be back to the page where the word was selected, clicking on the little page icon next to the highlighted word brought up the test page that I typed. Hope that this helps.
As far as reading goes, this software is a big step up.

Thanks for the tips on annotations - and for your reply. But my problem is with handwritten notes taken on the device - anything 'free-hand'. I find it ridiculous that the old software would allow you to view those on your PC and to export them - while the new one does not display them on screen and the export is broken.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #59
vxf
Guru

I have been toying with this software a bit longer. I am giving up now, because it seems fundamentally broken. Some of the problems I was not able to solve:

1) Frequent freezes. There does not seem to be a trigger. It freezes when adding books, when loading, when closing, when plugging in a device or when removing it. It froze when I was renaming books. It froze when adding books to collections. It just freezes. I tried it on two different PCs, both running Windows 7, both with the same, frequent, problems.

2) I can't get it to see external memory in my PRS900 or PRS950. If I plug in anything with an SD card or a memory stick, it freezes.

3) It seems to have tons of bugs related to periodical classification. I have imported the same files (old Wall Street Journal issues) multiple times - sometimes they all go under 'books', sometimes they all go under 'periodicals', sometimes they get split. I can't figure it out. By adding/removing/adding again I was able to eventually have most of the stuff show up under 'periodicals'. But some of the magazines I purchased are still under the wrong tab - and I have not been able to fix this. Note that the same files are correctly classified as 'periodicals' under the old software.

4) Some files just won't import. Again, stuff purchased through SONY's own store and that works perfectly with the old software. No error message, no feedback. The file simply does not appear in the library.

5) You can't display handwritten notes on screen like with the old software. Tools to export the same are broken. Old highlights/bookmarks are often missing as well.

6) Page sync works, but it's clumsy (it will sync progress only once you open the file on your pc and accept the sync option in a dialogue box). But I was not able to sync pages/highlights/annotations between my PRS950 and PRS350 by using the PC as a bridge.

7) Some of the purchased content, you just can't delete.

7) A frozen SYNC has forced already 4 factory resets by temporarily bricking my device.

The good? A slightly smarter file management system (the database is one single file now). The sync of page/notes/annotations works only partially (not across multiple devices), but it would be a nice feature - if it worked. The reading pane is much nicer, if you read on screen. You can import files by just dragging them from your desktop into SONY's software.

Overall, SONY has truly outdone itself and surprised me by managing the impossible - a piece of software that sucks even worse than the previous 'Reader Library'. This has the same problems, plus many new bugs.

I have stuck with SONY's software (instead of Calibre) because of its ability to handle annotations. But that is utterly broken, now, so I think I will just give up, uninstall this garbage and either revert to the old Reader Library (which I have still installed - no need to uninstall and no overwriting with the new software) or switch over to Calibre and give up on annotations...
Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #60
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here is another observation. The Reader for Mac software lets you make collections of mixed content: books, songs, photos, etc. I made a collection which didn't include books. When I transferred it to my T1, it is unable to recognize a mixed content collection. It says "no books" and then asks if I would like to add any. It looks like an empty collection.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote