Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Wael
Wael doesn't litterWael doesn't litter

Device: none
The Islamic Egypt (Novelette)

The Islamic politicians won the elections throughout Egypt. But they were a new and different generation of the Islamic politicians. Many previous Islamic politicians won their popularity through clash with the west. But the new politicians’ project was the Islamic Civilization based on the spiritual Islamic principles and the scientific Western Civilization.

You can get the free copy of the e book at:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/44350
Wael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Wael

Hi,
About 23 persons have viewed the thread, but there is no reaction. The statistics of the forum show that it is an active forum. So, what's wrong?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it's your blurb that might be part of the problem. You list the book as a novelette but the blurb reads more like a non-fiction account of things. Whose pov is the story told from? What problem does he/she have to deal with? Why is the problem a problem and not something that can be pushed aside or easily resolved? You don't have anything about any of those questions in the blurb. A blurb should intro the main character, tell us what the setting of the story is, give us a taste of the problem that they face and an inkling that whatever they have to face it isn't going to be easy. I was reading a posting in a newsgroup last evening about plotting that is relevant. You need three things for a character to be realistic in a plot. 1)Goal 2)Motivation 3)Conflict and they should be illustrated in the blurb as well. The hero has a goal, something they want to achieve, they have reasons (motivation) for wanting to reach that goal and there is conflict due to their goals being at odds to the goals of the other characters.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Wael

Hi Crich70,
As regards the plot,The main character is not simply one person, but the main character is the group of the new Islamic politicians, scientists, writers, artists ....etc.
1- The goal is the establishment of the New Islamic Civilization.
2- The motivations are the human, religious, national feelings and the desire to succeed.
3- The conflict lies in the attitude of some western politicians who want to announce the new cold war against the New Islamic Civilization.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wael View Post
Hi Crich70,
As regards the plot,The main character is not simply one person, but the main character is the group of the new Islamic politicians, scientists, writers, artists ....etc.
1- The goal is the establishment of the New Islamic Civilization.
2- The motivations are the human, religious, national feelings and the desire to succeed.
3- The conflict lies in the attitude of some western politicians who want to announce the new cold war against the New Islamic Civilization.
The point I was trying to convey is that usually a story is crystallized down to an individual character's problem that must be solved. In David Kitson's "Turing Evolved" for example the main character is known as Jonathan Carlson and the story focus's on him and his life. I'm not going to make a lot of comments on Mr. Kitson's story here since I don't want to spoil the plot, but it is very much Jon Carlson's story from start to finish. In your blurb you state a goal for the group and what motivates them and give an idea of why it isn't going to be easy, but you don't single out anyone as being the focal point. For example if one of the characters is engaged to be wed and his views on the events in the story are in conflict with the views of his fiancee's family and thus threaten to tear them apart. The story becomes more personalized then. You could have little tidbits of info. throughout the blurb that give an idea of how some of the characters will be affected on a personal level. I haven't read the actual book as yet and am only suggesting broad ideas to improve the blurb so as to draw more attention. What the 'personal' effects of the conflict will be depends on what your characters actually go through. From the general to the specific.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Wael

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
The point I was trying to convey is that usually a story is crystallized down to an individual character's problem that must be solved. In David Kitson's "Turing Evolved" for example the main character is known as Jonathan Carlson and the story focus's on him and his life. I'm not going to make a lot of comments on Mr. Kitson's story here since I don't want to spoil the plot, but it is very much Jon Carlson's story from start to finish. In your blurb you state a goal for the group and what motivates them and give an idea of why it isn't going to be easy, but you don't single out anyone as being the focal point. For example if one of the characters is engaged to be wed and his views on the events in the story are in conflict with the views of his fiancee's family and thus threaten to tear them apart. The story becomes more personalized then. You could have little tidbits of info. throughout the blurb that give an idea of how some of the characters will be affected on a personal level. I haven't read the actual book as yet and am only suggesting broad ideas to improve the blurb so as to draw more attention. What the 'personal' effects of the conflict will be depends on what your characters actually go through. From the general to the specific.

Hi Crich70,
In "The Islamic Egypt", the persons disappear in the whole. In Egypt as well as the world, the individuals disappear in the movements of the history. Although it is the present and not the history yet, the narrator can be described as a historian. The narrator sees with the eyes of the historian and hears with the ears of the historian. My idea may be different and you may not agree with it. But I think that my idea can be given a chance.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I wasn't trying to be objectionable. All I meant to point out is that most literature is written with a defined protagonist rather than a group at the center of things. Even the ancient Greeks with their chorus still told the story of one person and their struggles. If the story works well and good. It might be hard for a lot of people to grasp though.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Wael

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be objectionable. All I meant to point out is that most literature is written with a defined protagonist rather than a group at the center of things. Even the ancient Greeks with their chorus still told the story of one person and their struggles. If the story works well and good. It might be hard for a lot of people to grasp though.
Hi Crich70,
However, what is your opinion about the theme of the novelette?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I think that everyone has their own point of view on how things are going now days, and that each has both good and bad points to it. There are people in government on both sides who fear the other and what they may bring about. It's a very old conflict at the heart of things. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate & hate leads to suffering. And groups do form on both sides of whatever issue is the point of contention. As I said before my point was that it's easier for a reader to empathize with a single character rather than an extended group, simply because the author can focus more on a representative of a group than they can if they are portraying the effect of the action on a larger group. The more points of view in a given story the more diffuse the tension could be because by time the reader is getting to know one character the story is already meeting another one, so that neither is as developed as they could be. I wish you luck with your novelette though.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Wael

Quote:
I wish you luck with your novelette though.
Thank you, Crich70.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
azhar.musafir
azhar.musafir began at the beginning.

Hi,
I am new in this forum and I hope that I will have good time in this forum.
azhar.musafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
fedora
Connoisseur
fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Thank you so much for posting this. I really appreciate getting your side of this story. Apart from the New Yorker, The New York Times, and a few media broadcasts, it is hard to find out what is going on in Egypt. And I think it is vitally important for our future.
fedora is offline   Reply With Quote