Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Washington Post reportedly considering adding a paywall in 2013

The WP just made me login in over on the Opinion Page.

They are considering a paywall.

article
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
The WP just made me login in over on the Opinion Page.

They are considering a paywall.
If they do it same like NYTimes - the count of free articles restarts once you clean your browser's history - then it's not an issue, at all...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I certainly hope that as a print subscriber (my DH refuses to give up his newspaper) that I won't be required to pay any extra for the online content.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Google News = free
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I find there is so much free news out there, that I don't really find much worth paying for. If one goes behind a paywall, I just find another quality RSS feed. So I build my own newspaper with articles of interest to me.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
If they do it same like NYTimes - the count of free articles restarts once you clean your browser's history - then it's not an issue, at all...
That is just the start my friend. Just the start.

Try getting into the Wall Street Journal beyond what they let you peep at.

There are levels of protection they can use.
First they offer inducements. Coffee mugs, hats, the ability to search back into the archives, appeals for the good work they do, ...
Second they pester you with warnings, with "you have used 5 of your 10 free tries" working off cookies.
Third they remember your IP.
Fourth, don't don't let you in pass the outer gate without passwords biometric checks, etc., except at designated port holes where you watch from a distance things that could be more interesting if you could get closer.

The first 3 things are circumventable.. The Fourth is much harder. (i.e. WSJ)

Then comes the clincher.
Fifth, they sue anyone that aggregates or repeats their stories, data.

Still there will be News Sources. The TV channels and their own line presence are one I will mention.

Personally, at this point in time, for me, the argument that many of the News Papers, (MSM) etc., are important to the country is more than balanced by what I see as overbearing bias. I would just as soon see (m) a lot of them gone.

I like the old journalism. The facts please.

That is not to say that there should not be opinions or editorials, guest pieces and the like, but separate that out, and identify it plainly.

Last edited by frahse; 12-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That is just the start my friend. Just the start.

There are levels of protection they can use.
First they offer inducements. Coffee mugs, hats, the ability to search back into the archives, appeals for the good work they do, ...
Second they pester you with warnings, with "you have used 5 of your 10 free tries" working off cookies.
Third they remember your IP.
Fourth, don't don't let you in pass the outer gate without passwords biometric checks, etc., except at designated port holes where you watch from a distance things that could be more interesting if you could get closer.

The first 3 things are circumventable.. The Fourth is much harder. (i.e. WSJ)

Then comes the clincher.
Fifth, they sue anyone that aggregates or repeats their stories, data.

Still there will be News Sources. The TV channels and their own line presence are one I will mention.

Personally, at this point in time, for me, the argument that many of the News Papers, (MSM) etc., are important to the country is more than balanced by what I see as overbearing bias. I would just as soon seem a lot of them gone.

That is not to say that there should not be opinions or editorials, guest pieces and the like, but separate that out, and identify it plainly.
The mainstream media is largely big money sponsored.it is full of lies,bias and same old **** while important stories that are relevant to people are ignored or given pro corporate spin. no wonder their readership is going down.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I'm looking at the left-side panel of the Washington Post via Calibre, and this is what I see:

World
National
White House
Business
Opinions
Local
Entertainment
Sports
Redskins

I find the categorization clear. If you instead use an eReader browser to go to www.twp.com (Washington Post mobile site), categories are similar.

Now, even a factual article requires some POV for fact selection. One correction for this is to label borderline opinion articles as "Analysis." A more significant correction for this is to present a range of views in potentially controversial news stories, and to have a wall between the editorial and business sides of the paper.

Quote:
Television news, in the US, has tended to be, by Washington Post standards, either analysis or opinion. And it is often uncategorized. In many on-line TV news web sites, opinion pieces and factual Associated Press stories are presented side by side without any warning that one is punditry and the other an honest attempt at objectivity.

Quote:
How old are you? The old journalism I remember best is investigative -- Woodward and Bernstein, Seymour Hersh, Barlett and Steele. Some of these people are still writing for newspapers, but, relatively speaking, today's mainstream US newspaper journalism is more hard news and less analysis, if only because muckraking costs money.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-08-2012 at 06:05 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author

SteveEisenberg

1. I referred to TV News and in particular local as a source of news as the old sources huddle together in an unreachable underground crypt or dry up and blow away. (Thank goodness.) I didn't say they didn't have their own problems with viewpoint, on politics, etc.

2. In the panel to the left as you refer to it, I only see one category that explicitly states that it might have other than the facts.

3. Perhaps I should have said I like the old journalist emphasis on facts. The J. Schools I understand it are now totally up todate with opinionated and one sided teaching.

4. As for what you call old journalism, I don't claim real familiarity with those people except for Hersh who had a wild daughter who shot at some cops and belonged to one of those strangely names groups.

5. This "POV for fact selection" is a travesty of an idea.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
3. Perhaps I should have said I like the old journalist emphasis on facts. The J. Schools I understand it are now totally up todate with opinionated and one sided teaching.
If I have detailed knowledge on a subject, I notice that the journalists often get things wrong. Even with easy stuff. Dr. Dean Edell spoke about the poor quality of medical journalism. I must assume they get things wrong in other areas as well.

There was a guy who would send out phony press releases. The names and contact information were fake. Yet a bunch of outlets ran with these stories because they made no attempt to verify. They have run urban legends as factual stories.

Why would I want to pay for this?
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
If you copy the article title into google search and click into the article from the search results you will often get the entire article. At least that's been the case with me.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author

cjr72

You are singing to the choir my friend. I have done that and other things like that many times.

I have subscribed to WSJ before, but decided that I didn't have time to follow it and get my money's worth. I generally check out RCP and sometimes get a lead into the Journal.

Sometimes though something is really interesting, even astounding sounding from the little bit you get to look at and you try and try to get the whole thing. Then finally 2 weeks later you find out that the heading/blurb really was misleading and it wasn't that astounding at all. At that point, you realize that most of it is garbage and so money or time spent trying to see everything is just wasted.

Last edited by frahse; 12-10-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I haven't seen too many instances of where I would need to pay to get news. The Internet is so full of news sites there's really no reason to pay for news. Especially since none of the big ones break real news stories anymore anyway. I can wait the 10 minutes for it to pop up somewhere free.

Have paywalls hurt website usage, or do they actually work to bolster a company's bottom line?

And usually you have to pay for the Editorials, which usually suck.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I found this article interesting: http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmo...-like-the-fts/

I've been using those paywall workarounds for a long time but I am not the kind of user who subscribes. I just want to read an article every now and then when it's linked. The kind of user who subscribes (has the money and wants to read a LOT of articles), will probably pay to avoid the hassle of the workarounds.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I found this article interesting: http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmo...-like-the-fts/

I've been using those paywall workarounds for a long time but I am not the kind of user who subscribes. I just want to read an article every now and then when it's linked. The kind of user who subscribes (has the money and wants to read a LOT of articles), will probably pay to avoid the hassle of the workarounds.
Personally I think that a lot of the subscribers are expensing the costs. Their company is paying. Also a lot of times, people in the same business, like medical doctors have an agreement to provide professional courtesy. No money exchanges hands but they each benefit from the expertise of the other. My guess would be that they do count these arrangements in their subscriber numbers but not on their tax returns.

I have done it with aircraft.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote