Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
WiFI by SD on Cybook

Anybody know if it would be possible (at least in theory) to by software update enable the Cybook Gen3 to download content using a WiFI enabled SD card (as mentioned in this article)

Of course until Bookeen complies with its GPL obligations this would have to be done by Bookeen.

Last edited by Prospect; 01-11-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
Anybody know if it would be possible (at least in theory) to by software update enable the Cybook Gen3 to download content using a WiFI enabled SD card (as mentioned in this article)

Of course until Bookeen complies with its GPL obligations this would have to be done by Bookeen.
SDIO requires a different controller and driver. It is very doubtful that the Cybook has the required hardware and they certainly do not have the required driver.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The Eye-Fi Card would not let you do that anyway. I asked them. They only do uploads to certain webbrowsers. No general communication is possible.

But i keep looking for a wifi card, that works with a normal SD slot
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

The firmware of the Eye-Fi Card could maybe be replaced as well
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
Paulius
Paulius began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Nokia 770
In theory, this could be done. Because the wifi card uses the SD slot, there's no need for any hardware modifications, only software ones.

Not sure about the EyeFi, because it was made for uploading pictures. More generic SD wifi cards would be more appropriate.

Quote:
If you email them and they don't provide you with the source code, they can get into lots of trouble.
Paulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Prospect
Other

I would quess that the Ey-Fi card will work independently of the host, and that it triggers automaticly when new content is saved to the card.

If there is a Wi-Fi SD card out there with the oposite function it might perhaps work without the need of special software on the Cybook. The card could somehow be timed to wake up and connect to a network to downlad the latest news feeds. One problem is that the Cybook somehow would have to notice the change of content on the card.

I do not know if such feature would be of any practial use, but it would be fun to pick up the Cybook in the morning and read the morning news.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
I would quess that the Ey-Fi card will work independently of the host, and that it triggers automaticly when new content is saved to the card.

If there is a Wi-Fi SD card out there with the oposite function it might perhaps work without the need of special software on the Cybook. The card could somehow be timed to wake up and connect to a network to downlad the latest news feeds. One problem is that the Cybook somehow would have to notice the change of content on the card.

I do not know if such feature would be of any practial use, but it would be fun to pick up the Cybook in the morning and read the morning news.

It sure would. Not only that, it would be nice to be able to download purchased ebooks to my PC (into my normal directory) and then be able to, without having to remove the SD card or plug in the Cybook, upload from said directory to either the SD card or the Cybook itself.

And when am I going to be able to delete an ebook from the Cybook using the Delete/Trash button? I hate having to 'mate' with the PC every time I want to delete an ebook I've finished reading!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote