Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Install custom font on 5.2?

I vaguely recall seeing a thread showing how to install custom font on the k5 without jailbreak and font hack. I'm hoping the same procedure still works on 5.2 (PW). However I can't find the thread. Could someone help?

Thanks!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I vaguely recall seeing a thread showing how to install custom font on the k5 without jailbreak and font hack. I'm hoping the same procedure still works on 5.2 (PW). However I can't find the thread. Could someone help?

Thanks!
Try the prefix index system, I recall that it is indexed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Original post, how to.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Anyone with nearly a 2 million karma should not need any help navigating the site's resources.
It isn't like we have that index hidden at the top of the forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Anyone with nearly a 2 million karma should not need any help navigating the site's resources.
It isn't like we have that index hidden at the top of the forum.
I had a spare time and just wanted to help (consdering OP's explicit request for help and regardless of OP's karma). I'm also curious, whether this method works on 5.2.0, so even little speedup of experiment (by skipping of looking through index) will benefit me.

It isn't like I prevent anybody from using of index.
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
I recall a KPW screenshot showing the font dialog (here) with more fonts to choose from than on KT, and listed by columns.

If the method for adding custom fonts still works the same, I guess that selecting them won't be easy. There's not a lot of space in the font dialog for them (provided that they get listed).
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Unless I'm doing something wrong, this does not seem to work anymore. I'm not getting any additional font choice. I only tried to add one font (with all four styles).

PS: sorry about not looking at the index. Haven't been in here a while and just plain forgot about the stickies.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think in another thread - about taking the new fonts out of the firmware - it was mentioned that the fonts now reside in a cramfs-image, i.e. a compressed filesystem stored in a file itself.

There are tools to extract and create cramfs images, but I'm not sure if there are readily available Windows or Mac OS binaries.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Unless I'm doing something wrong, this does not seem to work anymore. I'm not getting any additional font choice. I only tried to add one font (with all four styles).
You're, most possibly, right.

Fontconfig part is still the same. All fonts that you'll put into /mnt/us/fonts will be found by Fonconfig and, therefore, will be visible to OS (after ;fc-cache, of course).

However, that part of reader application that showed available fonts in font dialog had been changed. I can't find mention of USE_ALT_FONTS anymore. It also seems that list of shown fonts is pre-defined and hard-coded.

(Reader application is a Java code. And Java code was a lot more horribly obfuscated in 5.2.0. It's harder to look through it. Oooh! Bad Amazon. Poor ixtab: > > > ).

I tried to find whether there is another, new [hidden] way to support alternative fonts without jailbreak but I've failed. It's possible that such a way exists (or maybe old way should be just slightly changed). But... at the moment I'm agreeing with you that USE_ALT_FONTS method had been removed from stock firmware.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
(Reader application is a Java code. And Java code was a lot more horribly obfuscated in 5.2.0. It's harder to look through it. Oooh! Bad Amazon. Poor ixtab: > > > ).
What, even more?! - suckers!

This probably also means that *all* (JBPatch) patches will have to essentially be re-developed ("re-reverse-engineered") from scratch for 5.2.0. Not nice, not nice at all. But I'll wait until I get my PW anyway.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #11
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
What, even more?! - suckers!
Summing up my short experiences of looking through code with JD (Java Decompiler): yes.

Decompiled code is horrible enough to replace Freddy Krueger in nightmares. OK, Freddy you can take a breath now. Take a vacation. But don't sleep, Freddy! Or PW Java code will give you, Freddy, a REAL nightmare. Five, two is coming for you...
Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Five, two is coming for you...
3, 4 better stock up some more...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
3, 4 better stock up some more...
1, 2, Polizei!.

OH NO! Please... Alzheimer, amnesia... whatever! I *MUST* forget this atrocity somehow.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
well that's 3:22 I will never get back. Still, nice tassles.

I kept expecting him to say "Hello, how can I help?" heck of a microphone setup.

or perhaps "Grüß dich! wie kann ich helfen?" : )

Last edited by twobob; 10-07-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: vague recollection of GCSE German
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #15
adamselene
Enthusiast
adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle 2
Quote:
I tried to find whether there is another, new [hidden] way to support alternative fonts without jailbreak but I've failed. It's possible that such a way exists (or maybe old way should be just slightly changed). But... at the moment I'm agreeing with you that USE_ALT_FONTS method had been removed from stock firmware.
My Paperwhite magically started doing it after the update to 5.3.0, with the files I had left on it from my previous test (copied verbatim from my Touch). Seems to work for me.
adamselene is offline   Reply With Quote