Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #31
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Quite possibly. And there's nothing to stop others mirroring the tools archive, and downloads from there won't have been counted either.

But in April this year, 19% of Americans owned an ebook reader, and 62% of them owned a Kindle. That's 60 million people with an ebook reader, of which 38 million are Kindles!

Clearly, there are lots and lots of people who are not (yet) concerned about the DRM on their ebooks.
Knowing that I could remove the DRM is enough for me. I don't have to actually do it. I'm intending to read my Kindle books on my Kindle and my Kobo books on my Kobo, at the moment.

I can't honestly remember if I've downloaded the tools or not.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Knowing that I could remove the DRM is enough for me. I don't have to actually do it.
Actually, it might not be "enough"—unless you're speaking of a purely "I would do it if I felt motivated enough to do so, but I'm not" kind of philosophy. But if you're thinking that the option to do so will always waiting—should you change your mind at a later date—you may be in for an unpleasant surprise on that later date.

If you (a rhetorical you at this point) have any intentions of ever removing the DRM from your ebooks, doing so immediately after purchase offers you your best chance of success.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #33
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you (a rhetorical you at this point) have any intentions of ever removing the DRM from your ebooks, doing so immediately after purchase offers you your best chance of success.
That's what I do... for exactly the reason you mention... Currently ADE DRM has been pretty stagnant, which is most of what I get, but there's an escalating battle between Amazon and the tools, so they can quit working at any time... I actually need to update my K4PC and the tools so I can strip my latest freebies. :-)
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #34
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What freebies come with DRM?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
What freebies come with DRM?
Most do. At least, from the big publishers.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #36
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Most do. At least, from the big publishers.
Seems odd, like putting a padlock on your outhouse.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #37
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Seems odd, like putting a padlock on your outhouse.
Not really. What is free today can cost money tomorrow.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #38
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
People don't care about walled gardens NOW. Wait a few years until their current ebook readers die and they are outraged because suddenly all their books are unreadable on their new device. "What's wrong with all my Amazon books? None of them will open on my new Nook!"
You gotta realize though that the vast majority of these folks will buy a book, read it once and archive it, so if they can't read it again on a different device, they won't care all that much.

Some of the folks who like to re-read will be upset, but a lot of those will default to an app.

Me, I decided early on that unless I could strip DRM, I would not be purchasing many books. No one is going to tell me what device I can amd can't read my books on.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, it might not be "enough"—unless you're speaking of a purely "I would do it if I felt motivated enough to do so, but I'm not" kind of philosophy. But if you're thinking that the option to do so will always waiting—should you change your mind at a later date—you may be in for an unpleasant surprise on that later date.

Agreed. I can't claim to do it after every purchase (especially since there are four people purchasing on my account), but about once a month I go in and download all the recently purchased items, strip them, and archive them.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #40
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Well, for me I like the instant gratification of seeing a bunch of books from which to choose when I buy a new reader, so sticking a ton of my pre-existing books gives me a feeling of giddiness, even if I've read it before, just seeing it there. If I were one of those people who didn't understand DRM and went to fetch my previous library to my new reader, I'd be livid and indignant.

So for me, I need to be able to strip the DRM immediately (but with those types I only get the freebies, still because I am a Murphy's Law magnet, where JUST when I decide, yes, a book I was lusting after is worth the double digits, then suddenly something will go wrong and I can't schlurp it to my own master library).

The only books I have willingly put money on are the ones in DRM-free stores. I refuse to give my money for a silly text file that I don't have the ultimate control over how I use it. In fact, I've spent almost as high as $8 for a single book. A book released without DRM just has value and quality to me when it can outlive my gizmo.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #41
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Wow, you're not kidding... I just did a quick check on 10 books that are on my "to get" list, and the prices are brutal... At THESE numbers, I'd expect the publishers and authors to be filing for bankruptcy any day now:

Baldacci, David The Forgotten $14.99
Barr, Nevada The Rope $9.99
Box, C. J. Back of Beyond $9.99
Brown, Dale Tiger's Claw $9.99
Child, Lee A Wanted Man $13.99
O'Connell, Carol The Chalk Girl $9.99
Patterson, James I, Michael Bennett $14.99
Patterson, James 11th Hour $14.99
Sandford, John Stolen Prey $14.99
Thor, Brad Black List $12.99

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is, but I think ALL these are a WHOLE lot more than "20p"...
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #42
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
And don't forget, odds are that half of them will be as badly formatted and proofread as the hand-entered plain ASCII versions you'd find on pirate sites...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
Wow, you're not kidding... I just did a quick check on 10 books that are on my "to get" list, and the prices are brutal... At THESE numbers, I'd expect the publishers and authors to be filing for bankruptcy any day now:

Baldacci, David The Forgotten $14.99
Barr, Nevada The Rope $9.99
Box, C. J. Back of Beyond $9.99
Brown, Dale Tiger's Claw $9.99
Child, Lee A Wanted Man $13.99
O'Connell, Carol The Chalk Girl $9.99
Patterson, James I, Michael Bennett $14.99
Patterson, James 11th Hour $14.99
Sandford, John Stolen Prey $14.99
Thor, Brad Black List $12.99

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is, but I think ALL these are a WHOLE lot more than "20p"...
All glass-tower produced "bestsellers"... did you really expect anything else from those folks?
Try some mid-list/back-list titles or some indies.
There's good reads out there that don't come with name-brand wallet-vacuuming.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #44
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
But in April this year, 19% of Americans owned an ebook reader, and 62% of them owned a Kindle. That's 60 million people with an ebook reader, of which 38 million are Kindles!

Clearly, there are lots and lots of people who are not (yet) concerned about the DRM on their ebooks.
While the biggest majority will be people who haven't even given it a thought and don't even realise there is any potential problem for them (and indeed might never have any problem with DRM), there is quite probably a fairly sizeable number of people who own e-readers (or reading apps for their android tablets/phones) but don't buy any books and just download them from torrents etc. They don't need to bother getting tools to remove the DRM, it's only the people who buy books in the first place that need them.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
While the biggest majority will be people who haven't even given it a thought and don't even realise there is any potential problem for them (and indeed might never have any problem with DRM), there is quite probably a fairly sizeable number of people who own e-readers (or reading apps for their android tablets/phones) but don't buy any books and just download them from torrents etc. They don't need to bother getting tools to remove the DRM, it's only the people who buy books in the first place that need them.
Well, now...
How sizeable is sizeable?
I don't think it is all that big compared to the commercial market and it had better *not* ever get that all big.
It is hard enough fending the multinationals fake "piracy is killing us" stories when piracy is small, if it ever *really* becomes sizeable...

Don't think it is a good idea to be puffing up the numbers of ebook pirates.
Besides, there is plenty of legally free and cheap content to keep most of us "cheapskates" satisfied.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote