Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-06-2020, 12:39 AM   #16
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Anthony Adverse might be of interest. A very big book indeed. Half a million words, or about 5 regular novels in one. It's free right here in the Library, kindle or epub.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #17
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Anthony Adverse might be of interest. A very big book indeed. Half a million words, or about 5 regular novels in one. It's free right here in the Library, kindle or epub.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You want BIG and THICK?

Have I got a solution for all your needs! Try Brazil, by Errol Lincoln Uys.

Uys was James Michener's fact-checker and researcher, and probably wrote parts of some of Michener's later novels. This book is over 1,100 pages long.

Here's the beautiful cover:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	181296  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-13-2020 at 03:10 PM. Reason: researchER
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Since it seems the OP wants stats on exactly how big is big, a more specific plug for the 592,000 word, 1348 page A Suitable Boy
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:29 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I have read the first 2 books from The Australians series. I'm Aussie myself and thought the first 2 were good. But omg the font is so small! They don't seem to be on ebooks, which is how I have read 99.9% of the time for a decade.
Pehaps you've already read the Australian novel, Poor Fellow My Country, by Xavier Herbert?

It's over 2,300 pages in length.
Advert
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Pehaps you've already read the Australian novel, Poor Fellow My Country, by Xavier Herbert?

It's over 2,300 pages in length.
They must be small pages - Every copy I can find for sale is close to the 1463 pages listed in its Wikipedia entry.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:30 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, by Victor Hugo
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
They must be small pages - Every copy I can find for sale is close to the 1463 pages listed in its Wikipedia entry.
I was going by dividing by 1/2 the total page count as listed on Amazon. Let me check my digital copy and see what comes up.....[Cue music]...The book starts at page 28 and goes to 4673. Let me check another source....[Cue music]...OK, it seems that you are correct, and that the book is actually around 1400+ pages.

Thank you!
Old 08-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I was going by dividing by 1/2 the total page count as listed on Amazon. Let me check my digital copy and see what comes up.....[Cue music]...The book starts at page 28 and goes to 4673. Let me check another source....[Cue music]...OK, it seems that you are correct, and that the book is actually around 1400+ pages.

Thank you!

I guess the discrepancy could prompt a discussion on the value and/or definition of page numbers on e-reading devices, but I'm sure that's a topic that would never take off here.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 08-14-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #25
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
850,000 words give or take a few, is the size of "Poor Fellow my Country". More reliable guide to size than page numbers. I hadn't realised it was that vast. Herbert's earlier novel, which I remember at home when I was a kid in the 1950s, "Capricornia", was also vast. I tried to read Capricornia but it was too much: I could barely lift it.

A great big saga sometimes forgotten is "Music of Time", a sequence of 12 novels spanning the period from WW1 to the 1960s. Author was Anthony Powell. Each individual novel is about 80,000 words, so the whole set is around 1,000,000. The central characters are Nicholas Jenkins and Kenneth Widmerpool.

The series:

A Question of Upbringing
Buyers Market
Acceptance World
At Lady Molly's
Casanova's Chinese Restaurant
The Kindly Ones
The Valley of Bones
The Soldier's Art
The Military Philosophers
Books do Furnish a Room
Temporary Kings
Hearing Secret Harmonies
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:21 AM   #26
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, by Victor Hugo
War and Peace, my favorite.

From Hugo, try Les Miserables. It's in the 1400 printed pages length.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #27
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Shayne Parkinson's Promises to keep and Daisy series, set in New Zealand starting in the 1880's. Both series are related. The first book, Sentence of Marriage is free. (Smashwords and Amazon)

P.B. Ryan's Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, set in Boston. The first book, Still Life with Murder is free. (Amazon)
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I guess the discrepancy could prompt a discussion on the value and/or definition of page numbers on e-reading devices, but I'm sue that's a topic that would never take off here.

Yeah, you're right.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #29
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
These books are by Edward Rutherfurd and are pretty large. I know you've read Ruthrfurd, but I'm posting this here for anyone else interest such large tomes.

Series
Dublin Saga
1. The Princes of Ireland (2004) <- 800 pages
2. The Rebels of Ireland (2006) <- 944 pages

Novels
Sarum (1987) <- 1344 Pages
Russka (1991) <- 1024 pages
London (1997) < - 1328 pages
The Forest (2000) <- 912 pages
New York (2009) <- 1040 pages
Paris (2013) <- 848 pages
China (2020) <- due out May 13, 2021
The China one should be interesting. Quite a few years since the last one, so he's been working on it for a while.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #30
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I recommend The Cazalet Chronicles omnibus with 3500 pages. It's seamless. Centres around World War 2. It's in my top 10 books of all time.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote