Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Meditation increases creativity.

Quote:
Meditation Makes You More Creative

ScienceDaily (Apr. 19, 2012) — Certain meditation techniques can promote creative thinking. This is the outcome of a study by cognitive psychologist Lorenza Colzato and her fellow researchers at Leiden University, published 19 April in Frontiers in Cognition.

This study is a clear indication that the advantages of particular types of meditation extend much further than simply relaxation. The findings support the belief that meditation can have a long-lasting influence on human cognition, including how we think and how we experience events.

Two ingredients of creativity

The study investigates the influences of different types of meditative techniques on the two main ingredients of creativity: divergent and convergent styles of thinking.

Divergent thinking Divergent thinking allows many new ideas to be generated. It is measured using the so-called Alternate Uses Task method where participants are required to think up as many uses as possible for a particular object, such as a pen.

Convergent thinking Convergent thinking, on the other hand, is a process whereby one possible solution for a particular probem is generated. This method is measured using the Remote Associates Task method, where three unrelated words are presented to the participants, words such as 'time', 'hair' and 'stretch'. The particpants are then asked to identify the common link: in this case, 'long'.
More/rest here:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0419102317.htm
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I do not think anything can make you creative, you either are , or you are not. Mediation might help clear distractions though.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Meditation or dhyāna in Buddhism and Hinduism is a means to achieve spiritual development or enlightenment. The word meditation may carry different meanings in different contexts, so I guess it would depend on which meaning or context you are referring to. Having practised a little and written a little, I can't say that I personally gained any incites or astral creativity. You really need mind altering drugs for that.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I read that as "medication". A very different thread.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I do not think anything can make you creative, you either are , or you are not. Mediation might help clear distractions though.
I don't think things are so cut and dried as that. There are degrees of creativity, and types of creativity. And like most attributes, a lack of natural capability in a particular area can sometimes be made up for by adapting skills in another, and - more particularly - by hard work and learning the "trade".

Maybe, just maybe, hard work cannot totally replace having at least some creativity - though I've seen people do some impressive things through sheer determination over the years - but I'm more inclined to think that there is a natural culling here, a lack of creativity means a lack of desire to create. Or phrased the other way, creativity drives the desire to create.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I don't think things are so cut and dried as that. There are degrees of creativity, and types of creativity. And like most attributes, a lack of natural capability in a particular area can sometimes be made up for by adapting skills in another, and - more particularly - by hard work and learning the "trade".

Maybe, just maybe, hard work cannot totally replace having at least some creativity - though I've seen people do some impressive things through sheer determination over the years - but I'm more inclined to think that there is a natural culling here, a lack of creativity means a lack of desire to create. Or phrased the other way, creativity drives the desire to create.
I think like me GM, you have seen many writers who know their trade, but what they have created is... well let us say, not very good. Everyone who has a desire to write has the ability to create, but whether it is inspired is another matter.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post

I think I was thinking to narrow...

Some people can walk into a junk yard and see a tank. Grab parts and start building, and presto they come up with a tank. Is this creative?

Some people look at block of wood and sea a bear and they grab some tools and presto they have a bear! Is this creative?

Some people look at a yard full of trucks, and a pile of boxes and the see a route that will efficiently get those boxes to their correct destination. Is this creative?

Some people look at some people look at a new disease that is plaguing humans and see chemical compounds mixing together and presto new medicine! Is this creative?

Some people look at animal prints in the dirt and see the animal, its habits, and the best way to hunt and kill it. Is this creative?

If all of those fall under the definition of creative we are using, then I retract my statement and replace it with EVERYONE is creative, just in their own domain.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Meditation is a lot less valuable to my creativity than stimulation.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Deidre Blue
caffeine freak
Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deidre Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I agree that some of us are naturally more creative than others, but as with every other talent, we need to keep or instruments in good working condition. You can just as easily say that people either have singing talent or they don't, but even the most talented singers have to work and take measures to keep their voices in shape.

As writers, our minds are our instruments. They need to be kept tuned and sharp. I find that my most creative, unblocked work comes after a great workout (which is meditative in its own way), or a yoga session.

I just came across another article a few days ago about this in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...editating.html

I just started practising today, not just for my writing, but for other stress in general. I just did a short session of ten minutes or so...I'll see how things improve over time.
Deidre Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:19 AM   #11
Jeyaprakash84
Jeyaprakash84 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidre Blue View Post
As writers, our minds are our instruments. They need to be kept tuned and sharp. I find that my most creative, unblocked work comes after a great workout (which is meditative in its own way), or a yoga session.
I love that statement.

Knowledge is different and having a new creative idea is different. When one is full of ideas (attained from reading, hearing & seeing), putting it in words in particular way makes a simple writing. It is out of knowledge.

More creative ideas or great inspiration 'comes to the mind' when the mind is empty of preconceived ideas and facts (they help in the background though). Such a writing is full of life. For such a writing to flow through the mind, meditation may be of great help!
Jeyaprakash84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
Meditation is a lot less valuable to my creativity than stimulation.
Are your meditations not stimulating?
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
Are your meditations not stimulating?
Meditation does not stimulate me.

It DOES center me, calm me, focus me.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Meditation does not stimulate me.

It DOES center me, calm me, focus me.
You're obviously meditating on the wrong things!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
kennyc

Dagnabit! No wonder my books aren't selling!