Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
gmail to access app store?

I have finally decided to take the plunge and get a NC and root it. This is probably the first of many questions! I vaguely remember reading that you had to have a gmail address on your BN account to be able to access the Android App Store. Is that true? I don't have that at the moment, but would be easy to change if necessary. Thanks for your help!
Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Yes, that is correct. If you want to "root" the B&N software, and have access to the Android Market, you will need a gmail account, and I believe you also need to "register" that gmail account w/ youtube. The rooting process uses a trick to get your gmail account entered into the nook color by actually logging into youtube first.

If you go to gmail.com, you can set up a free gmail address. Then go to youtube, and use that gmail address to login.

Once your gmail address is created, you can go into the gmail settings (on the gmail website) and set up gmail to forward any email sent to your gmail account to your regular email account. That way you don't have to keep checking your gmail if you don't want to. Although if you never give your gmail address to anyone, you won't get any email there. The android market will only send email to that address if you purchase apps (receipts etc.).
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
I have finally decided to take the plunge and get a NC and root it. This is probably the first of many questions! I vaguely remember reading that you had to have a gmail address on your BN account to be able to access the Android App Store. Is that true? I don't have that at the moment, but would be easy to change if necessary. Thanks for your help!
Mary
Congrats! I keep thinking about doing this, but just have not yet....please keep us posted on your experience with it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #4
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I have a gmail account but it is not registered at BN, so that is the first (and the easiest ) thing I have to do. What finally decided this for me was the fact that OliveTree is now on the BN market. I wanted a tablet mainly for that program, and I figure if I really can't root it, then I will just get it the regular way (although I want to root for other things too). Now I just have to find the time this week to buy/root it. Since I am working nights, I am sure that will be easy

Mary
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
My gmail account is not registered either with youtube or BN, and I log into the Market just fine.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
My gmail account is not registered either with youtube or BN, and I log into the Market just fine.
The Google Android Market only needs your Google Gmail account for proper operation. I suspect that B&N may want you to register a valid email account with B&N to use the B&N Market though. I have never used the stock software, so that is why I can only say "I suspect".
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The Google Android Market only needs your Google Gmail account for proper operation. I suspect that B&N may want you to register a valid email account with B&N to use the B&N Market though. I have never used the stock software, so that is why I can only say "I suspect".
I have a couple of magazine subscriptions from BN, but I use another email for that. Still works.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I have a couple of magazine subscriptions from BN, but I use another email for that. Still works.
Of course, why wouldn't it? B&N should accept any valid email address for their app store, it is only Google that wants you to have GoogleMail(Gmail) account for their app store.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #9
rxmom03
Addict

Ok, I just bought my NookColor before work tonight and it is home charging as we speak. But since I am working nights this week, it may be a week before I really get a chance to do the "rootin' thang" (can you tell I'm origionally from Texas?) Although I have realized that with changing my email at BN.com to my gmail address means I have to change it on my Nook Touch...and I will lose all my shelves Oh, well.

Mary
Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Ok, I just bought my NookColor before work tonight and it is home charging as we speak. But since I am working nights this week, it may be a week before I really get a chance to do the "rootin' thang" (can you tell I'm origionally from Texas?) Although I have realized that with changing my email at BN.com to my gmail address means I have to change it on my Nook Touch...and I will lose all my shelves Oh, well.

Mary
Change it back - you don't need to use a gmail address at BN - any address will do.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
rxmom03
Addict

Quote:
Change it back - you don't need to use a gmail address at BN - any address will do.
Already gone past that But from what I understand, you do need your NC registered with a gmail addy to be able to use the Android Market once the NC is rooted.

I doubt I will try to root this until next week (when I have more time), but this is a gorgeous little tablet and I think I am in love

Mary
Old 07-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Already gone past that But from what I understand, you do need your NC registered with a gmail addy to be able to use the Android Market once the NC is rooted.

I doubt I will try to root this until next week (when I have more time), but this is a gorgeous little tablet and I think I am in love

Mary
You need to register with a Google account at the Android Market. You don't need to register with a Gmail address with BN.

Those are two completely different things.

I have my NC registered at BN with my Yahoo address.