Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2023, 09:03 AM   #1
evilbunny1114
evilbunny1114 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White (7th Gen)
PW3 Serial Connected No USB Access

Hello, Long time lurker here but I find myself at a point where I cant progress any further and looking for some help if anyone can be of assistance.

Background:
-Purchased a Used PW3 - Serial (G090 G1....) FW 5.16.2.1.1 from woot.com not long back.
-Used it as a normal kindle and had never connected to my computer though USB only charged via non-data USB ports. At this point I had fully access to my device as a normal kindle. (you'll see why this is important in a minute)

-Learned a bit about jail breaking these devices and I fancy myself a bit of a tinkerer so thought why not, lets try it and i started to follow the steps of THIS thread.

-I got to the point where I entered ';enter_demo' mode and my device booted up in the demo mode. I went to the connect USB steps and this is where things have gone sideways. My device plugs into my PC and starts to charge but it will not show up as a USB device. I've tried multiple PCs, multiple USB cables (known working), tried the ';uzb' command, but no luck in getting it to connect. I've let it charge to 100%, drain to 25%, same result.

-Now my device is stuck in this state where I don't have access to all of the features even after ';exit-demo' mode. Ex. I cant change my wifi connection, reset device, change pass code, etc. These setting are greyed out and say 'Contact System Administrator'. I have noticed that in the Device Info menu tab it now says "Policy ID: demo' which was not there previously.

-Remember above where I said you'll see why this is important, here is that point. I never tested my refurb device connected to a PC until this point. So I cant rule that out the USB port as a problem/not a problem. It still charges fine.

-So far I have tried everything I can find on this forum to get my device back to a original state including cracking it open and connecting via serial but I have had no luck because I cant get it to connect to my PC which seems to be a critical step in all tutorials. I even reflowed solder on the USB pins in case that was an issue. Nothing, and it still only charges.

I'm at a loss everyone. If you have any ideas I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks in advance!
evilbunny1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 07:36 PM   #2
evilbunny1114

Wanted to give an update. I managed to get out of the ‘managed’ mode by removing my WiFi settings while in the demo mode and then progressing to ‘resell’. Had not tried this before but it seems to work and returns my kindle to a factory state.

Still no luck with usb connection though
Old 11-16-2023, 10:17 PM   #3
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Have you inspected the USB jack on the PW3? It is possible that the connectors have been damaged and only the power connectors are functional.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:55 AM   #4
evilbunny1114

Had to buy some needles cause my multi meter doesn't have fine enough probes. Proceeded to test USB cable end to pins on the backside of the port which test fine for continuity so I presume no issue on the plug/cable side. However I did notice the GDN pin is a bit lose to the board so I will try and reflow again/backup with some thin wire. I cant imagine this is it though. Will report back.

Tags
jailbreak, pw3, serial, usb