Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
Raphi'Elohim
Banned
Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Raphi'Elohim can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: NOOK Glowlight plus 2
The Joy of X by Steven Strogatz

Alright, this is the book I am reading (in the title of the thread) it is a book for people who don't like math or who did not do well in math but think it is important for an informed educated citizen to know to live in the modern world.

I blame the way it is taught in North America by rote only but in this book he applies it to everyday life and to pop culture. As I am not a professional reviewer I will not re-invent the wheel it is a New York Times best seller so there are plenty of good review to choose from :

“Delightful . . . easily digestible chapters include plenty of helpful examples and illustrations. You'll never forget the Pythagorean theorem again!”—Scientific American

Many people take math in high school and promptly forget much of it. But math plays a part in all of our lives all of the time, whether we know it or not. In The Joy of x, Steven Strogatz expands on his hit New York Times series to explain the big ideas of math gently and clearly, with wit, insight, and brilliant illustrations.

Whether he is illuminating how often you should flip your mattress to get the maximum lifespan from it, explaining just how Google searches the internet, or determining how many people you should date before settling down, Strogatz shows how math connects to every aspect of life. Discussing pop culture, medicine, law, philosophy, art, and business, Strogatz is the math teacher you wish you’d had. Whether you aced integral calculus or aren’t sure what an integer is, you’ll find profound wisdom and persistent delight in The Joy of x.

If you are a big fiction reader these are the skills you will need to read it : analytical reading :

https://fastertomaster.com/how-to-re...timer-j-adler/

If you like this book I also recommend these :

How Not to Be Wrong : The Power of Mathematical thinking by Jordan Ellenberg

Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and It's consequences

P.S. Since the book was a New York Times best seller the ebook should be available at the 3 main stores : Amazon, Kobo , and B&N.

Last edited by Raphi'Elohim; 07-09-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Raphi'Elohim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
education, innumeracy, math, non-fiction